Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    cool, no administrators were available. couldn't they have told me that before i was put on hold?
    Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan14 View Post
    cool, no administrators were available. couldn't they have told me that before i was put on hold?
    all part of the game, amigo
    I don't understand how you people are breaking your screens... last night I passed out with the Pre on the bed, and woke up with it underneath me... A lot of weight/pressure/movement - and NOTHING happened to it.

If it HAD broken, it would be been totally my fault. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think you should be able to demand a replacement. If I broke a laptop, a TV, my car, a window, a wedding ring, you name it-- you don't just get a free replacement.

Own up to breaking your stuff, people.
    If this issue is, in fact, approved as a defect by Palm/Sprint, it's gonna be a pretty hefty price tag to correct. Where's the head material engineer in charge of this foul?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I don't understand how you people are breaking your screens... last night I passed out with the Pre on the bed, and woke up with it underneath me... A lot of weight/pressure/movement - and NOTHING happened to it.

If it HAD broken, it would be been totally my fault. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think you should be able to demand a replacement. If I broke a laptop, a TV, my car, a window, a wedding ring, you name it-- you don't just get a free replacement.

Own up to breaking your stuff, people.
    I would normally agree, but not in this case because of my understanding of WHERE the breakage is occurring. My understanding is that the breakage is occurring not on the top layer, but on the layer UNDERNEATH the top of the screen. If the layer on top has zero damage, how is damage underneath that layer possibly because of abuse?

I had an analogous breakage happen with a laptop recently, actually. The hinge on the left side of the screen broke. Not the casing, not the screen, but the actual piece of metal inside of the casing where the screws were attached, that held the screen to the chassis. There was no other damage, nothing at all; the internals of the hinge broke with no external damage whatsoever. I personally have a degree in materials science, meaning I basically have a degree in "how metals and plastics break", literally years of experience in metal and plastic failure analysis. I looked at the hinge, and it was obvious that a fatigue crack had started at a stress concentration point, in that case a hole in the piece of metal where a screw was inserted, and had spread across the piece of metal, causing it to break fully. No external damage, no roughness, no abuse, and yet the internal structural piece broke through fatigue. HP disagreed, and made me pay for it, even though my expertise told me differently, and I think something similar may be happening here.

The damage is INSIDE the phone, not outside, it's happening from a stress concentration point because all the cracks on multiple phones are emanating from the same point, and it makes perfect sense. It's difficult to be 100% certain without seeing one myself, which would require taking the phone apart of course, but it fits that the stress tolerances required are not being met for several people's phones. It doesn't honestly seem too widespread at the moment, by the number of posts on here, but it does seem to be something that is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    I would normally agree, but not in this case because of my understanding of WHERE the breakage is occurring. My understanding is that the breakage is occurring not on the top layer, but on the layer UNDERNEATH the top of the screen. If the layer on top has zero damage, how is damage underneath that layer possibly because of abuse?

I had an analogous breakage happen with a laptop recently, actually. The hinge on the left side of the screen broke. Not the casing, not the screen, but the actual piece of metal inside of the casing where the screws were attached, that held the screen to the chassis. There was no other damage, nothing at all; the internals of the hinge broke with no external damage whatsoever. I personally have a degree in materials science, meaning I basically have a degree in "how metals and plastics break", literally years of experience in metal and plastic failure analysis. I looked at the hinge, and it was obvious that a fatigue crack had started at a stress concentration point, in that case a hole in the piece of metal where a screw was inserted, and had spread across the piece of metal, causing it to break fully. No external damage, no roughness, no abuse, and yet the internal structural piece broke through fatigue. HP disagreed, and made me pay for it, even though my expertise told me differently, and I think something similar may be happening here.

The damage is INSIDE the phone, not outside, it's happening from a stress concentration point because all the cracks on multiple phones are emanating from the same point, and it makes perfect sense. It's difficult to be 100% certain without seeing one myself, which would require taking the phone apart of course, but it fits that the stress tolerances required are not being met for several people's phones. It doesn't honestly seem too widespread at the moment, by the number of posts on here, but it does seem to be something that is happening.
    I do not have a degree is materials science, but it seems possible that whatever outter layer od plastic could easily be more flexible, and durable, whereas a more internal layer of plastic, (perhaps the digitizer,) could be more brittle, and prone to cracking. All I am getting at is just because there is no damage on the exterior, does not mean the interior is ok. It also does not rule out abuse. High acceleration, decelleration, shock, temperatures, pressure, and a whole host of other factors can cause damage that might not be evident from the exterior.

This does not mean that whatever the cause of the breakage is still not an oversight of some weakness on Palm's part...
    Use some horse sense here. The screen is the nucleus of the pre hardware so you had better protect it. I have carried mine in my pocket for 5 days but have been scared since one bump can trash the screen. I have been careful to have screen towards my thigh but... Went to Wal-mart and for $10 bought a case that will protect device while it's in my travel tote or whatever. This thing has to be protected or else... Invisishield will not protect you from anything but light scratches.
    I also think a HUGE part of this is people not opening the phone correctly. You are supposed to press in the CENTER the touch screen.

The natural thing to do is to go for the button and push there, I believe that is a weak point. Do this enough times and it fatigues weakens it and breaks.

So...moral of the story, dont open your phone that way
  9. kjb
    Keep Us Updated Please?
  10.    #70  
    Asurion is sending my replacement as we speak. Sprint CS rep said that sprint would cover all my insurance because they know of the screen problem. the CS lady made a notation in my account stating that sprint will credit $100 to future bills.

if you need help with cracked screens, CALL sprint, don't bother going into the store.

KJB (thanks for asking for the update), where do you live in san diego? I live in poway, but I travel to the sprint store on fenton parkway.
  11.    #71  
    Got my replacement today!!!

Too bad it has 2 dead pixels and discoloration at the bottom of the screen...

will it be possible to cancel my account with sprint? (Serious question)

i will attach a photo as soon as it uploads...
  12.    #72  
    It's impossible to get a good picture of the dead pixels, but i'll keep trying
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Got my replacement today!!!

Too bad it has 2 dead pixels and discoloration at the bottom of the screen...

will it be possible to cancel my account with sprint? (Serious question)

i will attach a photo as soon as it uploads...
    You should be able to cancel, are you within the 30 days?

However, if you like the phone, just not the particular device you got, I'd suggest the following. Call Sprint now. Have them note that the replacement device came back defective. If they won't have Asurion send a replacement immediately, tell them you'll hang on to until the stores have ample supply in stock. When they do, go in and get a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    I also think a HUGE part of this is people not opening the phone correctly. You are supposed to press in the CENTER the touch screen.

The natural thing to do is to go for the button and push there, I believe that is a weak point. Do this enough times and it fatigues weakens it and breaks.

So...moral of the story, dont open your phone that way
    Why would anyone open it differently? The mechanism feels strange unless you push with your thumb just below the halfway mark.

Common sense people. Use the path of least resistance.
  15.    #75  
    I'm within the 30 days, but they might try to pull the "you already replaced one" crap and not let me cancel. i love the phone, but i need to have something more reliable. i've heard to many other stories of returning phones only to get another defective Pre.

I still can't activate the phone either... there's no EV reception on the pre, but there is on a samsung rant in the same house?
  16. kjb
    I am in Santee. Just retired from SDSU. Loving retirement.

Asurion is sending my replacement as we speak. Sprint CS rep said that sprint would cover all my insurance because they know of the screen problem. the CS lady made a notation in my account stating that sprint will credit $100 to future bills.

if you need help with cracked screens, CALL sprint, don't bother going into the store.

KJB (thanks for asking for the update), where do you live in san diego? I live in poway, but I travel to the sprint store on fenton parkway.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234