1.    #1  
    Had the pre about a week now. No problems whatsoever till about 45 minutes ago.

Had it on the usb charger at my desk. Took it off to head to a meeting. Screen was on. Tried to press the power button to turn off the screen. It didn't turn off. Tried a few more times, nothing. Let it time-out to go off. Once it had, tried use the power button to wake it up, nothing. Opened the slider, screen comes on, but again can't shut it off with the power button. Holding the power button does nothing.

So I do a normal reboot from the Device Info icon. Pre comes back up, same issues. Sit through meeting with the phone in my pocket. After meeting, still same behavior. I pull the battery and put it back in. Pre does nothing. Press power button, nothing. Open slider, nothing.

Go back to my desk. Put it on the usb charger, Pre boots up. Press power button, screen does not go off. Take it off the charger to try a few more times, nothing. I let it time out again, try to turn on, nothing.

I'm now convinced I have a faulty power button even though it was fine this morning and it has only been on the charger on my desk since I got to work.

As I'm calling the local sprint store to ask about a replacement, it suddenly starts working again. And now is back to normal operation.

WTF? Software issue somehow?

Possibly related... I rooted it last night and tried the bluetooth tether hack with success.

Anyone experience anything like this?
    If the power button is flaky then it may work on occasion but not always. If it happened to me I would presume a HW issue until I could prove otherwise. This presumption is supported by the fact that I haven't seen anything similar in the forums about something like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    If the power button is flaky then it may work on occasion but not always. If it happened to me I would presume a HW issue until I could prove otherwise. This presumption is supported by the fact that I haven't seen anything similar in the forums about something like this.
    Yeah, that's what I'm guessing at this point. Still working at the moment. I'll wait until it happens again before I try to get it swapped.
    This is why I wish the center button would wake the device (or could be programmed to do so if you wanted).

I have a feeling that little power button will wear out over time.
  5.    #5  
    Just an update... I found out the solution.

This happened again the other day. The Pre somehow thought the slider was open even thought it wasn't. When the slider is open, the power button doesn't do anything.

Opening the slider and pressing the power button seems to fix this if/when it happens. Since I'm the only one who has reported it, I'm guessing it's pretty rare.

Anyway, I'm glad that it wasn't a hardware issue, but not sure what the cause is in the first place.
    It "might" be a hardware issue...

On my old T3 the slider switch was flakey (bouncing?). I just set the power settings to ignore it, as I didn't want to hassle with warranty exchange.

You might want to figure out if it is a flakey slider switch, and then decide if it's worth the hassle of exchange. This assumes it happens enough for you to diagnose.
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis10 View Post
    When the slider is open, the power button doesn't do anything.
    I don't believe this is true. I'm sitting here with my Pre in my hand, screen open/up and pressing the power button. Screen is going to sleep and waking back up each time I press the button.

Even tested it to see if it "locks" the power button if the screen times out while the slider is open. After my screen went to sleep, I pressed the power button and it woke up.

Can any one else verify what I described or what the original poster described?

The O.P. may still have a hardware issue of some kind.

I have had a similar issue, only it was to wake up the phone. I pressed it multiple times and it never woke up. I had to open the slider. Once I did that everything seemed to go back to normal and I haven't had the issue since.
    Motorola Q (Original) -> Palm Centro -> Palm 755p -> Palm 800w -> Palm Pre
    My power button works regardless of the screen being open or not so I don't think that is the problem.

You may very well just have a bad button and it just finally failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    This is why I wish the center button would wake the device (or could be programmed to do so if you wanted).

I have a feeling that little power button will wear out over time.
    slider, ringer on/off both can wake up device,

if music is playing, volume button can also wake it up.

front button is easily pressed in a tight pocket, so it might not be a good candidate.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    My fiancee and I ended up both having the same issue on the same day (really weird coincidence, we are still scratching our heads...)

Mine I can get to wake/sleep with depressing the power button but I have to make sure the slider is perfectly closed (with one hand) and depress the power button HARD and perfectly straight down the long side (top to bottom, parallel to charger port side of phone) and that seems to work for me. Also, I observed that the button is a little looser than usual.

Her's doesn't work AT ALL!

If you open up the back cover and look at the buttons for the volume control, you will see the underlying hardware underneath. Honestly, I've worked for electronics manufacturers debugging circuit boards, and those sensors do not look very rugged. At least not enough for a power button used to wake/sleep. And especially for those of us that are power conscious (Pre users? Bueller? Anyone?). I rarely use the volume buttons and use the center button slightly more, but not nearly as much as the power button.

Honestly, from a design perspective, the phone is warranted against manufacturing defects etc. I hope Palm/Sprint honors the warranty to get this fixed. Sucks that it has to be fixed, cause its not really broken just a real f'in nuisance...

Anyone have a real solution?

crap phone -> crap phone #2 -> crap phone #3 -> crap phone #4 -> Palm Treo 755P -> Palm Pre (lovin' it!)

And what is with the wicked censoring on these posts... I didn't even write a bad word, just a resemblance of it.