Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, I'm not a programmer, don't pretend to be, and don't want to be; so please, correct me if I'm wrong.

JVM = Java Virtual Machine, correct?
    If there is a JVM embedded in WebOS, why would it not be able to run Java?
    It can but any Java code it's running is part of the OS and is running "server side". Third Party apps are essentially running in the browser. BTW We know there is a JVM because someone posted a screen dump of a stack trace from a java exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I agree with you here. My point is, Datebk does not need java to run. At all. The whole app could be easily done with the WebOS framework. Their claim that javascript doesnt have the performance they need is complete nonsense. It's a database viewer. That's exactly what websites are designed for.
    I don't buy there performance argument either. Google Calender seems fast enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    I'm making a nice living off my ANSI C, thank you very much
    No doubt. There is a hell of a lot of C code in WebOS (and PalmOS, Windows Mobile, OS-X, Symbian ...).
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    I'm talking strictly web apps here. I agree that other more robust languages are better for desktop applications (I've done it for ~20 years myself also) but give Javascript a chance. I hated it at first too.

Oh, btw. x86 ASM was the bomb. Back when all you had to worry about was running your code in a 64k segment and addressing 640k of ram you couldn't beat it. I'd write a few routines in assembly and call them from C. Man those were the days.
    If I was developing a web app I would certainly use Javascript over an Java or Siverlight applet just for robustness or performance. My biggest beef with javascript is the same beef I have with Perl, its ugly looking and hard to read. In my experiance code that is hard to read is hard to maintain. The classic Perl joke is its a write only language. Maintenance is less of an issue with web apps because they tend to be rewritten frequently.

The x86 segment registers certainly made life interesting, particularly if you had to interface to C code.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234