Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I admit it. I've been waiting for the post-Garnet OS for some time. I never would have gotten an iPhone anyway because I don't like the form factor. But, once again Palm has impressed me. I'm coming from a Centro so some of the WOW of the Pre is old news to you modern users. However, I thought I'd share 3 experiences that are making me a fanboy.

1. Multi-tasking at the lake. This past weekend I took a bike ride in my area. I listened to Pandora the whole way. Stopped at a lake, looked up my GPS location on Google maps, took a photo (Pandora still playing), looked up information on the lake on the web (Pandora still playing) and sent the photo via email to my mom, called her to chat and show her how to get the GPS information from the photo. Couldn't do that as easily on other phones and it was exactly what was needed at the time.
    2. Seamless commute. Today I decided to test Sprint Navigation. First, I got Pandora going over the car stereo via 3.5mm jack and AUX IN. I put in my destination and then remembered I needed to make a phone call. Pulled up Facebook to get the number out of a message in my inbox. Tapped the number to dial and the call routed to my Jawbone headset. Pandora went quiet and Navigation went silent. Since I knew my route anyway, started driving during the call. When I disconnected, Navigation announced over the stereo, "Left Turn, 1.1 miles to Highway XXX". Navigation went quiet and Pandora took over. The rest of the way, I took two calls on the Jawbone, listened to Pandora and heard directions (as Pandora was silenced). Way cool.
    3. Cord-haters unite. This is not a long story. Essentially, when I arrive at work, I set the Pre on the Touchstone, confirm the connection and go about my business. When duty calls, I grab my Pre and I'm off. No muss, no fuss. No disconnecting. No "safely remove hardware". No trap door to open/close. Oh yeah, the geek cool factor is there as well.

The Pre is far from perfect.
    • Outlook won't work until my IT installs the new GoDaddy cert.
    • My Pandora excursions are killing the battery.
    • I miss categories and many of my Centro apps.

However, the Pre is doing what I wanted it to do. Change the way I conduct my life by providing new convenience, easy access to people and information, and bringing a little more fun too. I'm sure some of the headaches will go away with workarounds, updates and new apps.

I guess it's official - I'm a fanboy. . . .
    = Poweruser

You should make a commercial lol
    Once you multitask, you can never go back.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Very nice write-up!
    I feel much the same way. I thought I loved my Blackberry ..... until I got this phone.
    wow you do a lot of multitasking. great writeup... I think the Pre is great, but as you mentioned there are some downfalls that'll hopefully be addressed in a timely manner.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Damn! That's so cool. I'm gushing and I have my very own right here in front of me. And best of all...

I'M A FANBOY TOO!!!

Most of these people who are "returning their pre" just can't be realizing the potential of this phone. There's no other phone out there (to my knowledge) that can do this stuff.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I multitask frequently and have become attached to my Pre, especially the browser. I think I've already made the decision to dump my Verizon Storm.
    It's all about what's most important to you. For you its the multitasking, pandora, the 3.5mm jack and the navigation. While I would love multitasking, full Outlook syncing is much more important to me. Also more important are email (Chattermail is the best) and PocketQuicken.

I don't really need the Nav or Pandora stuff because my car has built in Nav and a dedicated iPod interface (and an old iPod permanently installed). BTW The Centro can dial from facebook and play music in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    True dat. I went to check out the final show of the TV on the Radio/Grizzly Bear tour this weekend, and I went to the wrong club first. The guy I was meeting was texting me to coordinate, and as his texts were coming in and I was answering, I immediately had Sprint Nav look up the new club, and it found a quick route there I wasn't even thinking of.

I didn't think about it until afterward, but having that sort of functionality is not only amazing, but it comes so easy to the Pre. I can't go back.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Damn! That's so cool. I'm gushing and I have my very own right here in front of me. And best of all...

I'M A FANBOY TOO!!!

Most of these people who are "returning their pre" just can't be realizing the potential of this phone. There's no other phone out there (to my knowledge) that can do this stuff.

In their defense, if I were having major hardware failure, I might be singing a different tune. I assume that some units will ship defective, but unless there is a defective design to begin with, solid units can be found as replacements.

If I were a gamer or had major interest in video over my phone, I might think differently also.

My focus is GETTING THINGS DONE and having a bit of fun in the process, but not instead of getting things done. Multi-tasking has been great and if I can see all my calendars, contacts and emails in the same place, that will be the killer app for me (You can ask my admin who tries to keep me on schedule now).
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It's all about what's most important to you. For you its the multitasking, pandora, the 3.5mm jack and the navigation. While I would love multitasking, full Outlook syncing is much more important to me. Also more important are email (Chattermail is the best) and PocketQuicken.

I don't really need the Nav or Pandora stuff because my car has built in Nav and a dedicated iPod interface (and an old iPod permanently installed). BTW The Centro can dial from facebook and play music in the background.
    I wouldn't say Nav or Pandor are a priority for me at all. Frankly, I bought the Pre to get my calendars to do what Blackberry users have had with Outlook (and to add my and my wife's google calendar to the mix). I haven't got that working yet, and if I can't it would be a showstopper. While I wait on my IT dept. and/or Palm, I've discovered the joys of multitasking which is more important on the Pre than my desktop because of the phone and Nav being part of the picture (Most PCs aren't asked to do that much).
    While I would love multitasking, full Outlook syncing is much more important to me.
    Mine does have full Outlook syncing, in fact, I discovered today that it works even better than my BB did. My BB wouldn't update the server if I deleted an email on the device, but the Pre does.

Plus it does so almost immediately, and the Global Address List doesn't take forever searching the database like on the BB. Not to mention there are message previews so I don't even have to open every message that comes in to see if it's important to open immediately. Or the fact that with the notification bar I can tell if I need to check an email with out even freakin' unlocking the device! Just tap the power button. Or the fact that I can easily put any of my dozens of subfolders into favorites so I don't have to go digging through the whole list to find messages related to current projects. I can go on all day with this.

I know some folks are having issues getting connected, but once you're there EAS support is golden.
    @ADGrant - what in Outlook does not sync? Or are you referring to desktop sync? I use Exchange and everything syncs - now, I totally agree that we don't have EVERYTHING we would like (task reminders, calendar invites, dialing from the calendar), but it all syncs.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    @ADGrant - what in Outlook does not sync? Or are you referring to desktop sync? I use Exchange and everything syncs - now, I totally agree that we don't have EVERYTHING we would like (task reminders, calendar invites, dialing from the calendar), but it all syncs.
    Memos sync too? But to clarify, I need desktop sync of all the information I keep in the three instances of Outlook I use (and my Blackberry) in sync. I am not interested in paying an extra monthly charge for EAS sync and I don't have external access to the exchange server at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Mine does have full Outlook syncing, in fact, I discovered today that it works even better than my BB did. My BB wouldn't update the server if I deleted an email on the device, but the Pre does.
    My BB updates deleted emails on the server fine. I assume you were using BES.
    Memos sync too? But to clarify, I need desktop sync of all the information I keep in the three instances of Outlook I use (and my Blackberry) in sync. I am not interested in paying an extra monthly charge for EAS sync and I don't have external access to the exchange server at work.
    Got it, thanks. I don't use memos/notes, so I always forget that one. And understand if you don't have EAS. I have paid for it in the past myself - once I got full Activesync, I never wanted to connect to the desktop again (well, unless I was syncing music or photos!).
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    I call bull****! Nobody can listen to Pandora for the whole day on a bike ride without having a generator attached to the device.
    Memos sync too?
    Memos do not sync, and this was a major bummer for me until they released Evernote for the Pre. You can get an application for Windows/Mac/Linux too, so you can always have your notes with you. It still has a few bugs, but this capability is really awesome.

realistdreamer: I hope you get your EAS working soon, it's pretty awesome! I especially love the global address integration--it automatically searches there as well as you're typing to address an email.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    The primary programs I want to multitask (and as of this writing, can't), is Pandora with ANYTHING ELSE, on my Touch I initially was drawn to considering the Pre from the early reports of it's m/tasking capabilities....then I saw the phone in person--screen and fonts are way too small. Even my wife said the same thing about the Pre and she's been eager to consider getting one. The Pre is definitely not without SOME good features, but QC, screen size, lack of voice dialing and a host of other issues, makes it a good phone only for those with specific requirements. (or should I say for those who have a LACK of specific requirements??)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast