Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I've got my evil devil's advocate hat on here. If Palm were truly all about the money then it would make sense for them to soon announce a major update that will be released middle of July or later (but not sooner). That way the early adopters will gamble and stick it out past the 30 day return date in hopes that the update will fix their problems. And if it doesn't? Well, too late then. Palm's already got your money. But they'll have a new phone in six months that you should buy because it will fix all of your problems for sure!

    Sure, the old Palm would have gladly done that to its customers, but will the new kinder, gentler Palm?
  2. #2  
    I love conspiracy theories....

    But that was .. Uh.. Well.....










    a sign for you to up your meds. :-)
    Last edited by JohnnyPre; 06/16/2009 at 10:40 AM.
  3. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #3  
    I would think Palm would be banking on current customers already being happy with the phone and not wanting to return it. Makes more sense than that first theory.
  4. StefanP's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #4  
    every pre that gets returned will be immediately sold to another customer since there's such a long waiting list and shortages and all. So they won't earn much extra money with this, but they will upset customers who will post negative reviews about them, which will make them lose more money then they could possibly gain by this strategy.

    So no, they won't be doing such a thing. if there's is gonna be an update announcement, then they will also say what's in the update. else they won't announce it.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    That way the early adopters will gamble and stick it out past the 30 day return date in hopes that the update will fix their problems.
    The Pre has problems? That's heresy, and your soul shall burn in hell for your spreading of lies!

    The only thing I could see causing problems are users and/or their preconceived notions.

    Seriously, though, I think if someone has problems with their Pre they will either deal with it, or return it. I don't know that anyone would wait past a 30 day return deadline in the hopes that a software fix might make their life easier. That's an expensive gamble.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
  6. #6  
    I think every Pre returned gets sent to the refurb/insurance claims department...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    I would think Palm would be banking on current customers already being happy with the phone and not wanting to return it. Makes more sense than that first theory.
    I don't know. There are some obvious issues Palm needs to address (we don't need to go into them in detail here). Some of them may be difficult or impossible to fix with a software update (such as reception and battery issues). If they can't materially address these issues it makes sense for Palm to go this evil route because some people are already starting to jump ship and Palm needs to keep all the money they can right now just to stay in business.

    On the other hand, if Palm can address these issues in software it makes sense for them to release the fix as soon as possible. But I'm starting to think that if these issues were something that could be fixed in software then they'd already be fixed.

    I hope I'm wrong.

    PS: They battery issue may become a moot point because as many people have noted the battery life seems to get much better over time. When I first put my new Seidio 1350mAh extended battery in my new (exchanged) Pre I got 8 hours on the first full charge. 3 days and a couple of full discharged cycles later and I got 25 hours on my last full charge with light use. Not great, but I can live with that.
  8. #8  
    The Pre has actually been in development much longer than reported. I heard from my buddy who knows a guy involved that it was used in Dallas as far back as 1963 to help Oswald's framers make their getaway.

    They waited until the first update to release it to the public, so the next one might be a while...

    True dat!
  9. kurpaige's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    #9  
    25 hours out of a smartphone and that's not great? I don't know what you are use to.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kurpaige View Post
    25 hours out of a smartphone and that's not great? I don't know what you are use to.
    I said with light use. I maybe made 20 minutes of calls total, sent maybe 5 text messages, and did other stuff for maybe a half hour. Under those conditions my iPhone lasts 3 days. That's what I'm used to.
  11. #11  
    I think gsm phones seem to have longer standby ratings than similar cdma phones, which probably gives the iPhone an advantage. But 24 hours for a light usage day for the Pre isn't too bad compared to some of the other cdma smartphones I've used (don't even get me started on the Touch Pro battery life )
  12. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I don't know. There are some obvious issues Palm needs to address (we don't need to go into them in detail here). Some of them may be difficult or impossible to fix with a software update (such as reception and battery issues). If they can't materially address these issues it makes sense for Palm to go this evil route because some people are already starting to jump ship and Palm needs to keep all the money they can right now just to stay in business.

    On the other hand, if Palm can address these issues in software it makes sense for them to release the fix as soon as possible. But I'm starting to think that if these issues were something that could be fixed in software then they'd already be fixed.

    I hope I'm wrong.

    PS: They battery issue may become a moot point because as many people have noted the battery life seems to get much better over time. When I first put my new Seidio 1350mAh extended battery in my new (exchanged) Pre I got 8 hours on the first full charge. 3 days and a couple of full discharged cycles later and I got 25 hours on my last full charge with light use. Not great, but I can live with that.
    every phone has issues. But the idea that Palm is intentionally going to promise updates so people keep the phone beyond 30 days is laughable in my opinion. Despite the complaints you read on here the vast majority of Pre owners are happy with their phones, and I don't think Palm needs to rope a dope the few consumers who aren't happy. Sure we all want tweaks to the system and improvements, who wouldn't but its not like they're gonna lose a huge part of their base in 30 days if they don't promise an update.

    I also love conspiracy theories, mainly for the theorist.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    ...
    But the idea that Palm is intentionally going to promise updates so people keep the phone beyond 30 days is laughable in my opinion.
    ...
    I don't know. Palm has seemingly done exactly that with previous phones with issues (like the 700p). They would ignore the issues for a while then say OK, there's an update coming out. They'd make us wait months for the update and when it finally did come out it would actually fix the problem. That's actually happened, but of course I can't say for certain that it was deliberate to keep people from returning their phones because I was not privy to their secret executive meetings. However, from the outside, to me and a lot of other people it sure seemed that way.

    Now, of course, a lot has been made about how Palm is a different company and promises to do better by its customers. They have even tacitly admitted that in the past their support of their customers has been less than stellar (and I know someone will ask me to back that up so I'll start looking for the quite now).

    All I'm saying is that given Palm's past history, I'm going to keep my eyes open.
  14. #14  
    The Iphone will drop in 3 days and people will sing the praises form the rooftops ....... And then the flaming will start as soon as the apple cool aid is all gone and the problems start surfacing. Look @ the last time they released a new phone. At&t was getting killed by the disgruntled crowd and apple themselves were back tracking on many of their statements and @ the apple stores they were having lines longer than the release lines to begin with. Ask how many iphones were returned for shoddy construction or better yet, how many settlements were paid out because of them causing fires and cases being sealed etc.... Palm is no different. Just part of the land scape and part of doing business today
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I don't know. Palm has seemingly done exactly that with previous phones with issues (like the 700p). They would ignore the issues for a while then say OK, there's an update coming out. They'd make us wait months for the update and when it finally did come out it would actually fix the problem. That's actually happened, but of course I can't say for certain that it was deliberate to keep people from returning their phones because I was not privy to their secret executive meetings. However, from the outside, to me and a lot of other people it sure seemed that way.

    Now, of course, a lot has been made about how Palm is a different company and promises to do better by its customers. They have even tacitly admitted that in the past their support of their customers has been less than stellar (and I know someone will ask me to back that up so I'll start looking for the quite now).

    All I'm saying is that given Palm's past history, I'm going to keep my eyes open.
    Did you own a 700p? I did and it wasn't as bad as the forum members on treocentral made it out to be. The update mainly fixed the bluetooth problem.

    You can't look at a forum like this and make judgments about the entire community.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  16. #16  
    I love conspiracy theories but this is not a good one IMO.

    They could announce a major update but it hasn't happened yet.
    Been a few postings and "leaks" places but no major announcement.
    They'd have to do this pretty soon. Since from what I've heard at BB and Sprint trying to get a replacement they aren't expecting regular shipments until July. So the announcement would need a later date. Screw the early adopters we're just a drop in the bucket.

    Wile Palm surely does have another phone in the works, the Pixie they don't release phones like HTC. They won't have a new flagship phone in 6months.

    And that update. I'd surprised it we don't get one sooner than later. There's just too many things that are obviously missing.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Did you own a 700p? I did and it wasn't as bad as the forum members on treocentral made it out to be. The update mainly fixed the bluetooth problem.
    ...
    Yes, I did (still have it sitting in a drawer). And I disagree, for me at least the problems were every bit as bad as reported. The stuttering problem and the long freezes made the phone completely unusable for me. I trusted Palm's update would fix things and kept the phone but after the longs wait for the update it ended up not fixing these problems. I ended up buying a Motorola Q after just a few months which wasn't stellar but at least it worked. That was $650 down the drain (I paid retail) and I guess I am still a little bitter.

Posting Permissions