Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. thekaitlin
    Okay, I understand why people want apps, but I don't understand why mobile versions of many websites won't suffice, especially when you can add them to the launcher, etc. The thing is that while a native app is nice, and in some cases can do more than a mobile site, for the most part, well-designed mobile sites are no different, right? Facebook mobile is fine - add it to the launcher and there you go. What features or functionality are you hoping an app can provide that the mobile site doesn't?

(Of course, I realize that there are some apps that are quite simply different from a website, whether it's because they're generating their own database or doing something that you don't want to continue making calls to the internet for...but for some things, it really makes no difference)
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
    Exactly. Which is why even the PS2 is selling more than the PS3 today. It can't hold a candle to Xbox or a Wii.

It's not always about early adoption - again, I hate to mention Apple again but they weren't the first folks to market an mp3 player, but the first one to do it successfully to a mass consumer market. And now they OWN the market.
    The 360 launched with 21 titles at launch.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Not an excuse for not having apps. Devs create apps, not Palm.
    Normally they use an SDK.
    So, to preface this, I had a BB Pearl for a couple years and loved it. I love Apple but hate the iPhone. I've been looking forward to the Pre since January, and waited in line on the morning of June 6 to get a Pre.

With each passing day, I am simply getting more and more frustrated.

1) App catalog. I'm sorry, but Palm's app catalog is pathetic. 30 apps a week and a half in???? And no payment system set up? First of all, Apple, BB, and Android ALL had more than 30 apps at launch. Second, each currently has no less than 1,000 apps currently, and has a payment system set up. There is simply no excuse for Palm in this department. Quality over quantity? The stuff in there now isn't that great to begin with. Clearly, they wanted to be ahead of the competition in the hardware department, but completely dropped the ball in the software department. If I don't see a MINIMUM of 100 apps in the store within my 30 days, this Pre is going back. Most editorials online also believe that Palm will fail unless they succeed in the app dept.

2) No basic Facebook/Twitter app. To be advertising this all over and not include this as a basic functionality is beyond me. Hell, if they included both of these I would be fine for the time being. Yeah yeah, I know going to the website works just fine, but that isn't the point. I'm getting tired of rationalizing.

3) Sprint CS blows. I've proven them wrong several times, and only when do I threaten to cancel my line do they listen. No, I don't try to snag a free Pre like some folks (whatever floats your boat), but I just want honest answers to my questions. If you don't know, tell me you don't and ask someone who does. It's really that simple.

The clock's ticking.

UPDATE: To clarify, I meant "launch" to mean "launch of the app store" for that phone, which may or may not have been at the start (i.e. Apple and BB did it afterwards).

Oh, and for you folks who are not aware...a facebook bookmark IS NOT an application for your phone. Duh. So please stop mentioning it. And I only stress that point since this phone isn't ever mentioned w/o Facebook in the same sentence.
    None of your points made any sense.
    Clearly this frustration is based on dashed EXPECTATIONS. I think many of us had expectations too high for a v1 phone on v1 software. We expected it to be as polished as today's iPhone, not the iPhone that actually launched. We expected it to ready for our corporate networks, which Palm said it wouldn't. We expected an exploding app library, which Palm said it wouldn't do.

Palm surely rushed to beat Apple to the punch and to an extent, we're paying for that. But, in honesty, most of the expectation setting is our own unrealistic understanding of what it takes to put out a brand new OS with a brand new hardware and an installed base that has VERY PARTICULAR EXPECTATIONS based on 10+ years of development.

I believe Palm has misstepped in a few areas, but what they've accomplished in hardware and software is significant.

Best news of all - NO ONE IS MAKING YOU KEEP THE THING - In the end that's your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Clearly this frustration is based on dashed EXPECTATIONS. I think many of us had expectations too high for a v1 phone on v1 software. We expected it to be as polished as today's iPhone, not the iPhone that actually launched. We expected it to ready for our corporate networks, which Palm said it wouldn't. We expected an exploding app library, which Palm said it wouldn't do.

Palm surely rushed to beat Apple to the punch and to an extent, we're paying for that. But, in honesty, most of the expectation setting is our own unrealistic understanding of what it takes to put out a brand new OS with a brand new hardware and an installed base that has VERY PARTICULAR EXPECTATIONS based on 10+ years of development.

I believe Palm has misstepped in a few areas, but what they've accomplished in hardware and software is significant.
    I know what you mean. I keep checking the App Catalog every few hours, as well as checking for updates. I know its early, but I can't help hoping that I might get surprised.

Man how many of these threads are they? Just take the phone back and live in peace. Problems solved
    So you would have prefered no apps for 1 year?
    Agreed. He should return it and move on. no way would i waste my time complaining. try telling your wife " i want it 100 times in 30 days" and see where it gets ya. LMAO
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Yes! I think it's better to hold off a little bit and provide something (even in beta) when there's some completeness to it.

Also, iPhone aside, the G1 had about 50 apps when the phone launched...new phone, new OS.

Whatever, I'm just impatient I know the Pre will have great apps, and I'm willing to pay for them...I just wish I had the chance.
    Lets Clarify, did the G1 have 50 apps when the SDK was out or before? I truly don't know, but I do know that you WILL NOT see a ton of apps being released until Palm publicly releases the SDK, which I've read may not happen until August or so... Until then Palm has to seed pre-release versions of the SDK to hand picked developers, Pandora for example.

If apps are such an immediate urgency for you, then return it while you still can and repurchase when the SDK is released.
    Last edited by MrEricM; 06/17/2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Same old story of "returning my Pre" with a different title. These folks are getting more creative by the day.
  12. enjoyingsilence
    Honestly, this is mundane. However, I've done my best fellow forum member.

My reply has been inserted in bold, along with yours. See below...

So, to preface this, I had a BB Pearl for a couple years and loved it. I love Apple but hate the iPhone. I've been looking forward to the Pre since January, and waited in line on the morning of June 6 to get a Pre.

With each passing day, I am simply getting more and more frustrated.

1) App catalog. I'm sorry, but Palm's app catalog is pathetic. 30 apps a week and a half in???? And no payment system set up? First of all, Apple, BB, and Android ALL had more than 30 apps at launch. To the best of my knowledge, the SDK has not been made available to every bloody developer that wants it.

Second, each currently has no less than 1,000 apps currently, and has a payment system set up. There is simply no excuse for Palm in this department. Palm is playing catch up in this market to begin with. Honestly, I think many of us, especially fans of Palm, would prefer a better than average quality phone, and assurance of an application store, with apps to come in the future. Than an application store with an (arbitrary number) of applications, and a shoddy phone, because Palm invested the few staff they have (truly - few staff) on developing an app store, over developing a decent phone.

Quality over quantity? The stuff in there now isn't that great to begin with. Clearly, they wanted to be ahead of the competition in the hardware department, but completely dropped the ball in the software department. Software department? Or application store department? Your statement was very vague...

If I don't see a MINIMUM of 100 apps in the store within my 30 days, this Pre is going back. Palm does not need your idle threat, If you want to return your phone, do it. But do not expect Palm, or Sprint to care about YOU (seemingly stirring the pot) returning your bloody phone.

Most editorials online also believe that Palm will fail unless they succeed in the app dept. Do you believe everything a editor writes, or a journalist - journals? If so, you're a lemming. Please re-direct yourself to the nearest cliff and jump off with your brethren. /sarcasm. Also, the use of "most" in the opening phrase, is a very general statement, speaking of rationalizing things.

2) No basic Facebook/Twitter app. To be advertising this all over and not include this as a basic functionality is beyond me. Hell, if they included both of these I would be fine for the time being. Yeah yeah, I know going to the website works just fine, but that isn't the point. I'm getting tired of rationalizing. I'm sure Facebook and their developers have a copy of the WebOS SDK, and are working on an app. However, there are twitter apps in the store. If you do not like them, it's your business.

3) Sprint CS blows. I've proven them wrong several times, and only when do I threaten to cancel my line do they listen. No, I don't try to snag a free Pre like some folks (whatever floats your boat), but I just want honest answers to my questions. If you don't know, tell me you don't and ask someone who does. It's really that simple. Sprint Customer Service isn't that bad, however, it depends on which department you're calling, and what you need. They're a customer service call center. Very few of the staff WANT to help you. Do you know what those folks have to go thru? What it's like to be on the other side of that phone, and deal with people like you?

The clock's ticking.

UPDATE: To clarify, I meant "launch" to mean "launch of the app store" for that phone, which may or may not have been at the start (i.e. Apple and BB did it afterwards).

Oh, and for you folks who are not aware...a facebook bookmark IS NOT an application for your phone. Duh. So please stop mentioning it. And I only stress that point since this phone isn't ever mentioned w/o Facebook in the same sentence. I agree with you.
    iPhone release: June 29, 2007
    SDK release: March 27, 2008
    App Store release: July 10, 2008
    iPhone OS update for App Store/app compatibility: July 11, 2008

BlackBerry release: Sometime in 2002
    BlackBerry App World release: April 1, 2009

Android SDK preview release: November 12, 2007
    HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1 release: October 22, 2008

iPhone users waited a year for native apps to be available, at which point developers had 3 months to write apps. BlackBerry developers had 7 years to write apps for App World (notice how most App World apps were previously available for download). Android developers had 1 year to write apps.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    isnt there a few threads dedicated to this?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post

iPhone users waited a year for native apps to be available, at which point developers had 3 months to write apps. BlackBerry developers had 7 years to write apps for App World (notice how most App World apps were previously available for download). Android developers had 1 year to write apps.
    Great points! Thanks.
    TROLL!

Does this guy even OWN a Pre?

Whatever...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post

Two points

1) The Blackberry has been around a lot longer than 7 years.

2) When the iPhone was released, it was competing mostly against PalmOS and WM. The Pre has to compete against the iPhone.
    It looks like the OP has realized the errors of his thinking.

Or at least regrets displaying those views on here.
    Can we start a movement to require these trolls to post of pic of thier pre with the forum in the background....
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    OP is a troll...plain and simple.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast