View Poll Results: Annoyed by the vibration?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Its so irritating.

115 56.93%
  • No.

45 22.28%
  • I didn't even notice.

30 14.85%
  • I like it better this way.

12 5.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    That's a good point; I have been in meetings where my BB spazing-out like a ***** was quite embarrassing. But on the flipside, I've had the Pre go off in my pocket and not even noticed it, which is counterproductive.
    Which is why there is a Quiet mode (only phone calls vibrate) or Off (Nothing vibrates). Blackberry gives you MULTIPLE options.

With the Pre it's Ding once or vibrate weakly, once. Kinda like a fruit phone I know....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    That's a good point; I have been in meetings where my BB spazing-out like a ***** was quite embarrassing. But on the flipside, I've had the Pre go off in my pocket and not even noticed it, which is counterproductive.
    I know exactly how you feel except I had a Treos/Centro and it would vibrate so loud and shake the table but now I can't even tell my phone went off if I silence it.

I was not worried at all when the Pre was announced about the strength of the vibration because of previous Palm phones but I think this is a bit rediculous.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I don't have mine set to vibrate for anything. Vibrate is a HUGE source of battery drain for any phone.
    Is there anyway to set a text alert? I've got ringer and system sounds on full volume, with vibrate added, and I never hear a sound (or feel the vibration) when a text message comes my way.

I will chime in and say this is a huge disappointment in the phone. I text my family and co-workers frequently everyday.
    It is a bit weak, but, really, the strength doesn't bother me so much as the lenght. You bare notice it at all. My wife's Centro seems pretty strong,and buzzes 2-3 times longer than the Pre.

Does anyone know if a longer vibration could be a possible Software fix from Palm, or is that just a hardware deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by sipperphoto View Post
    It is a bit weak, but, really, the strength doesn't bother me so much as the lenght. You bare notice it at all.
    Yes! It's NOT the strength... it's the length.

The vibration, and the sound notification, are just way too short for text/e-mail. The phone literally vibrates for a half-second.

Unless I'm holding it in my hand... I never hear the tone or feel the vibration for a text/e-mail notification when the phone is in my pocket.

Not a deal-breaker right now... but this is the ONLY annoying thing about the Pre for me right now.

I hope Palm pushes out an update with a way to change text/e-mail notifications.

Five days with the Pre and I love it. I have a short wishlist of other things I want to see improved, but so far... so good.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I wouldn't hold your breath for all of these updates from Palm. They've moved to far to the Applesque idea of "less is more".

Don't expect ANY functionality like this to be updated soon.

Vibrate is weak and puny compared to ANY other Palm device.

And if you think vibrate is a drain on the device, you're drinking the fanboy kool-aid. Dumbphones & Blackberries last for days with a strong vibrate.... Why's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I think it's not so much that it's a weak buzz, but that it only lasts for a millisecond or two.. if it was a little longer, or perhaps repeated a few times, then I might notice it more. although the short quick buzz is definitely better while in class or a meeting, so perhaps an option would be nice
    This.

I think the vibration capability of the phone is plenty strong and responsive. It just notifies with VERY short bursts. This is nice for the one time notifications (emails, messages, etc.), but I would prefer a more sustained buzz for phone calls (I don't think I've paid attention to that so much yet).
    Geez what are you all running or jumping up and down all the time and expecting to feel it vibrate? I always feel it, maybe the problem is keeping it in a case on your hip instead of a pocket? Different strokes I guess, I can't ever imagine wanting to put my phone in a case on my hip, or for that matter wanting my phone to ever make peep. All vibrate all the time and I have no complaints...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Geez what are you all running or jumping up and down all the time and expecting to feel it vibrate? I always feel it, maybe the problem is keeping it in a case on your hip instead of a pocket? Different strokes I guess, I can't ever imagine wanting to put my phone in a case on my hip, or for that matter wanting my phone to ever make peep. All vibrate all the time and I have no complaints...
    The first time I put a phone on a hip clip and got in my car, the holster shattered on the seat. That was the last time I ever used one. The pocket is where my phone always goes.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
    This.

I think the vibration capability of the phone is plenty strong and responsive. It just notifies with VERY short bursts. This is nice for the one time notifications (emails, messages, etc.), but I would prefer a more sustained buzz for phone calls (I don't think I've paid attention to that so much yet).
    The vibration for phone calls is different, it repeats for a while. I always pick up when I have it with me obviously so idk how long it goes.
    I have to admit I'm surprised more people don't like the way the pre vibrates. On my old moto q each vibrate was much longer. I found it much harder to noticr when I was walking with it in my pocket. IMHO, the pre's short vibrate is easier to notice when I'm walking.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I have the phone sitting on my office desk to the right of me and I can't even tell if I get an alert for an email its so weak!
    the vibration on my old mogul was so harsh and powerful that every single mogul/titan/6800 produced had a white spot on the lower left section of the screen. it was cause by the vibration hammer repeatedly smacking it in the same spot with such force.

thankfully this shouldnt happen with the Pre but I wouldn't mind a little longer on the vibe pulse as I have missed a few notifications due to it. and I keep mine in my pocket.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    The Pre vibrates?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PantsOnFire View Post
    the vibration on my old mogul was so harsh and powerful that every single mogul/titan/6800 produced had a white spot on the lower left section of the screen. it was cause by the vibration hammer repeatedly smacking it in the same spot with such force.

thankfully this shouldnt happen with the Pre but I wouldn't mind a little longer on the vibe pulse as I have missed a few notifications due to it. and I keep mine in my pocket.
    Uhhhh... you might want to do a little research on how the vibrate function works on phones...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbodner View Post
    The Pre vibrates?
    Hahaha lmao
    No offense to anyone here...

But I have one firm belief in life...

I don't wear phones... especially on my hip...

If you do... look in the mirror... and reconsider
    Pre definitely has a weak vibration and needs to be bumped up in the duration of the vibration.
    Guys, this horse was dead long before this post was started. I think its even part of the buglist sticky.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast