Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't stand the tezt messaging. you can't forward texts. You can't copy and paste info. For example someone sends part of a phone number without the area code. If you click it goes to the phone dial pad but the brilliant dial pad doesn't let you click into the number and add the area code. There are just so many little things that they left out to make the phone easier for people to use and it really hurts the phone. I guess my biggest gripe is not being able to highlight stuff and cut and paste and edit.. Damn!!!!
    Apparently an update including txt forwarding will be out in the next couple weeks - there's another thread addressing the update you can check.
    10 days into it I'd say they did a pretty good job. Little issues will be addressed in due time. If it's too irritating to wait, there is a myriad of other choices for you.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Return it and buy it again in 2 months.

I know that's the apologists answer, but 90% of problems with the Pre will be solved with a software update. So if the choice is to get a 1.0 device in Jun09 vs a 1.1 device in Oct09 then I'd definitely prefer to get it early.

We're early adopters so we have to understand that patience is a Pre requirement.
    You should still be within the return period.
    Isn't the phone number thing addressed by the auto-prepend feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Return it and buy it again in 2 months.

I know that's the apologists answer, but 90% of problems with the Pre will be solved with a software update. So if the choice is to get a 1.0 device in Jun09 vs a 1.1 device in Oct09 then I'd definitely prefer to get it early.

We're early adopters so we have to understand that patience is a Pre requirement.
    I totally agree.

Early Adopter = Beta Tester.

It's sad, but most all hardware and sw developers are doing it now.

Oh', another benefit to waiting til bugs are worked out - it'll go down in price.
    Just call me Berd.
    New thread + !!!
    Maybe you should be patient and wait for an update. If you cannot be patient then you shouldn't have bought a v1 product witha v1 os.
    Quote Originally Posted by kosh56 View Post
    Isn't the phone number thing addressed by the auto-prepend feature?
    Yes, it is. Good thinking! (Assuming of course the area code of the number is the same one you've programmed into your phone for local numbers.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    90% of problems with the Pre will be solved with a software update.
    That would be a neat trick considering most of the problems are hardware and build quality related. Please don't make facts like this up. I understand you simply want to support Palm but completely made up facts like this do not help.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    That would be a neat trick considering most of the problems are hardware and build quality related. Please don't make facts like this up. I understand you simply want to support Palm but completely made up facts like this do not help.
    Made-up "facts" like your comment that "most of the problems are hardware and build quality related"? I purchased my Pre on day one and have absolutely no hardware issues... most of my (few) complaints can be resolved by software. So get your own "facts" straight. Thanks!
    Yeah, you did the same thing as him by saying "most" of the problems are hardware related....
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
    Made-up "facts" like your comment that "most of the problems are hardware and build quality related"? I purchased my Pre on day one and have absolutely no hardware issues... most of my (few) complaints can be resolved by software. So get your own "facts" straight. Thanks!
    Yeah, I co-sign!
    I don't think anyone's been keeping track. You need a scientific sample to determine weather "most" refers to software or hardware or Sprint tower availability.
    What you can say is "Most/99% of my problems are software related", which in my case is fact.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Not much in the way of hardware problems here... so I agree most problems are software related and fixable... including signal issues which arguably can go either way but I firmly believe is software related.
    Sounds to me like clipcarl is now left with the burdens of both proof and rejoinder...

(Just practicing my ontology-speak )
    Most are either not hardware, or unreasonable expectations of the hardware based on its design.

The main hardware issues I keep seeing brought up are the following:

Loose slider. Some of these are legitimate problems, but I have a feeling most are people used to candy bar phones expecting a slider to have no play in it at all, like their other phones. These things are designed to move, and as such it should be expected to have a little, emphasis on the little, play in the sliding mechanism. It shouldn't be sloppy enough to use it as a maraca, but if you apply some pressure to it, it may wiggle a bit.

Cracked screens, these will happen with any phone. Is the screen too brittle? Possibly, I have a little crack on the top of my phone from a drop it took, I think hitting one of the rails my driver's seat glides on. Some of this might have been avoided with a different design, instead of having a curved screen and not having the screen wrap around the entire top half of the device, and having an edge, similar to the iPhone and other devices, that is made of a different plastic.

The battery being loose, I don't know if this is a hardware problem with the phone or the battery. I'm inclined to believe the battery, since several posters have reported this being corrected by getting a new battery from the sprint store.

Dead pixels happen on any screen, as other reviewers have said, they'd be surprised if there weren't some devices having dead pixels. This is not an issue that Palm, Apple, Samsung, Sony, Pioneer or any other manufacturer can completely remedy.

Hot battery, there are a few things which may be at fault here, one that some have stated they found was the loose battery noted above. Others have found it be software related, where certain applications, and email accounts have the system just crunching through data, and it is the CPU and not the battery itself that is heating up. There also appears to be a few memory leaks with some applications, which can make any CPU cry uncle as it heats up. Some of these can be fixed via an update. This heat can also cause some of the screen distortions being seen, as many posters have reported the distortion going away once the phone cooled down.

While there are some design issues, and some hardware problems, most wide spread complaints appear to be software related.
    In my reading of the PreCentral forums it seemed obvious to me that most of the complaints here have revolved around build quality issues, radio issues and battery issues. While it seems obvious to me, I will grant that it may not be obvious to any of you. Normally, it is not necessary in a debate to back up things which are clearly obvious.

However, since some of you are disputing that most of the complaints are hardware related, I withdraw the assertion and apologize.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast