View Poll Results: Annoyed by the vibration?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Its so irritating.

115 56.93%
  • No.

45 22.28%
  • I didn't even notice.

30 14.85%
  • I like it better this way.

12 5.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I seem to be the only one who cares or who has noticed the weak vibration for text messages. Maybe its a palm thing so I'm not used to it but it only vibrates once an I find myself missing a lot of texts because I can't hear/feel it. Does this bother anyone else?
    Yeah, that does suck. I'm assuming it's because the device is so small, and with everything packed so tightly in there, there's not enough room to put enough mass in to make it work right.
    I rarely feel it. Especially the 1 buzz notifications. I think if it buzzed a few times like Treos did, things would be better.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I think it's not so much that it's a weak buzz, but that it only lasts for a millisecond or two.. if it was a little longer, or perhaps repeated a few times, then I might notice it more. although the short quick buzz is definitely better while in class or a meeting, so perhaps an option would be nice
    neathings - neat·things and apps for webOS
    With my Pre on my hip, I've noticed all of the text alerts and email alerts that I have received. When it is on my desk, the screen is usually within eyeshot (Is that even a word) and I see when an alert comes in. That might change once I have a touchstone - if I understand it correctly, it keeps a continual display on the screen, so not seeing the sleek black thing on my desk light up might be a bit difficult to adjust to.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Borderline for me. I check my phone often enough to where it's a moot issue, though.
  7.    #7  
    I just feel like once isn't enough,the little chime helps but not if my phone is on silent.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    You guys are being kind.

IT'S NOT STRONG ENOUGH!!! I returned my Pre because of this (among other reasons), but compared to a Blackberry (any model), the vibrate is pathetic.

It's ok... you can criticize Palm. They did screw this up. For those of us that keep our phones on silent/vibrate exclusively, this is most certainly unacceptable.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  9.    #9  
    Thank you akula34! I love my pre as much as the rest of you and I find myself settling for the lack of things because its such a great phone overall, but this is really annoying. I was literally shocked when I got my first text on the pre. I couldn't believe how small the vibration is.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    You guys are being kind.

IT'S NOT STRONG ENOUGH!!! I returned my Pre because of this (among other reasons), but compared to a Blackberry (any model), the vibrate is pathetic.

It's ok... you can criticize Palm. They did screw this up. For those of us that keep our phones on silent/vibrate exclusively, this is most certainly unacceptable.
    As I've said here before, it's all about perspective. It's on my list of disappointments, but I wouldn't jump off a cliff or return the phone because of it.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    As I've said here before, it's all about perspective. It's on my list of disappointments, but I wouldn't jump off a cliff or return the phone because of it.
    If you read my LONG post about why I returned the phone, it explains my reasoning....

My needs in a phone are VERY different than most people, and what works for me may not be the same as your needs or desires.

It's like a car... Some people can get away with a two, door coupe while other need a mini-van. That's the great thing about consumer items, something for everyone!

But back to the original post.... you have to admit the vibrate is PATHETIC....
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Its weak for my taste but its on par with my previous dumb phone which I also felt was weak.
    If you read my LONG post about why I returned the phone, it explains my reasoning....

My needs in a phone are VERY different than most people, and what works for me may not be the same as your needs or desires.

It's like a car... Some people can get away with a two, door coupe while other need a mini-van. That's the great thing about consumer items, something for everyone!

I agree with all of that.
    Well, being a MANLY man...I cant say that I think the vibrate strength is a weakness. Its noticeable as it is, but having some customization for vibrating patterns would be nice. But using the ball as an indicator light would be a better solution for my needs.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Weird. I find it okay. I wear it in the leather belt case and I actually feel like I notice it more than the Centro, perhaps because it is a short pulse and it gets my attention... but I do check it a lot too, so perhaps I'm missing some but not realizing it since I'm checking the phone a lot...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    What would take more power? Having a vibrate that actually notifies you of a message or constantly having to turn your ENTIRE screen on to see if you have one?

I'd put my money on the screen...

A weak vibrate is one of my biggest pet peeves, but your mileage may vary.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    You guys are being kind.

yes, compared to a BB it is noticeably less notable. I, for one, think it is working as intended. Vibes should be felt not heard. The sound of the angry BB's rattling desktops all day long is what I find irritating.

that being said - and in the interest of understanding other people's needs - I realize that many use the vibration sound as a "nearly silent ringer" (though nearly silent is debatable on BBs) and need to have it be less conspicuous and for those people I hope there is a 3rd party app that will fulfill those needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyca View Post
    yes, compared to a BB it is noticeably less notable. I, for one, think it is working as intended. Vibes should be felt not heard. The sound of the angry BB's rattling desktops all day long is what I find irritating.
    That's a good point; I have been in meetings where my BB spazing-out like a ***** was quite embarrassing. But on the flipside, I've had the Pre go off in my pocket and not even noticed it, which is counterproductive.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyca View Post

that being said - and in the interest of understanding other people's needs - I realize that many use the vibration sound as a "nearly silent ringer" (though nearly silent is debatable on BBs) and need to have it be less conspicuous and for those people I hope there is a 3rd party app that will fulfill those needs.
    A customizable vibrate strength would be great!

And I love my "angry" Blackberry vibrate... I can hear it vibrate all the way across the house!! I sure as hell don't miss any calls or messages!
    Its weak I agree but not a huge issue for me. For me when my phone is on vibrate I'm not taking calls / texts anyways. I know others are different and it may be a bigger issue for them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast