Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Create a new contact and give it a name like Unknown. Now link all your unwanted contacts from AIM or Google to this name to keep your contact list clutter free.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Hmm...sounds like a lot of work for some people who have hundreds of facebook friends or gmail contacts, but definitely a good tip! Thanks.

Another tip is to use one of the launcher screens as a contacts list and just add your contacts to the launcher.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    That sounds like a really good idea. However, I know that on AIM I no longer see screen names but the persons actual names (which I love!). How would this effect my AIM buddies? I have a lot of contacts that I only have a screen name for and no real personal information, so if I bulk them all under "Unknown" how would their names look on AIM?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Good point. I just checked. When sending, the name comes up Unknown. But by clicking on Unknown I can manually select who to send to. If you're using Universal Search and typing out their screen name, Unknown comes up. From there I can also manually select the screen name . I'm sure incoming will be confusing. For me, all of the contacts I buried I rarely contact anyway.
    Just curious but how do you have screen names for people you don't know their real names? I'm hating on that. I'm just curious because I happen to not have screen names like that.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I'm in that kind of situation, I've built up my AIM contact list for probably about a decade at this point, including a lot of people I've only known online, and I rarely remove anyone from the list. Also since AIM doesn't casually (or at least didn't, I haven't checked recently) store names in the list, and I've never maintained it in that way, I have a lot of people on my list that I don't even remember how I got their screenname, let alone what their name is.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I made the mistake of syncing with my facebook. Now I have 40-50 people I know but don't talk to anymore or just went to school with showing in my contacts. I like how it pulled the pics and bdays but really wish I could remove the ones I don't want from my contacts.
    If you delete a name on AIM on your PC does it eventually remove it from the phone?
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    so is there an easy way to delete all the aim contacts?
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    so is there an easy way to delete all the aim contacts?
    Remove your aim account from your messaging app.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Once you learn the power of universal search you wont care how many people are in your contacts list. You will almost never go into contacts again. You just go into card mode and type to find the person you want. If you ever do need to go into contacts, use typedown to filter the list. You will never need to just scroll around the list searching for the person you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizky View Post
    Once you learn the power of universal search you wont care how many people are in your contacts list. You will almost never go into contacts again. You just go into card mode and type to find the person you want. If you ever do need to go into contacts, use typedown to filter the list. You will never need to just scroll around the list searching for the person you want.

I use this all the time. Just type the name and bam, the person is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco84 View Post
    That sounds like a really good idea. However, I know that on AIM I no longer see screen names but the persons actual names (which I love!). How would this effect my AIM buddies? I have a lot of contacts that I only have a screen name for and no real personal information, so if I bulk them all under "Unknown" how would their names look on AIM?
    On your AIM app, there is an option for 'nicknames' and if you have a first/last name setup for the sn, it will show their first and last name. I did this for all of my contacts, took a while but it was definitely worthwhile. When I synced with my Pre, it grabbed those names and matched them with contacts. Totally awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    If you delete a name on AIM on your PC does it eventually remove it from the phone?
    Eventually, but I'm seeing a long wait with Synergy. I added a friend on Facebook who I had her number before and her Facebook account hasn't synced for over 24 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngceo View Post

I use this all the time. Just type the name and bam, the person is there.
    For me its not really a 'bam' but after 3-4 seconds. Because of the Facebook integration I have a lot more contacts though so its understandable.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    this left all my aim contacts on my phone, what else can i do?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizky View Post
    Yeah I dont even remember the last time I opened contacts. Even if I only had like 30 poeple in my contacts list Id still use universal search exclusively, its just SO much more convenient.
    I removed both my aim and google from messaging and contacts respectively....then I went into both services and cleaned up my contacts, there were people in my aim list from back when I was a freshman in highschool....removed all of the random emails in my gmail contacts, it took a good 30 minutes total, resynced and everything looks much cleaner, just a few things to link and it will be perfect.
    They really need to let us remove AIM contacts. They should also let us pick which facebook contacts (or perhaps a list) to import.
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    On your AIM app, there is an option for 'nicknames' and if you have a first/last name setup for the sn, it will show their first and last name. I did this for all of my contacts, took a while but it was definitely worthwhile. When I synced with my Pre, it grabbed those names and matched them with contacts. Totally awesome.
    When you AIM application you mean like when I'm signed in on AOL on my pc desktop?
    I dont get it why the hell cant we delete AIM?

it wasnt showing until i put in my username
    too bad palm didn't think this whole 'synergy' thing through
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast