Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @ IMethos ~ chill out...Forums of all kinds will have a "convince me" type thread going on. I've been on Car Forums with such threads and they're very informative at times.. Put your FLAME out!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    He's just looking for a little advice and reassurance from people who already own the device. Wow. Sometimes I wonder about people here.

I wouldn't!!!

Wait for a couple of months when the HTC Pro 2 comes out then make a decision between the two.
    I think the hardware is great. First time I saw the phone I was really impressed and the shape of the device feels great in your hands.

You'll love the touchstone back, it'll feel just like the original Touch.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Let me say this, plain and simple. Get the pre!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Wow. A lot more posts since yesterday.

Thanks for the reassurance about the Touchstone back, and the several of you that posted about the specific transition that I would have; HTC Touch to Pre.

nitussi: The HTC Touch Pro 2 will have Windows Mobile 6.1, which I'm already running on. But this is a good point, I actually could have easily waited for the Touch Pro when I purchased the Touch, but I didn't. Since the Touch Pro 2 will possibly be released this month, I can probably wait it out to see if I like it more. I'm sure 6.5 will be ported to the Touch/Vogue, and an official update for the Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 will be released.

ref: pdadb.net/ index.php?m=specs&id=1792&view=1&=sprint_touch_pro_2_htc_rhodium_w
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    okay, I used HTC touch for the last two years and 800W for the last one year.

Go for the Pre.

Touch keyboard needs stylus not for Pre.

I used Skyfire, Netfront, Opera Mobile and IRIS on Touch.

They all fail against the browser in Pre.

Pre's screen is just great, I cannot tell you about the frustration of not being able to click on the desired spot on the HTC touch screen.

The apps on Pre open a bit slower say than iPhone, but way way faster than HTC touch.

You might miss the HTC center button , the call and end buttons on Pre.

But that's about it. You will learn to use the cards , which are much better than Touch.

Another point , you can zoom the photos and EMAIL too with multi touch ( apart from the browser), which is a step up from the Touch.

Only down side is that , the tethering hacks are complex on Pre, compared to touch ( if you care).

Also you cannot add SD cards on Pre.

Overall , its day and night difference between the two.
    I would go with Pre in a heartbeat.

I am now a happy user of Pre ( about two weeks).
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    @ IMethos ~ chill out...Forums of all kinds will have a "convince me" type thread going on. I've been on Car Forums with such threads and they're very informative at times.. Put your FLAME out!
    No flames, people just seem so weak willed and feeble. sheepish even and i irritates me.
    Why can't people make informed decisions? it's not like the information isn't out there. And there are many threads like this one. What new information will he glean from this one?

And when we all "convince" him, he'll be back on here with a pre sucks thread.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    gbp: Thanks for the great list of info and point-by-point comparison.

I think you guys have convinced me. I feel much more comfortable with the idea of purchasing and using the phone after you all have spent the time to share your open opinions, as you would in a forum, on the topic of the Palm Pre.

Thanks!

Matt
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    no problems
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    If you don't buy the Pre in the next week, I will kill this puppy.

I'm not kidding.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    If you don't buy the Pre in the next week, I will kill this puppy.

<snip>

I'm not kidding.
    IMethos... is that you? j/k L.O.L. lmaoz rufflz

I'm sold.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Sage goes in all fields.

Because I know you all were waiting with bated breath, I ordered the phone yesterday, and got the Alliant credit union discount of 25% = $52/month. Unfortunately, I only got $75 credit towards the phone; which came in at a whopping $475 (or something).

Got me a touchstone back and charger. Got me InvisiSheild on it's way.

Anyway, I should be sufficiently bored and complaining about the phone in about 12 days.

Thanks for all your advice.

Peace,

Matt
    Thanks for all your advice.
    You're welcome and welcome aboard. You are going to love your Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    I hate these threads. Convince you? can you not read reviews?
    Do you not see both the love and hate threads here numbering in the hundreds.
    And why would you want someone to convince you? why not make a decision that YOU will be happy with....
    You know, the title of the thread said "convince me". To that you replied, "I hate these threads. Convince you?" So, clearly, you knew that this would be the sort of thread that you hate. I hate fish. If I see fish on the menu, would I order it, bite into it and yell, "I hate fish! Can't you see all the other things I'd rather have?" Why are you here? Next time, follow these instructions:

1) Keep scrolling.

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    I think the hardware is great. First time I saw the phone I was really impressed and the shape of the device feels great in your hands.

You'll love the touchstone back, it'll feel just like the original Touch.
    Seconded. It's fantastic. Sometimes I just want to sit there and pet it... "...and I will name him George..."
    I tried the HTC Touch Pro and hated it.

I love the Pre. I've had a Blackberry Curve for 2 yrs. The build of Pre equals the Curve. I don't get all these comments about poor build. 3 Pre's in the family. All working perfectly.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I love this phone.

The design could be a little better, but the design is actually like 90% good.

webOS is amazing. I love it. Multitasking is ridiculous. Object manipulation is pretty dang good. There are a few small things missing, but I'm sure they're coming down the line... like... humm... apps; an EQ in the music player; a way to select multiple messages.

Actually, the two most annoying things are the email and synergy with google contacts.

I'd love to see an improvement with an index (sqlite anyone?) and searchable messages. A way to manage the messages (like a hold down popup menu that automatically pops up the menu menu, a la Windows Mobile or Kinoma Player).

As for the google contacts, who the hell wants every person they've ever written an email to as a contact in their phone? Let alone every one of their facebook friends?

The last two things are fairly minor: why the hell can't i calibrate the touch? I like to see where I'm pushing, so I tend to "point" to the thing I want to hit, not push on it directly. This always pisses me off when I use an iPhone. And, related... it's damn hard to hit the top bar and notification sections because they're either too small, or i'm too stupid to actually press them correctly (for some reason, I don't think I should be feeling that way).

Annoying. But, the beauty of all my complaints... they're all silly, easy to fix "problems."

Like, implement something that allows me to select a contacts group (maybe My Contacts ) to sync with google contacts (like subscribed folders in blackberry BES messaging)? Maybe only add facebook information about contacts you've already got?

I'm hungry to look at the code, but I'm not even sure how synergy works? Is the pre talking to the palm servers, and the palm servers are acting as a proxy to google, facebook, etc? Or is the phone actually going out to google and facebook and connecting?

Of course I hope someone is listening.

Thanks,

Matt

[edit]
    Reverse engineering Synergy: pre dev wiki: Decrypt SSL (trusted man-in-the-middle technique)
    Bookmarking in Music Player: http://predev.wikidot.com/bookmarking-mediaplayer
    Last edited by branded; 07/04/2009 at 01:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Get the Pre.
    My bro has a touch pro and he is jealous of my phone. Matt, the pre is so super!

jon
    ive had a palm treo 700p for a little over 2 years and decided to upgrade to the pre.
    first of all, i have a itouch 2g.

i went with the pre because the treo is the first cell phone ive had that i have not had to replace for over a year, so i believe palm makes good products.
    so these are the things i think i like:

-the case, to me, feels like plastic..but a nice comfortable plastic. im not -sure why people say it feels 'cheap' i love the way it feels. guess a matter of opinion on that.
    -multitasking it great. on my itouch i have to close the app store, load up the web browser then goto a webpage to see a review on a game im thinking bout getting. on the pre, i just shrink it and open the web browers card and switch back and forth.
    -i have not found ANY dead pixels, problems with the casing or anything.
    palm has already released 2 or 3 updates so im sure they will continue to release fixes/patches a couple times a month
    -im expecting we will see a flood of new apps around the 6 month mark. we will then see some REALLY good apps around the 1 yr mark. for anyone that says iphone rules in this, ask them how long it took apple to release their app store and what they had in it the first year. but truly, if your looking for an app type phone, then you may want to wait before you get the pre.
    -picture quality is excellent in well lit enviroments
    -i get great reception (except at work) in the cincinnati area
    -IMO, the video quality is the best ive seen on a cell phone (prob cause pre uses same resolution as an iphone, but the screen is smaller so the pixels are 'tighter'. not too much diff..but enough for me to notice.)
    -it took me 1 day to get used to gestures, but now that i have i love it!!! i even find myself trying to do the same gestures on my itouch
    -and my favorite, i plug it in to my vista 64bit PC, i can use itunes to sink MP3s, or even use my phone as a USB storage device and swap it back and forth between PCs
    - i could go on but in the end you gotta make the decision yourself....
    only a couple things i can think of that i dont like, is the emergency call button when your phone is locked, the calendar (how do you set an event per year?? like a birthday) and...well thats about it lol
    so yes, the pre is da bomb and i cant wait to see what devs do with the app catalog and future updates!!!

sry if i carried on there....im getting drunk hahahahhahaha
    happy 4th july
    Sprint packages ..over time... plus features are much more affordable!!
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12