1.    #1  
    No, this isn't intended to be another "BYE, I'M TEH LEAVIN'" thread (I've been around TC a long time...). Yes, I did just cancel Sprint and will be returning my Pre. Had nothing really to do with the Pre (outstanding device) rather it concerns Sprint's coverage at my work and on my commute. I have been on vacation and just returned to work today. I get 0-1 bar in my building and don't receive email at all (?). On my drive home, I dropped calls like nobody's business. When I got back into an EVDO area with decent bars, my Gmail starts pumping mail into my Pre. Not sure why I wasn't receiving mail at work w/a non-EVDO signal and 0-1 bar (calls worked - barely) but whatever. These issues are far more than I care to deal with. Plus, I conduct a lot of work calls during my commute. Sprint simply won't work for me unless they throw up some towers fast (in the Pocono Mtns...doubtful).

These issues simply prevent me from having Sprint/Pre. I'm not a hater, etc, et. al. Palm made a great device.

I also had shoddy reception in my home, which prompted me to call customer service. They sent me a free Airave which should be here tomorrow or Thursday.

My question is this: My account is already canceled with Sprint and my number ported back to my ATT BB Bold. I was charged for the Airave and the CSR credited my Sprint account for $100.

When the Airave arrives, do I get to keep it or do I have to send it back? I'm inclined to think I can keep it since I paid for it on my Visa.

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    You can just refuse delivery, UPS will return it to Sprint's warehouse. If they leave it at your door, just take to an UPS Store, Staples or OfficeDepot and tell them you are refusing delivery.

What would you do with an Airave now anyway? (One that you got credited for!)
    Did i miss something or doesn't the airave only work with Sprint, what would you do with it on the AT&T network ?
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Did i miss something or doesn't the airave only work with Sprint, what would you do with it on the AT&T network ?
    You missed nothing. I paid for it and will sell it once I receive it. Clearly I know it won't work with ATT/GSM.

Edit: Before the morality police come knocking, I was given this by Sprint at their choice. They offered it to me free. I charged it to my card and they credited my now canceled account for the cost of the device. At the end of the day, I paid for the Airave.

Nevermind, guess the best thing to do is send it back to Sprint and have them refund me the $100 some odd dollars I originally paid for it.
  5. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    No, this isn't intended to be another "BYE, I'M TEH LEAVIN'" thread (I've been around TC a long time...). Yes, I did just cancel Sprint and will be returning my Pre. Had nothing really to do with the Pre (outstanding device) rather it concerns Sprint's coverage at my work and on my commute. I have been on vacation and just returned to work today. I get 0-1 bar in my building and don't receive email at all (?). On my drive home, I dropped calls like nobody's business. When I got back into an EVDO area with decent bars, my Gmail starts pumping mail into my Pre. Not sure why I wasn't receiving mail at work w/a non-EVDO signal and 0-1 bar (calls worked - barely) but whatever. These issues are far more than I care to deal with. Plus, I conduct a lot of work calls during my commute. Sprint simply won't work for me unless they throw up some towers fast (in the Pocono Mtns...doubtful).

These issues simply prevent me from having Sprint/Pre. I'm not a hater, etc, et. al. Palm made a great device.

I also had shoddy reception in my home, which prompted me to call customer service. They sent me a free Airave which should be here tomorrow or Thursday.

My question is this: My account is already canceled with Sprint and my number ported back to my ATT BB Bold. I was charged for the Airave and the CSR credited my Sprint account for $100.

When the Airave arrives, do I get to keep it or do I have to send it back? I'm inclined to think I can keep it since I paid for it on my Visa.

Thoughts?
    Sorry to see you leave man. What device will you be using with AT&T (just curious)?
    You missed nothing. I paid for it and will sell it once I receive it. Clearly I know it won't work with ATT/GSM.

Edit: Before the morality police come knocking, I was given this by Sprint at their choice. They offered it to me free. I charged it to my card and they credited my now canceled account for the cost of the device. At the end of the day, I paid for the Airave.

Nevermind, guess the best thing to do is send it back to Sprint and have them refund me the $100 some odd dollars I originally paid for it.
    Good to see you came to that conclusion. You're right, they gave it to you, to keep you as a customer. Since you're not staying, you're doing the right thing.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    It's the phone man ..Iv'e been with sprint for 11 years and the Pre is the worst phone I ever had as far as reception. Sanyo was the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    It's the phone man ..Iv'e been with sprint for 11 years and the Pre is the worst phone I ever had as far as reception. Sanyo was the best.
    So TRUE!!!! I have had sprint that long as well. Several phones during that time. Seriously, it's ALL about the cell phone and NOT the carrier. Once i started researching the signal receiving strength of the phone before I purchased (LG and Sanyos used to be the strongest) Sprint coverage and reception has been FANTASTIC!!!!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Sorry to see you leave man. What device will you be using with AT&T (just curious)?
    Blackberry Bold. Incredible device...guess I just miss the dead simplicity of communication with a BB. It's hard to beat this as it's BB's forte. The keyboard on the Bold and crazy battery life pushed me over the edge. Plus PIN messaging saves me SMSs w/my friends on other carriers.

I hate to go. I really liked the Pre (minus the paltry battery life and questionable reception). Plus I was constantly worried I'd crack my screen like others have (just by it sitting on the Touchstone? Yikes.).

It was especially hard considering my side of the family has Sprint. My wife's has ATT. Oh well, just use N&W so my family doesn't run out of minutes.

I'm sure I'll be back one day, for now, Sprint/Pre just wasn't working for me...and I already miss the Pre...
    In a case like this - being an early adoptor hurts. In a month or so, my guess is major issues including battery etc. will be addressed OTA. Sorry it didn't work out. BB are definately rock solid.
    John Y - Aka Levelbest

Check out JOHNfm streaming on your Pre @ http://johnfm.com/pre
    Levelbest's Pre Wallpapers
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Blackberry Bold. Incredible device...guess I just miss the dead simplicity of communication with a BB. It's hard to beat this as it's BB's forte. The keyboard on the Bold and crazy battery life pushed me over the edge. Plus PIN messaging saves me SMSs w/my friends on other carriers.

I hate to go. I really liked the Pre (minus the paltry battery life and questionable reception). Plus I was constantly worried I'd crack my screen like others have (just by it sitting on the Touchstone? Yikes.).

It was especially hard considering my side of the family has Sprint. My wife's has ATT. Oh well, just use N&W so my family doesn't run out of minutes.

I'm sure I'll be back one day, for now, Sprint/Pre just wasn't working for me...and I already miss the Pre...
    Do you know anyone in your office that has Sprint? I'm curoius what their reception is like. Also, in your house, can you test with other Sprint phones? I guess I would have tested a bit more before cancelling and porting back.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    Do you know anyone in your office that has Sprint? I'm curoius what their reception is like. Also, in your house, can you test with other Sprint phones? I guess I would have tested a bit more before cancelling and porting back.
    Those who have Sprint get terrible reception. Most have ATT/Verizon in this area. I made the right choice, trust me. Sprint just doesn't offer sufficient coverage here or on my commute. I'm watching my Slingbox (over lunch) via 3G w/Full bars. I'm happy.
    I have a similar situation as far as the office goes. In our office only people with ATT and Verizon get service. T-MO and Sprint get zero service in the building. It's one reason why I have to stick with WinMo for now because I was able to download a cab to force roaming. I roam on Verizon while at work and then switch back to Sprint when I leave for the day.

When my contract is up I may switch to Verizon or ATT because of this issue though I'd like to stick with Sprint due to the cheaper rates.
    I hear so much about how bad the pre reception and battery life are . . .

I guess it depends on what you are coming from. I came from a 700p. Both battery life and signal are improved. (of course, that could be because I was using an ancient device).

I charge my pre quite a bit less than I ever charged the 700p (with new or old battery) and get a slightly better signal. In fact, there are two places I regularly drive and could identify virtually the specific spot I'd drop the signal. I do not drop the signal with the pre.

The signal thing is a notorious sprint problem across all phones from what I've seen.
    Can't blame you for leaving for reception reasons - what good is a cool phone if you can't get on the network? I have done just the opposite with ATT in my area. The good thing is the Pre, or some version, will probably be on ATT later this year.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I have a similar situation as far as the office goes. In our office only people with ATT and Verizon get service. T-MO and Sprint get zero service in the building. It's one reason why I have to stick with WinMo for now because I was able to download a cab to force roaming. I roam on Verizon while at work and then switch back to Sprint when I leave for the day.

When my contract is up I may switch to Verizon or ATT because of this issue though I'd like to stick with Sprint due to the cheaper rates.
    Just so you or other people who read this thread know there is a hack to force roaming on the pre if you have rooted it.