Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Repost because my last post on this topic was apparently misleading...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-my-fault.html

How many?
    I've only seen like 2 posts... with cracked screen...

Not bad out of 100,000 units shipped.

Also the phone is kinda small.. and PLEASE NOTE*** It will slide over in your pocket closer to the outer side of your leg. so if your in a chair/car.. and it slides to the outer side of the leg.. there is a lot of tension there and your likely to lean hard against something.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I've seen about 10 but many of them claim it's a defect. I can't recall how many of them took credit for their actions. Some don't recall every event that took place while their phone was in their pocket.
    95% are at fault

95% of statistics are made up

I dropped mine (onto concrete) on Day 1 (and I really think it was "Palm's fault)!

This little river stone popped out of my large hands while I was standing outside a building entrance in a parking garage. The good news is that the little stone skipped around a bit (like a rock) and survived the fall without a scratch!

When relating this story to an iPhone user (who I let try out the Pre for a minute or so), he told me a friend of his dropped a Pre and the screen cracked. I guess we will only know for sure if we address this question with the rigors of science:

My son built a trebuchet that we might be able to use for controlled laucning of Pre's and iPhones. Currently, we have a shortage of projectiles that are willing to participate in the test:

Hypothesis: I think the pre (with it's rounded corners) will be more resistant to screen breakage when launched from a trebuchet than the iphone. Maybe Palm would like to donate some pre's with poor build quality to prove that "even a poorly built Pre is better than an iPhone". :-)

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    The question is flawed, of course anyone who cracked their own screen is at fault for doing so.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    The question is flawed, of course anyone who cracked their own screen is at fault for doing so.
    After I posted I realized that their and own were redundant.

I'll rephrase.

How many people have taken responsibility for a cracked Palm Pre screen?
    I guess what the OP is trying to do here is to say that all those people with cracked screens are whiners who caused it themselves. Aside from the fact that this appears to be untrue, if that's what he means he shouldn't hide behind multiple postings that try to skirt what he really believes.

We already have a thead about broken screens. There's no need for this one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    When I was a teen, I remember one day sitting in the living room and a large glass ashtray (ick--my mom smoked) simply split in two. It was at least 2 inches thick in the center, where it broke, and we'd owned it for well over a year. No one had been near it for at least a day. Flaws can occur that make a product uncommonly fragile. Don't always blame the user for damage. Sure, if they bounce their phone off of the pavement, that's clear cut. But there are some products that are made for everyday use like a cell phone, that can't stand up to NORMAL usage. I've never had any phone break (I've owned at least 8 cells) despite taking no particular precautions with them and I've dropped them all--including on the pavement. The worst thing that ever happened, was to my current LG--the stubby antenna broke, so I had it replaced for $15.

Cell phones should be somewhat rugged--not flimsy little wimps that require extraordinary care.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I guess what the OP is trying to do here is to say that all those people with cracked screens are whiners who caused it themselves. Aside from the fact that this appears to be untrue, if that's what he means he shouldn't hide behind multiple postings that try to skirt what he really believes.

I never said all. I never said anyone was a whiner. You are putting words into my mouth and are assuming too much. My other topic was closed because it was said I was misleading. (I beg to differ as you may note that in this new posting I basically switched the old thread topic and the old thread message. Now's it's strangely not misleading.)

I created a new topic and am trying to be as straightforward as possible.

Statistically speaking there should be a few people, out of the thousands who visit here each day, that have broke their screen by either sitting on it or it hitting something. I just want to know how many has owned up.

I acknowledge that it is possible for a design flaw to exist. But you have to acknowledge that some people will in fact crack their screens by having it in the wrong place at the wrong time. One must account for at least some human error.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

I think what the OP is trying to ask is:

We know of 20 or so screens that have cracked for no clear reason. How many have cracked because of an accident, like being dropped?

I think what he/she is trying to deduce is whether all of the screens are more fragile than we expected or are there a handful of pres with unusually fragile screens.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc2027 View Post
    I think what the OP is trying to ask is:

We know of 20 or so screens that have cracked for no clear reason. How many have cracked because of an accident, like being dropped?

I think what he/she is trying to deduce is whether all of the screens are more fragile than we expected or are there a handful of pres with unusually fragile screens.
    Thank you. Also, "How many cracked in the pocket with a violent impact?" We can compare these photo's with the rest. I have an idea about something but I'll share those only if these photo's support my fear.
    i suspect there is some user involment, but i dont know so i will take them at their word. i hope it doesnt happen to me, but ill keep carrying the pre in my front pocket.

btw, this isnt the first time a palm device got cracks, this is wierd that it happens around the center button. stress crack there seems to be weird unless there is stress being put there.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i suspect there is some user involment, but i dont know so i will take them at their word. i hope it doesnt happen to me, but ill keep carrying the pre in my front pocket.

btw, this isnt the first time a palm device got cracks, this is wierd that it happens around the center button. stress crack there seems to be weird unless there is stress being put there.
    Don't feel too bad about that--I've had several $6,500 insulin pumps develop cracks in their cases. OTOH, they are promptly replaced via overnight delivery, as they are for any defect.
    I was pretty upset. I plugged my phone in to the outlet by the nightstand next to my bed. Before I did this, I had talked on the phone with a friend for about 1.5 hrs. Phone was in perfect condition. Plugged the phone in to charge it, walked over to a mirror to brush my hair and get dressed for the night. Phone rings. I walk over to nightstand to answer phone, and it has 3 cracks. One coming from the charging port, another running from the bottom right hand corner all the up to the upper left hand corner, and a third crack on the left side of the phone. What the heck!!!

I brought the phone in to sprint and told them what happened. They politely exchanged the phone for a totally different one with no questions asked.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelnmo View Post
    I was pretty upset. I plugged my phone in to the outlet by the nightstand next to my bed. Before I did this, I had talked on the phone with a friend for about 1.5 hrs. Phone was in perfect condition. Plugged the phone in to charge it, walked over to a mirror to brush my hair and get dressed for the night. Phone rings. I walk over to nightstand to answer phone, and it has 3 cracks. One coming from the charging port, another running from the bottom right hand corner all the up to the upper left hand corner, and a third crack on the left side of the phone. What the heck!!!

I brought the phone in to sprint and told them what happened. They politely exchanged the phone for a totally different one with no questions asked.
    Sounds pretty creditable but that's not what I'm looking for here. Story's of known causes is what I would like to see.
    Sorry, wrong thread. I'm new here.
    I carry mine in the leather case and I'm overly careful with it, yet I see an internal crack developing on the left and right bottom of the screen where light is leaking thru the area that is suppose to be black. Here's a pic of the area I'm talking about attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aspbsecs View Post
    Sounds pretty creditable but that's not what I'm looking for here. Story's of known causes is what I would like to see.
    Sometimes we have to collect enough data points before we can infer the known cause. Angelnmo indicated she was talking for 1.5 hours, then put the phone on the charger. (I think she did as well as most of us in her first description of the lead-up events as she saw them.)

Angelnmo: I'd like to ask some follow-up questions (which I'm hoping might help others to fill in the missing ouzzle pieces as to what the root cause might be:

1) Do you know (approximately what percentage remaining your phone was at when you placed it on the charger? If you didn't look (which is totally understandable), do you know if a warning (ie: a message/alert saying you had sometjing like 10% remaining) had popped up?

2) Do you recall any part of the phone (ie: the bottom area getting hot during the phone conversation)?

3) What kind of charger did you you use when the cracks developed (Touchstone or micro-USB)? If micro-usb, was this being powered from a computer or via the adapter? What charging method do you most frequently use?

I can't guarantee that I'm asking the right questions above. I'm just fishing for possible answers. Angelnmo, I'm sorry this happened to yout phone and I'm glad they replaced it. Maybe there is just a bad batch of phones that this happens to. It would be nice to figure out the answer and hopefully prevent this from happening to too many other people.

--
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    I carry mine in the leather case and I'm overly careful with it, yet I see an internal crack developing on the left and right bottom of the screen where light is leaking thru the area that is suppose to be black. Here's a pic of the area I'm talking about attached
    Looks like some sort of "glowworms of death"! Thanks for sharing the picture. Again, too bad that happened. Can you see if any of the questions I asked Angelnmo (in the last post) ring true in your case? Can you think of anything that might be causing this (ie: does your phone get hot, or not)?

thanks (and hoping this does not happen to me or too many others),
    --
    Bob
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast