Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hello,

Quick question with universal search. For this test, I've got (google) contacts synced to the Pre as such.
    1. Eric (APPL) San
    2. Ernie Electric
    3. El Bahio
    4. Vince Apu

• If I start typing "El"
      • I get the hit "El Bahio" as expected (first name hit)
      • I do NOT get "Ernie Electric" (last name failure)

• If I start typing "Sa"
      • I get the contact "Eric (APPL) San" as expected. (first name hit)

• If I start typing "AP"
      • I do NOT get "Eric (APPL) San" (middle name failure)
      • I get the contact "Vince Apu" as expected. (last name hit)

• If I start typing "Ba"
      • I do NOT get "El Bahio" (last name failure)

• If I start typing "Vi"
      • I get the contact "Vince Apu" as expected. (first name hit)

I don't get it? Consistently, the first name in the contact comes up w/ Universal Search. The 'last' name or 'middle' name is hit and miss... Any ideas?

Thanks,
    -Who Dah?
    Interesting. If I type 'go' I get all my contacts with first, middle and last names beginning with those two letters:

What came up is:
    - Google Maps
    - Michelle Goewey
    - Google
    - Alex Gorriaran Csep
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hrm... May I ask how you entered your contacts into the Pre? Mine was via that Palm data transfer Application from my old Treo 755p.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Are you sure the fields you are searching for are in the first and last name of your contacts? Searches in company fields only come up with the first letters of the first word, i.e. typing p-i-z-z-a will not come up with a result for Tony's Pizza, you need to type t-o-n-y.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I believe so, please see attached screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I should add: I only see a 'Name' field. Not a 'first name' and 'last name' like on the old Palm OS. Is that consistent with yours?
    Perhaps the ( is messing up the the search function, its not A and thus not bring it up with the search. The other search results not coming up is weird, mine does come up as expected.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    In the business contact field, only the first word can be searched. Hopefully they will fix this and also add contact groups, we can only hope.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Yeah, you're right it's just a name field, no first and last name. Click on edit and see if the info is in the name field or comapny.

Edit: Oops, you did that. This is strange. Don't know man.

Edit 2: Eric San was working though. Look at one of the ones that wasn't working.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    The "(" is causing one of your problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodah View Post
    Hrm... May I ask how you entered your contacts into the Pre? Mine was via that Palm data transfer Application from my old Treo 755p.
    Ah! You may be on to something. Almost all of my contacts came down from Facebook. Any that didn't I actually transfered by hand but that was only like 10 or 15.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodah View Post
    I should add: I only see a 'Name' field. Not a 'first name' and 'last name' like on the old Palm OS. Is that consistent with yours?
    Yes, mine is the same way. And it's the same way in the address field (no individual fields for each element of the address). It seems that the Pre parses these fields itself. this is supported by the fact that if I go into a contact, select edit. then select the circled 'i' next to the address, it pops up a screen which shows the address elements parsed out into individual fields. There is no circled 'i' next to the name but nonetheless it still seems to parse out the pieces of the name because as I stated I'm able to retrieve them inuniversal search.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Sure, I could see that the "(" is a factor. I thought that at first myself. But that does not explain the 'El Bahio' not being brought up with "Bah" nor "Ernie Electric" not being brought up with "El". (Yet "El Bahio" comes up with "El".)

Please see additional attached screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Haha, look at your contact's name again. It's El BaJio, not BaHio. I can't figure out the Electric one yet though.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I don't want to hijack, but I think its related. There is a option to search Google Maps when using the search, but when I start entering an address, the address numbers revert to letters and symbols after I hit the space bar.

Is there something I need to do to keep the numbers as numbers? I'm pretty sure the google maps search option was intended to pull up an address that you needed to look up real quick.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hi dave75: good call! But "El Bahio" or "El Bajio" should come up when typing out "ba", no?

I wish I took a screenshot of that yesterday. The 'ba' test I mean. Because now that you have me doubting that, and I test 'ba', "El Bajio" does indeed come up!!

So how about we go ahead and strike that one off as me being lame. Ha!

I removed the parentheses from the "Eric (APPL) San" contact so now it reads "Eric APPL San". Now he works. "er" works. "ap" works. "sa" works. So there we go, special characters are troublesome! I have other contacts w/ parenthesis in them that do not parse the contents in the parenthesis. I removed the parenthesis and they started working too. So I'm pretty satisfied w/ that answer. Not the fact that it doesn't work, but at least why it doesn't work. Mental note on that one, eh? Begs the question - what other special characters break the universal search? Dashes? Commas?

But that 'el' still is not bringing up "Ernie Electric"... I edited "Ernie Electric" by deleting "Electric" and re-adding it. No go.

I added another contact "Ernie Electric2". That one works fine w/ "el".

Corrupt record perhaps? If so, one can't help but ask the question, "How many others are corrupt?"
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    More oddities. A 4-named person doesn't search the third name.

I.e. Michael Henry Wayne Zion will come up with universal search hits for:
    • Mi
    • He
    • Zi

But not for:
    • Wa

No big deal, right? Not too many 4-named people out there? (No offense intended for those 4-named friends reading this!) But - this means using a long "name" as a workaround for Universal Search only searching the first word in a Business name isn't going to work.

Add a 5th name. "Michael Henry Wayne Zion Smith". Now Universal Search parses Michael, Henry, and Smith. But not Wayne nor Zion. Anecdotally speaking, it appears Universal Search parses the first, second, and last words in a name. IMHO, this is a bug. It should parse them all, just like it should parse all words in a business name, no? Thoughts?

FWIW, I'm on WebOS 1.03 now, and all of the above conversation still holds true.