Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    Oops. My bad.

I've been coding for 10 years now and have frequently seen these "fanboy" type of arguments of language X is sooo much better than language Y. It's quite funny to see it portrayed here with the Pre. I've seen a few of Douglas Crockfords Javascript sessions and I was under the impression that it was common knowledge now that Javascript not only is the worlds most popular; most widely used development language but that people who used to hate it now realize what a superior language it has turned into.
    Well, let's not go overboard. Javascript is great for web-stuff, but as a language, it is lacking quite a bit. Things like true OOP, threading, and native compiled performance are a few of what javascript really needs to be an awesome language. With that said, Datebk could easily be written in javascript without any performance issues. Unless, they manage to write very horribly inefficient apps.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    I keep wondering something that seems almost painfully obvious to me - don't you folks think that Java will eventually be available for the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Well, let's not go overboard. Javascript is great for web-stuff, but as a language, it is lacking quite a bit. Things like true OOP, threading, and native compiled performance are a few of what javascript really needs to be an awesome language. With that said, Datebk could easily be written in javascript without any performance issues. Unless, they manage to write very horribly inefficient apps.
    Should have been more clear - I'm talking about web apps and platforms such as the Pre that are based on web apps. Personally I'd take ANSI C over anything. I'm probably one of the few who think OOP is waay over-rated.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I keep wondering something that seems almost painfully obvious to me - don't you folks think that Java will eventually be available for the Pre?
    Well eventually, once Palm gives us some true API's and not just the SDK, the sky will be the limit. I think in the mean time, Javascript + Mojo will be more than sufficient for anything this side of some hard core gaming apps.
    How do you figure? Surely the SDK will allow access to synergy and the data that it pulls in.
    I'm not going to hunt for it now, but in the preview chapters of the WebOS programming book that have been posted here, it said that one of the "security" features of the SDK is that applications don't have access to other application's data. Created a big stir at the time.

Clearly there are exceptions for favored developers (i.e., the Fandango app can write to the calendar), but it doesn't appear that level of access will be available to the great unwashed mass of developers.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote from that link...

This is a rather unsophisticated environment with very poor
    performance - only simple apps are going to run reasonably.
    Really? How is it that they have a "certified" version of their application to run in the Classic App? I suppose there is a difference between native and emulated, but performance can't be the reason it won't work, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    It's obvious this guy doesn't know what he's talking about since he talks about access to the "underlying JVM." JavaScript doesn't use the JVM, as it's not related to Java.
    There is a JVM embedded in the Pre's system software. Its part of the embedded webserver.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I'm not going to hunt for it now, but in the preview chapters of the WebOS programming book that have been posted here, it said that one of the "security" features of the SDK is that applications don't have access to other application's data. Created a big stir at the time.

Clearly there are exceptions for favored developers (i.e., the Fandango app can write to the calendar), but it doesn't appear that level of access will be available to the great unwashed mass of developers.
    I could be wrong here but even though you wont have access to other apps data, you *should* have access to syngergy itself since it's a part of WebOS and not necessarily the calendar app. I'm sure all the calendar app is doing is calling hooks into synergy and the SDK should offer access to this. It's the selling point of the phone - it wouldn't make much sense if you couldn't develop apps to take advantage of it.
    Yeah, but as far as I know, Datebk is only available for PalmOS. It's dead. They have to port their app anyway to a new platform eventually. Since a lot of Datebk users will be switching to WebOS, and since Palm has always positioned themselves as a business-centric mobile company, Datebk makes the most sense on WebOS, and not iPhone, Symbian, or Android.

But hey, if they want to lose out on a huge opportunity and offer other companies to fill in that void (like possibly mine!), they more power to them. But their excuses that they made are pretty weak, and I have actually lost a little bit of respect for Pimlical.
    Pimlical has been developing a new application in Java initially for Windows but with the intent of porting to other platforms including the Blackberry. They are currently not planning to port to the iPhone and the Pre.
    Should have been more clear - I'm talking about web apps and platforms such as the Pre that are based on web apps. Personally I'd take ANSI C over anything. I'm probably one of the few who think OOP is waay over-rated.
    You are someone I won't be hiring then.
    Oops. My bad.

I've been coding for 10 years now and have frequently seen these "fanboy" type of arguments of language X is sooo much better than language Y. It's quite funny to see it portrayed here with the Pre. I've seen a few of Douglas Crockfords Javascript sessions and I was under the impression that it was common knowledge now that Javascript not only is the worlds most popular; most widely used development language but that people who used to hate it now realize what a superior language it has turned into.
    When I started coding professionally about 22 years ago, unstructured Basic was the worlds most popular language. Another popular language was Cobol. Neither was a particularly good programming language. My first project out of school was written in 8086 Assembler. The 8086 was the most popular micro computer CPU but its memory architecture was nasty. The less popular 68000 had a lovely 32bit instruction set.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it is good. Just because Google can produce a nice little web app (google maps is proably there best) with Javascript doesn't mean it should be used to develop every application. Google are probably not using javascript to implent their IMAP server or for Google Earth.

If I had to be limited to one language (which I would not want to be), I would rather it was Java.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Pimlical has been developing a new application in Java initially for Windows but with the intent of porting to other platforms including the Blackberry. They are currently not planning to port to the iPhone and the Pre.
    lol, so Pimlical is not going to target 40 million users with the mOSX platform? Goes against their whole claim that the Pre doesnt have a strong enough userbase yet.

Sounds like they just dont want to spend the time to do any ports.
    Developer of:

When I started coding professionally about 22 years ago, unstructured Basic was the worlds most popular language. Another popular language was Cobol. Neither was a particularly good programming language. My first project out of school was written in 8086 Assembler. The 8086 was the most popular micro computer CPU but its memory architecture was nasty. The less popular 68000 had a lovely 32bit instruction set.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it is good. Just because Google can produce a nice little web app (google maps is proably there best) with Javascript doesn't mean it should be used to develop every application. Google are probably not using javascript to implent their IMAP server or for Google Earth.

If I had to be limited to one language (which I would not want to be), I would rather it was Java.
    I agree with you here. My point is, Datebk does not need java to run. At all. The whole app could be easily done with the WebOS framework. Their claim that javascript doesnt have the performance they need is complete nonsense. It's a database viewer. That's exactly what websites are designed for.
    Developer of:

But hey, if they want to lose out on a huge opportunity and offer other companies to fill in that void (like possibly mine!), they more power to them.
    Sounds like you should get busy. Why wait for the SDK.
    Sounds like you should get busy. Why wait for the SDK.
    We're testing out the waters to see what apps we should bring to WebOS. If Agendus or Datebk is in the works, we dont want to try and compete. We'll go for another genre of apps.

If they dont, we'll fill the void. I have been a HUGE Agendus fan since Agendus 10, and will try and write a similar app if no one else plans to release one.
    Developer of:

We're testing out the waters to see what apps we should bring to WebOS. If Agendus or Datebk is in the works, we dont want to try and compete. We'll go for another genre of apps.

If they dont, we'll fill the void. I have been a HUGE Agendus fan since Agendus 10, and will try and write a similar app if no one else plans to release one.
    Well I guess you can cross Datebk of your list of competitors. What is Agendus planning?
    You are someone I won't be hiring then.
    I'm making a nice living off my ANSI C, thank you very much

I'm talking strictly web apps here. I agree that other more robust languages are better for desktop applications (I've done it for ~20 years myself also) but give Javascript a chance. I hated it at first too.

Oh, btw. x86 ASM was the bomb. Back when all you had to worry about was running your code in a 64k segment and addressing 640k of ram you couldn't beat it. I'd write a few routines in assembly and call them from C. Man those were the days.
    lol, so Pimlical is not going to target 40 million users with the mOSX platform? Goes against their whole claim that the Pre doesnt have a strong enough userbase yet.

Sounds like they just dont want to spend the time to do any ports.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    There is a JVM embedded in the Pre's system software. Its part of the embedded webserver.
    OK, I'm not a programmer, don't pretend to be, and don't want to be; so please, correct me if I'm wrong.

JVM = Java Virtual Machine, correct?
    If there is a JVM embedded in WebOS, why would it not be able to run Java?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast