Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    I was very surprised to find out that both the touchstone and the spare battery charger do not come with their own power supply. I knew from these forums that the touchstone didn't, but that was of course after I purchased it on launch day.

    Below is a message I sent to Palm (not looking for free stuff, but an explanation).

    To whom it may concern,

    I am emailing for two reasons:

    First I would like to take a moment to congratulate you on webOS and the pre. It really is a groundbreaking device.

    The second reason is to voice my concern regarding charging opportunities. I know Palm did a good job making the battery as powerful as possible but we know it can't be perfect.

    On launch day I spent $300 on the phone and an extra $100 on a touchstone and car charger. My hope was to keep the touchstone at work and the charger at my home.

    Upon opening the touchstone I found out it does not come with its own plug! It therefore does not offer me an extra place to charge my phone but rather a more convenient place. Frustrated I decided to check Palm's store to spend more money and get an extra battery and charger.

    Although I am a volunteer, having charged batteries is part of my job so I did not mind investing a little extra money. After finding both the battery and charger I read that the spare charger does not come with a power supply either! I do not understand how $100 in charging accessories can be sold without a charger.

    If I were to operate as Palm seemingly suggests I would need to unplug my charger from the wall before going to work. Once at work squeeze behind my desk to plug in the touchstone. At the end of the day I would do the reverse. Come home and plug my spare charger in to charge the battery, wake up when that's complete and put the other battery in.

    For a phone that makes life easier I do not think the activities outlined above jive.

    I would like Palm to take this into consideration. Additionally it has hurt sales, when I return home on friday I will be returning my touchstone and will not be buying the spare and charger. If I am going to be playing with wires all day I might as well save $130.

    Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

    What do you think? Could it really be just to save $5 that they didn't include it?
  2. AustinTim's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #2  
    I just ordered extra cables and power supplies for about $1 each from monoprice.com
    extra wall charger and cord = $2
    car charger and cord = $2
    extra charger and 10" cord for touchstone = $3

    it's a shame that palm is trying so hard to make such a huge profit on chargers and cables!

    -tim
  3. #3  
    I guess palm was just thinking that the touchstone would supplement the charger that was already included in the box. Maybe they did not think that people would want the touchstone as a secondary charger. Who knows, but I know that I do not like the lack of a 2nd charger with the touchstone.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTim View Post
    I just ordered extra cables and power supplies for about $1 each from monoprice.com
    extra wall charger and cord = $2
    car charger and cord = $2
    extra charger and 10" cord for touchstone = $3

    it's a shame that palm is trying so hard to make such a huge profit on chargers and cables!

    -tim
    Tim,

    Do you know for certain they will work? If so I will probably do the same thing, can you post the direct link? Thanks!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Tim,

    Do you know for certain they will work? If so I will probably do the same thing, can you post the direct link? Thanks!
    This is a great question and one I am curious about as well.

    I also have to agree with the OP on this, it just annoys me that they are not giving you a charger with the charger. That to me doesn't make a lot of sense.
  6. #6  
    The lack of a secondary charger with the touchstone was ALMOST a dealbreaker for me. However, I need to transfer data a lot less often with my Pre, and I am finally at the point where I trust my phone to last through a full day with a single charge. I'm picking up a single touchstone today to serve duty on my desk at home - I may pick up a data cable to carry with me, but a second touchstone for work will wait until I move to my new office.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

    Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightZero77 View Post
    The lack of a secondary charger with the touchstone was ALMOST a dealbreaker for me. However, I need to transfer data a lot less often with my Pre, and I am finally at the point where I trust my phone to last through a full day with a single charge. I'm picking up a single touchstone today to serve duty on my desk at home - I may pick up a data cable to carry with me, but a second touchstone for work will wait until I move to my new office.
    I never like complaining on message boards but this is ridiculous! I am currently charging my phone on the touchstone, and in order to transfer data I need to rearrange furniture just to use a cable. My apartment doesn't have many outlets so I have powerstrips hidden from sight and this is the price to pay for that.
  8. cl191's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I never like complaining on message boards but this is ridiculous! I am currently charging my phone on the touchstone, and in order to transfer data I need to rearrange furniture just to use a cable. My apartment doesn't have many outlets so I have powerstrips hidden from sight and this is the price to pay for that.
    I am in a similar situation, I actually have to move my bed and fish for the plug every time, all because they are too cheap to ship a $2 part.
  9. micahdg's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    #9  
    You should follow this thread to see what monoprice cables do and don't work with the touchstone, and well as what kind of carving will be necessary to get the plugs to fit hehe

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...monoprice.html

Posting Permissions