Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Hey guys/(gal),

So I've been the "proud" owner of an HTC Vogue/Touch for about a year now and I love the phone's design.

Windows Mobile is kinda myeh, as everyone knows, but I got used to it and with a little Skyfire and Kinoma it ain't too bad.

So, right now I'm on the fence with the Pre. I mean, webOS kicks ***, but I'm hesitant to get the device.

I really feel like the thing I'm gonna miss the most is the rubber outside, but some of the reviews seemed to say that the hardware is a piece of garbage anyway. And, if it is in fact awful, I can wait until palm takes some smelling salts in the nostril (to the dome, if you will) and designs a good phone.

I guess I'm asking you all what your first impression of the phone was and what qualms you got over within a short period of time? Are there still things that suck? Did you return the phone but are trolling these forums waiting to exhale? Is this phone the greatest thing since sliced cereals?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

[updated july 2]

Got the pre: read here.
    Last edited by branded; 07/02/2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Hey Matt,
    I am like you and I came from the HTC Touch. Hardware wise the phone was great. Software wise (window mobile) it was GARBAGE and barely usable for me. Remember how long it took for a patch to come out that would enable us to use GPS? (that should have been there from day 1, I think it took like almost a year for it to come out).

In terms of the Pre, the hardware is lacking a little, it doesn't feel as premium, HOWEVER, the software (WebOS) is really where it shines. I am so much more functional on this phone. Before when I wanted to look something up on my HTC Touch, the touch screen keyboard/barely usable browser made me want to wait until I have access to a computer. With the Pre? I am using my laptop less and less because the browser is awesome, and its just so easy to navigate. Also the HTC Touch has no MMS (unless you get a hack), the Pre does I like that. The capacitative touch screen on the Pre is really great too, very responsive, and no need for the stylus (lets face it, window mobile really isn't made to be used with just fingers).

In terms of the rubber outside, I did really like that about the Touch. The good news is, you can get the touchstone backing for the Pre, and it has that very same feel, and grip, so problem solved!

I feel like you can't go wrong making the jump from the HTC Touch and the Pre.

These are just some things that I can think of, I could type a whole essay but I don't have much time right now. Let me know if you have any questions!
    All I can say is I don't know what all the complainers on this forum have been smoking. I absolutely love the pre's hardware. Its singlehandedly the coolestphone i've ever owned and the build quality seems top notch to me. There are a few software functunality things i'm waiting for (like the ability to download a file with the browser!) but they are really very small things that I think will be updated soon.

In one sentance... Get the phone it's awwwwsome!!!
    James_ the happy pre customer

*posted from my pre*
  4. joelpalm
    Friend got the Pre last week, came from the HTC Touch and I just texted him and he says the phone is still awesome, not a complaint yet. Do it, you have 30 days, decide for yourself.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Convince who... what??? And why? I mean, I like the phone but I don't get dollar one from Sprint sales and I sure don't want to take the blame for anyone else's unhappiness. You need to look at the specs, go see the phone, and decide for yourself. Don't be influenced by the fanboys or the flamers or anyone else whose experience may or may not reflect your own.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Hey guys!

Damn that was quick! I literally just smoked a cigarette and came back and there were three posts (make that four apparently).

WizardHowl: great post. Really helps. Glad to see that the touchstone back plate is actually rubberized. Beyond that you were very honest and detailed and I truly appreciate the perspective.

JaMart: Feels good man. It's quite obvious that you're passionate about how good the phone is. This is good.

joelpalm: thanks for your sleuthy info gathering. And that's a great point!

groovy: thanks for mediating. An opinion none-to-frayed, and makes sense. I do have 30 days.

Thanks a lot for your input guys. Keep them coming!

Peace,

Matt
    I saw one in the store.. Not turned on just display and it was surprisingly smaller than I imagined but I guess it is bigger when turned on.. I will get one eventually..
    The Pre is a great device and I think you will be happy with one. However, in my opinion there are enough issues with the initial phones that you may save yourself some aggravation by waiting 2 or 3 months before purchasing in order for the wrinkles to be ironed out. By then there should be a lot of useful apps in the App Catalog too!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Empty_Pockets: Hence your nick?

clipcarl: I agree. I was seriously considering waiting until Palm actually made a not-crappy device. But... hey... these other guys do have a point. And as for the apps... I have none now anyway

Thanks again guys! Now just to verify that I can get SERO (yuck $30 more dollars).
  10. joelpalm
    You cant use SERO, but you can use the Alliant credit union discount to get 25% off. If you need to keep sero, stay away
    If you're on the fence, stay away until you're sure. Don't come in with buyer's remorse. Wait 3- 6 months and see how it plays out. I have the Pre and I love it. I gave up my carrier and a lot of apps that I had on my 700p. I expect to carry my 700p in my briefcase for 2 weeks, then leave it at home- within hands reach for 3 months. If I don't have to reach for it in 3 months, I'll box it up. If Splash iD fixes the importing notes problem, I'll box it up sooner.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joelpalm View Post
    You cant use SERO, but you can use the Alliant credit union discount to get 25% off. If you need to keep sero, stay away
    Humm... I've read that people have called in after purchase and were able to get it... with a little work that is. myeh... work...

I'm in NYC, but I'm sure alliant will take my money anyway.

Cool man... thanks.
    You have to go check one out yourself. I went and played with one yesterday, everything I have read about, cheap feeling build quality , I found to be absolutely false, it has some decent heft to it, slider is quick, great screen, sharper than iPhone's, the keyboard is the only thing that is really holding me back, it feels pretty cramped, but I'm sure u get used to it like anything, I currently use the original iPhone and remember it took a couple weeks to get proficient at keyboarding. Also a lot of these problems they have will be fixed via updates, the first 6 mos. of iPhone it seemed like there was an update every 2 weeks, last year- 2 total, the bugs have to be worked out, but it is gonna be a great phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by branded View Post
    Hey guys/(gal),

So I've been the "proud" owner of an HTC Vogue/Touch for about a year now and I love the phone's design.

Windows Mobile is kinda myeh, as everyone knows, but I got used to it and with a little Skyfire and Kinoma it ain't too bad.

So, right now I'm on the fence with the Pre. I mean, webOS kicks ***, but I'm hesitant to get the device.

I really feel like the thing I'm gonna miss the most is the rubber outside, but some of the reviews seemed to say that the hardware is a piece of garbage anyway. And, if it is in fact awful, I can wait until palm takes some smelling salts in the nostril (to the dome, if you will) and designs a good phone.

I guess I'm asking you all what your first impression of the phone was and what qualms you got over within a short period of time? Are there still things that suck? Did you return the phone but are trolling these forums waiting to exhale? Is this phone the greatest thing since sliced cereals?

Thanks,

Matt

I love my Pre. I was leaving a Centro and had no qualms about it. It sounds like you do. If I were you, I'd wait until Palm does some updating, you're convinced any hardware issues are addressed, and some satisfying apps hit the store.

Doesn't sound like you're in the mood to be patient, so let those hoards waiting to buy a Pre get first dibs and you can get convinced over the next several months.
    The phone is pretty great, and this is coming from someone who has had issues with the hardware. However, I know I'm in the minority. Overall, most people are very happy with the build quality and design of the unit itself. And of course, WebOS is fantastic any way you look at it. I also owned the Vogue (Sprint Touch), and the jump to the Pre is pretty dramatic. You can't even compare the two.

As for the "rubbery" grip the Vogue had, you can sort of achieve this by buying the Matte Battery cover. It gives a more textured feel on the back, and is just generally much nicer and more similar to the Vogue. One thing you will appreciate coming from that phone is that the Vogue's physical dimensions are almost exactly the same as the Pre, rounded edges and everything. If you're used to how you hold your current phone and how it feels in your pocket, then the Pre will be a very smooth transition for you.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I came from an htc touch with a few really useful MS applications. Had a treo 700w before that. The decision is much easier if you need a phone-mine was broken, and I was opening a new line so bam, done deal. Opera on the touch was easily bested by this browser which means the odds of me actually browsing sites has multiplied tenfold compared to me using Opera on the touch so skim until being bored/annoyed at how slow things went.

If you treated the phone like a workhorse (editing docs/watching tons of movie formats with new codecs/customized everything) and dont need a new phone, you can stand to wait a month or more to see how things pan out. If you are like me and had a decent amount of apps on the phone, but were limited in using them due to the phones hardware and sluggish OS (winmo gets the job done, but sometimes the job is done so haphazardly that it is unsatisfying-you soon question whether or not it is worth it time vs enjoyment wise when doing the same job later) then jump into the deep in. water's fine.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I hate these threads. Convince you? can you not read reviews?
    Do you not see both the love and hate threads here numbering in the hundreds.
    And why would you want someone to convince you? why not make a decision that YOU will be happy with....
    i'm going to say this. I love the phone. Unlike a lot of other people who got it and expected it to control the world or something I didn't. I knew what I was getting into when I stood in line at 6 in the morning on june 6th. It does what I want it to do and feels better then any phone that I have owned. The phone is not ment for everyone but for the most of us that have it and love it will stick with it through thick and thin. Only you can decide if the phone is ment for you. Just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    I hate these threads. Convince you? can you not read reviews?
    Do you not see both the love and hate threads here numbering in the hundreds.
    And why would you want someone to convince you? why not make a decision that YOU will be happy with....
    He's just looking for a little advice and reassurance from people who already own the device. Wow. Sometimes I wonder about people here.
    Quote Originally Posted by branded View Post
    Hey guys/(gal),

Thanks,

Matt
    Nah, its tough to top sliced cereals and grains with sliced bread on the side with biscuits and honey and ....orange juice... and a good hot bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal in the early morning right before the morning commute. maybe a cup o' coffee to boot.

Nope, The pre can't top those.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast