Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, to preface this, I had a BB Pearl for a couple years and loved it. I love Apple but hate the iPhone. I've been looking forward to the Pre since January, and waited in line on the morning of June 6 to get a Pre.

With each passing day, I am simply getting more and more frustrated.

1) App catalog. I'm sorry, but Palm's app catalog is pathetic. 30 apps a week and a half in???? And no payment system set up? First of all, Apple, BB, and Android ALL had more than 30 apps at launch. Second, each currently has no less than 1,000 apps currently, and has a payment system set up. There is simply no excuse for Palm in this department. Quality over quantity? The stuff in there now isn't that great to begin with. Clearly, they wanted to be ahead of the competition in the hardware department, but completely dropped the ball in the software department. If I don't see a MINIMUM of 100 apps in the store within my 30 days, this Pre is going back. Most editorials online also believe that Palm will fail unless they succeed in the app dept.

2) No basic Facebook/Twitter app. To be advertising this all over and not include this as a basic functionality is beyond me. Hell, if they included both of these I would be fine for the time being. Yeah yeah, I know going to the website works just fine, but that isn't the point. I'm getting tired of rationalizing.

3) Sprint CS blows. I've proven them wrong several times, and only when do I threaten to cancel my line do they listen. No, I don't try to snag a free Pre like some folks (whatever floats your boat), but I just want honest answers to my questions. If you don't know, tell me you don't and ask someone who does. It's really that simple.

The clock's ticking.

UPDATE: To clarify, I meant "launch" to mean "launch of the app store" for that phone, which may or may not have been at the start (i.e. Apple and BB did it afterwards).

Oh, and for you folks who are not aware...a facebook bookmark IS NOT an application for your phone. Duh. So please stop mentioning it. And I only stress that point since this phone isn't ever mentioned w/o Facebook in the same sentence.
    Last edited by drummer12; 06/16/2009 at 06:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
    First of all, Apple, BB, and Android ALL had more than 30 apps at launch.
    The iPhone was launched on June 29, 2007.

The Apple app store opened on July 10, 2008.

FAIL.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    1) Apple had zero app's when the iPhone launched.

2) What do you mean no basic Facebook/Twitter app? Facebook is in your bookmarks and Tweed is a very nice app for twitter.

As for number three, not much to say about that. But there are a lot of folks who have hand no issue with them. Myself included.
    there are 2 twitters apps.

the app store has been up 10 days?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Its getting really old seeing people ***** about the lack of apps. The phone has barely been out over a week and the SDK has not been released yet. Once that is released the apps will come.

Please return the Pre if it means one less person posting this crap.

Also there is a facebook app in the browser by default the last time I checked.

Also I've never had an issue with Sprint CS. (my personal experience)
    So, to preface this, I had a BB Pearl for a couple years and loved it. I love Apple but hate the iPhone. I've been looking forward to the Pre since January, and waited in line on the morning of June 6 to get a Pre.

It has only been 10 days from launch. It is a new OS. The apps and updates will come. You could always return it now and revisit in 6 or so months.
    I thought this was going to be a thread with valid points from a different person with different needs but complaining about facebook and twitter??

Im starting to hate facebook and I dont even bother with Twitter. I have my own social life and dont need an applications on my phone to do so.

Ill be patient...
    lol
    Another thought on when you buy a new platform and software. When the PS3 was launched in North America you know how many titles were available at launch?

It is just something early adopters have to be willing to deal with
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu View Post
    the iphone was launched on june 29, 2007.

The apple app store opened on july 10, 2008.

Fail.
    hillarious!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu View Post
    The iPhone was launched on June 29, 2007.

The Apple app store opened on July 10, 2008.

FAIL.
    Again lol...... the wonders of goggle never cease to amaze me!!
    If I don't see a MINIMUM of 100 apps in the store within my 30 days, this Pre is going back.
    This made me giggle.... What are you going to do with 100 apps? Do you need 100 apps or else your friends think your APP Catalog is small? lol

Look at that guy over there... his app catalog is tiny... heheheheheheh
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    This made me giggle.... What are you going to do with 100 apps? Do you need 100 apps or else your friends think your APP Catalog is small? lol

Look at that guy over there... his app catalog is tiny... heheheheheheh
    I said it looks *tiny*, like a christimas tree bulb!!!
  14.    #14  
    To clarify, I meant "launch" to mean "launch of the app store" for that phone, which may or may not have been at the start (i.e. Apple and BB did it afterwards).

Oh, and for you folks who are not aware...a facebook bookmark IS NOT an application for your phone. Duh. So please stop mentioning it. And I only stress that point since this phone isn't ever mentioned w/o Facebook in the same sentence.
  15.    #15  
    100 apps was just an arbitrary value. Will you be satisfied if six months from now there's only 250 apps of questionable quality, while Apple has maybe 75,000, Android maybe 10,000, and BB maybe 3-5000? If so, applications are not for you.

I just see no reason to settle. Anyone who bought a Pre didn't settle on buying a cutting edge phone with the latest and greatest hardware and operating system, I see no reason why I should settle for apps.

The fact that it's been a few days isn't the point - hence why I mentioned everyone else's app store had more apps at launch. Let me spell it out - poor planning on Palm's part for 1) not soliciting more devs for a "private beta" of the SDK and 2) not releasing the SDK.
    Um...

1) Wrong

2) Wrong

3) Never had an issue.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

1) App catalog. I'm sorry, but Palm's app catalog is pathetic. 30 apps a week and a half in???? And no payment system set up? First of all, Apple, BB, and Android ALL had more than 30 apps at launch. Second, each currently has no less than 1,000 apps currently, and has a payment system set up. There is simply no excuse for Palm in this department. Quality over quantity? The stuff in there now isn't that great to begin with. Clearly, they wanted to be ahead of the competition in the hardware department, but completely dropped the ball in the software department. If I don't see a MINIMUM of 100 apps in the store within my 30 days, this Pre is going back. Most editorials online also believe that Palm will fail unless they succeed in the app dept.

2) No basic Facebook/Twitter app. To be advertising this all over and not include this as a basic functionality is beyond me. Hell, if they included both of these I would be fine for the time being. Yeah yeah, I know going to the website works just fine, but that isn't the point. I'm getting tired of rationalizing.

3) Sprint CS blows. I've proven them wrong several times, and only when do I threaten to cancel my line do they listen. No, I don't try to snag a free Pre like some folks (whatever floats your boat), but I just want honest answers to my questions. If you don't know, tell me you don't and ask someone who does. It's really that simple.

The clock's ticking.
    Both of your first two points are about apps. There are two Twitter apps, with a Facebook app to come. And as already pointed out, the App Store didn't launch until over a year into the iPhone's life. I don't think you're as smart as you think you are. You should definitely get rid of the Pre and buy an iPhone. You obviously did no research and I have no idea why you would buy a Pre if all you care about is apps. Please stop harassing the Sprint CSRs as well.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Another thought on when you buy a new platform and software. When the PS3 was launched in North America you know how many titles were available at launch?

It is just something early adopters have to be willing to deal with
    Exactly. Which is why even the PS2 is selling more than the PS3 today. It can't hold a candle to Xbox or a Wii.

It's not always about early adoption - again, I hate to mention Apple again but they weren't the first folks to market an mp3 player, but the first one to do it successfully to a mass consumer market. And now they OWN the market.
    100 apps was just an arbitrary value. Will you be satisfied if six months from now there's only 250 apps of questionable quality, while Apple has maybe 75,000, Android maybe 10,000, and BB maybe 3-5000? If so, applications are not for you.
    Considering that of the 75,000 in the Apple's App Store most are flashlights and fart noise apps, I'm OK with it. When I had my BB and their App World, I downloaded maybe 15 apps but only used Twitterberry regularly - which, incidentally, I never downloaded through the Store itself.

I do agree that Palm has dropped the ball with releasing the SDK (or, for that matter, not releasing the SDK), but I'm not in to this phone for the apps, and I'm willing to give them the time to do it right. Seriously, I wouldn't wait the 30 days you mentioned in your first post - it's not gonna happen that quick. If you want tons of apps, the iPhone is ready and waiting.
  20. joelpalm
    Please return you Pre promptly and get the hell off our forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast