Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I want to love the Pre but the reality is that it doesn't yet perform the functions I heavily rely upon, and even with the Airave the signal strength and call quality is inconsistent.

I called Sprint today to inquire about my new contract, old plan, etc. and the CSR said everything on the account reverts back to its pre-Pre state when I return the phone. Contract is nullified and I can go back on the service plan I had prior to getting the Pre. Nothing mentioned about the Airave though.

Just as an unusual side note -- my de-activated Treo is continuing to receive voicemails. When I try to retrieve I get a message that says I am in a Sprint private network and need to move outside it to get service. I don't recall any other of my de-activated phones ever being able to register voicemails.

Robyn
    Palm Pilot -->Handspring Visor -->Handspring Visor Edge-->Treo 300-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->Treo 755p
    Ahh.. what a pleasure to read this.
    The Pre didn't work for you, but you didn't bash it and posted some information that other people may be able to use!

Nice post.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Indeed, thanks for the post and the info. Today, I made the decision that there's no turning back. I love this thing too much. I activated our old sprint htc touch phones for my two kids today (complete with win 6.5 rom upgrade). They are in heaven coming from a dumb phone - and I'm loving life with my pre. Everybody wins.
    John Y - Aka Levelbest

Check out JOHNfm streaming on your Pre @ http://johnfm.com/pre
    Levelbest's Pre Wallpapers
    If what you say is true, that's very good to hear. For many people unhappy with the pre and who don't feel like they need to have one of the latest eye-candy gadgets, there are still several good work-horse phones available on Sprint, including Treo's, Blackberries, and WinMo phones. I've been leaning towards getting an iPhone 3GS myself, but I would rather stay with Sprint than go with AT&T.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    OP, I don't know whether this applies, yet I just found something on the Sprint website that seems to contradict what the CSR told you. Hopefully this doesn't apply though.

I am not allowed to post a link, so google the following phrase to find it:

"Some important things to know abut the Palm® Pre™"

Specifically, I found the following:

If you're a current customer upgrading to this phone
    After you receive your new phone, you can activate it online. If you don't already have one of the data plans we offer today, you'll need to select one of the data plans listed above when you activate your Pre.
    Please note: If you switch from a plan we no longer offer, and for some reason you decide to go back to your old phone, please be aware that you won't be able to switch back to your old plan. However, you will be able to switch to other plans we currently offer.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roninj View Post
    Please note: If you switch from a plan we no longer offer, and for some reason you decide to go back to your old phone, please be aware that you won't be able to switch back to your old plan. However, you will be able to switch to other plans we currently offer.
    Thanks for finding this.
    The plan I originally had came from retentions and was not currently offered anywhere else so it will be interesting to see if I can regain it. The CSR may not have realized that when I spoke with her.

Robyn
    Palm Pilot -->Handspring Visor -->Handspring Visor Edge-->Treo 300-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by RobynG View Post
    Thanks for finding this.
    The plan I originally had came from retentions and was not currently offered anywhere else so it will be interesting to see if I can regain it. The CSR may not have realized that when I spoke with her.

Robyn
    I was told twice when I changed to an "Everything" plan that I would not be able to return to my now-discontinued plan. I think you're going to lose it.
    Well I guess I take back the nice things I said about Sprint then.
    Just ask, they'll work with you. I had to switch my awesome unlimited data/text plan to some other crappy plan when I got my Treo 755p. I was told by the rep at the store that it would be the same as she switched me, so I had to call CS when I later realized it. They gave me a credit each month for the duration of the contract to offset the increased rates, and they gave me an instant $75 credit because they thought I would cancel. I never told them I was going to cancel, they just assumed it I guess.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Well I guess I take back the nice things I said about Sprint then.
    Uh... Sprint told people upfront that they couldn't go back. Not Sprint's fault that people are impatient to actually WAIT to see how a device does.

Tough cookies..

I left a $100/2500 minute retentions plan. I'm perfectly happy with my Everything Data 3000 with four lines, NW@6, Pick Three + company discount. Actually comes out to about the same. Sprint is still an EXTREMELY well-priced product line.

Oh... and I returned by my Pre and my wife's Pre. Not upset with Sprint. I knew what I was doing...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Sprint really is the cheapest carrier by FAR out there. I really like their service, just not their cell phones... boring. GSM gets all the new toys...

Yes, sprint did get the Pre... still trying to figure out how they swung that....
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roninj View Post
    After much time and research, I decided to switch back to my Treo 755p from the Pre. The Pre's sexy interface and high resolution will be missed but I am happy to have recurring events, hidden tasks, Datebk and more control over contacts back. The 2 weeks with the Pre really made me appreciate how much I relied on these functions.

Account services was able to switch me back to my old plan -- one that I obtained from retentions a couple years ago -- even though it is no longer offered. They nullified my new 2-year agreement and didn't mention anything about the free Airave they sent me. We still have one happy Pre owner in the house so the Airave is very helpful for signal strength.

I'll continue reading this forum and watching for Pre updates. I am still very impressed with the phone and hope to re-visit it when it performs more the functions I need.

Thanks for all that I've learned through you dedicated users.

Robyn
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Uh... Sprint told people upfront that they couldn't go back. Not Sprint's fault that people are impatient to actually WAIT to see how a device does.

Tough cookies..
    Yup, the fine print states that. The OP stated that a rep told them they could get them back to their old plan, so I was giving Sprint special kudos for going out of their way to do the right thing (and, yes, I consider it the right thing to let someone get back to the way things were if they returned a phone within the return period). Personally, I don't think any of us should have to change plans to get the pre in the first place, so I figure that this is the least they can do.

The argument that people should "wait it out" until lots of user reviews have poured in, or deal with the consequences, is always good advice but, in the context of this thread, I'm not sure that Sprint would agree with you. Their marketing/advertising seems to be pushing this as the greatest thing ever. I don't think they want a lot of people to decide to "sit it out for a while" or go with something else on some other carrier. And they do seem to be trying hard to make their customers happy, with free/discounted Airave's and, in this case, getting someone back onto their old inexpensive plan (whether they'd do the same for a SERO user remains to be seen).

Anyways, based on the last post in this thread, it looks like kudos to Sprint are still in order. FWIW, I just bought two new iPhone 3GS's (for me and my wife) on Friday. I'll definitely miss Sprint. Their coverage was better in my area, the Airave sounded cool (AT&T is testing femtocell out, too, but hasn't rolled it out), and I've always been relatively pleased with their customer service. Their new rates were only a little better than AT&T's, though, so for better or worse, that became a non-factor in my decision. I sincerely hope that bugs/QC issues get worked out on the pre soon and both Sprint and Palm do well. Competition is a good thing, and I'll be anxious to see what the next Sprint webOS device looks like.

Edit: Oh, and I hope all of the Treo users who either bought a pre and switched back to the Treo or never bothered getting a pre to begin with (because they knew that the classic Palm OS had a lot of usability/efficiency advantages over the pre) continue to be vocal about their disappointment in the way Palm is advancing the webOS platform. Hopefully Palm will see the light, Hawkins will pull a Steve Job and return to the helm, and we'll all have the best of both worlds: A modern-day multitasking eye-candilicious OS/GUI that is as efficient, if not moreso, than the classic Palm OS.
    Last edited by Scott R; 06/20/2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by levelbest View Post
    Indeed, thanks for the post and the info. Today, I made the decision that there's no turning back. I love this thing too much. I activated our old sprint htc touch phones for my two kids today (complete with win 6.5 rom upgrade). They are in heaven coming from a dumb phone - and I'm loving life with my pre. Everybody wins.

how did you update your HTC i have one and would like to know

mt
    im on the same fence....would like to see TP2 come out by 7/6 but thats not going to happen. BB curve is nice but again not a fan of the keyboard....the new iphone looks nice but at&t does not have thrill me and verizon is lame with their tatics on locking phones down (could say the same for the iphone).

Just really bummed at the complete lack of "Basic" features missing from the pre!! and the hardware is lame, nothing like having a makeup mirror attached to your phone(what the hell was that about). I love webos but i just dont have much faith in Palm, they just dont have the resources to compete or even fix their own software based on what i have seen thus far. I mean come on even jitterbug has basic features!