Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Who else phone takes a whole 2 minutes to boot? Iv'e had other windows mobile phone that has not even come close to that. What is the deal with this? This supposedly the fastest processor in any smart phone. Just don't get it. Someone important could be calling me while this thing boots up like an old 386 running vista. I wouldn't mind it if I did not have to charge the battery every 6 hours. 2 minutes and I timed it. May just be my phone.

Anyone else?
    How often are you rebooting?

I haven't rebooted mine since it first came out of the box...
    guess you've never owned a blackberry then. Why are you turning it off?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    In order to run multiple applications on the fly the Pre forms a warp bubble that compresses space and time around the device, its only logical it takes a few moments to boot up. So the next time you're waiting for it start up just look to your left and say "Mr Laforge... engage"

Yes mine takes a while to book up? 2 minutes? No. But its certainly around a minute.
    It does take a bit to boot up, but how often are you really going to do that?
    I've only done that once in a little over a week that I had the phone.

A restart does not take nearly as long, it's only when cold booting.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Why am I turning it off? Let me tell you ..Google maps sits at the loading screen(forever), press a key during a call and nothing happens(example would be during voicemail), screen sometimes won't go off when I put it to my face to talk, movies I have loaded sometimes won't play ..just sits there loading, the phone tells me I missed a call then it just shuts down(have to reboot to get it up), sometimes when I pick it up it is alive but it is dead at the same time ..I have to reboot, sluggish even though nothing is running, ..etc. I can go on and on.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Mine doesn't take 2 minutes.... about just under a minute.

My Storm would take between 3-5 minutes.
    It is inevitable that a complicated multitasking OS which has a lot to initialise is going to take a finite time to boot. What does it matter. It is not something that you are going to be doing very often.
    Take some ADD meds if the Pre boot time is too long. BlackBerry's take 30 minutes to start up. Even a loaded up Palm OS treo takes a little over a minute. The Pre is not a dumb phone...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    The comments about BlackBerry devices are so true. My gosh they take a long time for boot up; I cringe everytime I need to reboot my 8900.

I can make a cup of coffee and write a report before it's back up and running.
    This is the longest booting phone I've had. No Blackberry for me.
    I thought of timing a few times got bored and walked off.
    I've had a few slow-downs where I wanted to restart, a couple apps hung and a couple times it rebooted on it's own for now obvious reason.
    I hate seeing that glowing "Palm".
    Yeah, I was pretty frustrated on launch day......when it booted for the first time! Hasn't been booted since.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Since I got my Pre June 6th, I haven't had to reboot it (only for the firmware update and one reboot to test the time it took). The memory (ram) seems pretty efficient to me and seems to retrieve used memory back when you close applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    The memory (ram) seems pretty efficient to me and seems to retrieve used memory back when you close applications.
    The phone is running Linux, so it should be extremely efficient.
    I'm cold booting at least twice a day. (have to have my phone off at work) Mine takes about 2 minutes as well.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Have you all ever had to do a battery pull on a Blackberry? This phone has amazing reboot time compared to any Blackberry.
    There should really be no reason to reboot much , if you have to reboot alot then I recomend replacing the phone as it might be defective. i run everything , have multi apps on etc and no reboots yet and its 2 weeks now. I understand an occasional reboot is needed. every phone has it . but as often as it sounds might be an defective phone. And mine isnt 2 minutes. no longer than my Centro or HTC Touch pro used to take.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Let me start this by saying I absolutely love my Pre but I am getting a little annoyed with my boot time. I tend to have lots of cards open at once and over a few days or maybe a week my Pre gets to the point where something takes up all the memory and I have to reboot if I want to have more than a card or two open. I have never had it where I was forced to reset my phone because it was unresponsive, just reseting it so I have full use of the Pre's ram.

The time it takes to turn the Pre off and boot it back up: 6 minutes
    The time it takes to reset the pre orange key + sym + R: 5 minutes

Does this seem a little long to anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    Who else phone takes a whole 2 minutes to boot? Iv'e had other windows mobile phone that has not even come close to that. What is the deal with this? This supposedly the fastest processor in any smart phone. Just don't get it. Someone important could be calling me while this thing boots up like an old 386 running vista. I wouldn't mind it if I did not have to charge the battery every 6 hours. 2 minutes and I timed it. May just be my phone.

Anyone else?
    I'm impressed. You got Vista to run on an old 386?
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    The time it takes to turn the Pre off and boot it back up: 6 minutes
    The time it takes to reset the pre orange key + sym + R: 5 minutes

Does this seem a little long to anyone else?
    It's slightly faster than my Blackberry Tour.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast