Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
       #1  
    Very very basic...add a contact to an event.
    Add a memo to a phonecall (ooh maybe turn spkr phone on when doing it).
    select text from a webpage or sms and paste it anywhere. Seriously, why are we limited to copying text only from input fields?
    how do I send an event to a contact by email for example? It doesn't appear obvious.

    To me, part of synergy should be program interop. P1 says I have all this data available for use, p2 says only this class of data is pertinent to me. It references the data without needing to duplicate it and you have synergy. Right now it seems like I have just as much synergy on wm 6.5 or 6.1. Heck, htc is even creating a contact centric sms/gtalk/I'm method in their next diamond 2.
    Less basic... When adding people to a mass text, when going to add the next person, automatically scroll to the last person added so you can pick up where you left off.
    P.s. Isn't this thing supposed to send out an email when it senses you are late for an appointment based on your gps coordinates.

    Bit of a rant but its getting hard for me to justify keeping this phone.
  2. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
       #2  
    P.s. I was thinking about all that space on the homescreen. It would be nice to do something with it like show next upcoming event or something. With no icons on it, I yearn to see some functionality there.
  3. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #3  
    Windows Mobile is functional but clunky and not intuitive at all and built on an archaic OS.

    Pre has a brand new OS that should last 10 years, but because it is brand new is missing some of the functions that have built up over time for Windows Mobile. If you can work around the issues for 6 months to a year with the Pre then I believe you will have close to equivalent functionality in most areas.

    I signed up for this phone KNOWING that it was a brand new OS that would take some time to build up functionality but gave me enough now (and more) to keep me satisfied. Some people think that they bought a fully mature platform with all features of every other phone already there and of course they are going to be disappointed. It's a matter of expectations.
  4. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    P.s. I was thinking about all that space on the homescreen. It would be nice to do something with it like show next upcoming event or something. With no icons on it, I yearn to see some functionality there.

    There is no space on the homescreen. I keep hearing this request over and over again...but that space is already taken up by cards. You can have a card with "Today" information, but you're not going to get anything natively into that home space because it's already reserved, which in my mind is how it should be from a design perspective.
  5. #5  
    Windows Mobile gets a bad rap because it's a bit older and not very attractive. I found it to be very useful but it reminded me of Windows back in the Win98 days. You had to deal with a few quirks and tweaks in order to get the most out of it. Hopefully Microsoft does a nice full reboot of their OS the way Palm did with WebOS because there is a lot of good functionality to WM. It's just not incredibly usable if you aren't a tinkerer/tweaker.
  6. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    P.s. I was thinking about all that space on the homescreen. It would be nice to do something with it like show next upcoming event or something. With no icons on it, I yearn to see some functionality there.
    The homescreen belongs to my family. I like it the way it is. I'm tired of the cluttered WM screen and I don't miss it at all.

    By the way, I'm a former 6 year WM user.
  7. #7  
    I bought 2.5 years ago a brand new Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 q-Tronic.

    Both, engine version and automatic gearshift were new and unproved ones, but I saw the car and said: that's my car.

    I asumed the more than probable risk of a brand new engine type and a brand new gearshift type, but assumed that in case of trouble Alfa Romeo would make updates to get things done.

    During first months, I suffered problems with engine not running fine, and gearshift electronic problems. All those problems made me doubt about if I made a correct deal buying that car. Why I didn't bought that boring french/german(/whatever boring car you can think about) car instead of this beautiful italian one?

    One day, Alfa Romeo called me: Hey, dude (or better, mr. Dude)! We have an engine upgrade for you! And they upgraded my engine and converted my "John Deere'ish" engine on a sweet and silent 210 HP engine.

    One month later, they called me again: What about your gearshift? We have a reprogrammation for it ready. And they converted it on a fast and responsive gearshift.

    Right now, I ask me how I could ask me about another car different than mine. My AWESOME Alfa Romeo 159.

    And now, replace my car brand with "Palm Pre", "engine" with "basic things the Pre should have" and "gearshift" with "bugs", and you will know the end of story if you have patience.
  8. #8  
    Agreed, Give it some time and palm or third party programmers will address/add at least some of those features.
  9. Tmair's Avatar
    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Pre has a brand new OS that should last 10 years, but because it is brand new is missing some of the functions that have built up over time for Windows Mobile. If you can work around the issues for 6 months to a year with the Pre then I believe you will have close to equivalent functionality in most areas.
    .
    These people (Palm) have been in the PDA business for a long long time, you would think they would have gotten the point by now, I realy don't think "Pre has a brand new OS" is a realistic argument for not having basic functunality right out of the box especialy for a device that took so long to see the light of day after it was officioly announced.
    I am not bashing the pre, I just don't think it is a true business phone, and I am not sure Palm intended it to be, they have the Pro for that, perhaps people need to understand that the Pre was soly intended to be an iPhone competitor, and Sprint trying to keep, or get some of the costomers who where looking at the iPhone, which isnt realy a business phone either.
    IMO!!!
    Terry
  10. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    These people (Palm) have been in the PDA business for a long long time, you would think they would have gotten the point by now, I realy don't think "Pre has a brand new OS" is a realistic argument for not having basic functunality right out of the box especialy for a device that took so long to see the light of day after it was officioly announced.
    I am not bashing the pre, I just don't think it is a true business phone, and I am not sure Palm intended it to be, they have the Pro for that, perhaps people need to understand that the Pre was soly intended to be an iPhone competitor, and Sprint trying to keep, or get some of the costomers who where looking at the iPhone, which isnt realy a business phone either.
    IMO!!!
    Terry
    I would say Palm is aiming for the market between the iPhone and the Blackberry. Blackberry users yearn for something a little more consumerable and iPhone users yearn for something with more business features. The Pre isn't yet there but I would say they aim to be there, which means adding a lot more professional features.

    What you don't understand is that the normal turnaround time for a new phone and a new OS is 2 years. Palm did it in 15 months. This means they had to concentrate on core features and add others as time permits. What Palm considers core features and what many users consider core features often disagree...but you can't please everyone! "Basic" functionality is in the eye of the beholder. What you may assume to be basic, could take 2 months to program.
  11. #11  
    I am glad someone else things the same way I do on this one. I was so ready to get rid of Windows Mobile, but now that its gone I find there were a lot of things WM did quite well. Everything I needed I could see in one glance on the home screen. Expesially the calender which I really need on the Pre.
  12. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    There is no space on the homescreen. I keep hearing this request over and over again...but that space is already taken up by cards. You can have a card with "Today" information, but you're not going to get anything natively into that home space because it's already reserved, which in my mind is how it should be from a design perspective.
    Agreed.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    I would say Palm is aiming for the market between the iPhone and the Blackberry. Blackberry users yearn for something a little more consumerable and iPhone users yearn for something with more business features. The Pre isn't yet there but I would say they aim to be there, which means adding a lot more professional features.

    What you don't understand is that the normal turnaround time for a new phone and a new OS is 2 years. Palm did it in 15 months. This means they had to concentrate on core features and add others as time permits. What Palm considers core features and what many users consider core features often disagree...but you can't please everyone! "Basic" functionality is in the eye of the beholder. What you may assume to be basic, could take 2 months to program.
    That's the point!!! They know there are things to be added, and some features that are not as easy as add a field to a card. Give them the time they need. PalmOS has simply the best PIM apps; do you really think they're going to keep the thing in the way they are right now? We've been told about "The Pre can send an email to all the assistants to an event"... how if you can't add a contact to an event? Simply, the feature isn't ready to make it public, so they hide the field (or erases it) until this feature works perfect.

    This is an example of what exactly means "Palm has a brand new OS".
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    There is no space on the homescreen. I keep hearing this request over and over again...but that space is already taken up by cards. You can have a card with "Today" information, but you're not going to get anything natively into that home space because it's already reserved, which in my mind is how it should be from a design perspective.
    Sorry, I don't have my GSM Pre yet but, can't you move your cards to left the homescreen clean?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    P.s. I was thinking about all that space on the homescreen. It would be nice to do something with it like show next upcoming event or something. With no icons on it, I yearn to see some functionality there.
    Oh oh oh, me me, I want to comment on this one!!

    My Rant had what it called either Balloons or Bubbles on the 'Home Screen' I believe this could be done on the Pre. I really miss having the current weather on my home screen!
  16. Rusty J's Avatar
    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I bought 2.5 years ago a brand new Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 q-Tronic.

    Both, engine version and automatic gearshift were new and unproved ones, but I saw the car and said: that's my car.
    Oddly, I have one of the few vehicles that actually could and did have a firmware patch done to the transmission.
    It changed the clutch engagement curve and shift points, and enabled switching between automatic and manual modes from the paddle shifters on the steering wheel (prevously unavailable).
    The firmware change was stock on '09 models and the previous ones can be upgraded at the dealer to the current version.

    -Rusty
    '09 smart fortwo passion
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
  17. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    Oh oh oh, me me, I want to comment on this one!!

    My Rant had what it called either Balloons or Bubbles on the 'Home Screen' I believe this could be done on the Pre. I really miss having the current weather on my home screen!
    There is no space on the homescreen. You can't move cards off of the homescreen to make room for widgets.

    Therefore there are two solutions to this:
    1) Leave the accuweather card open all the time
    2) Wait for someone to develop a headless weather application using the notification system. There will be a little weather icon in the lower right of your screen, maybe with temp as well. You click the graphic and it expands to displays today's full weather information. Select the notification box again and it takes you to a full card where you can see forecasts and radar.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    .......but because it is brand new is missing some of the functions that have built up over time for Windows Mobile......
    I guess my issue with the argument is simply this

    While it is a fresh new O/S with a lot of potential for further growth (maturity) it should come to the table now with all the things that people have come to "need" and expect from a smart phone. They seem to have left a few basic functionalities out all together. This is not lack of maturity but more a lack of getting it developed in time or an inherent weakness in the O/S

    The O/S matures over time through tweaking what you have to perform more efficiently and also incorporate new innovations/technologies.

    To put into the the analogy of the car as some one else did

    You own a car that has a 3 liter engine making 250 hp and gets 30mpg

    You trade that in for a "new" type of car that has a 4 liter engine making 150 hp and gets 20mpg and dies at random intervals while driving down the road

    But you say that's ok they will give me updates to get back to where I was soon and then maybe it will be even better after some more updates.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    I would say Palm is aiming for the market between the iPhone and the Blackberry. Blackberry users yearn for something a little more consumerable and iPhone users yearn for something with more business features. The Pre isn't yet there but I would say they aim to be there, which means adding a lot more professional features.
    Well, I'm not sure I agree, but none of us really know what Palm is thinking. I believe, however, they're aiming straight at the iPhone market. Those who complain that's it's not enough of a PDA or PIM, including me, had better get used to it. IMHO, Palm doesn't really care about us. The consumer and entertainment markets are where the big money is to be made, and adding more complexity to the PIM apps to make a few suits happy, at the expense of turning off the teenager or her mom, isn't going to happen.

    The only hope for the old line, hard core PDA users among us is the third party, and it remains to be seen whether Palm will open up enough of the device to let that happen. So far, we can't even sync tasks through 3rd party tools. That leads me to believe the SDK doesn't provide for it, which doesn't give me a lot of hope for other capabilities.

    I think Palm;s abandoned the PDA market with WebOS. As they've said before, if you're a business user buy a WM Treo.

    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    That's the point!!! They know there are things to be added, and some features that are not as easy as add a field to a card. Give them the time they need. PalmOS has simply the best PIM apps; do you really think they're going to keep the thing in the way they are right now? .
    Actually, yes. Well, not exactly, but I don't think Palm has any intention of bringing the PIM apps up to the level of P-OS.

    What you don't understand is that the normal turnaround time for a new phone and a new OS is 2 years. Palm did it in 15 months.
    That's one way to look at it. The other is that it took them 4 years (or 10) to do it. Even more important, purchasers are comparing the Pre to version 2.0, 30, and 6.0 devices. The typical buyer doesn't know or care what version the OS is, they just want something that works.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  20. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    I guess my issue with the argument is simply this

    While it is a fresh new O/S with a lot of potential for further growth (maturity) it should come to the table now with all the things that people have come to "need" and expect from a smart phone. They seem to have left a few basic functionalities out all together. This is not lack of maturity but more a lack of getting it developed in time or an inherent weakness in the O/S

    The O/S matures over time through tweaking what you have to perform more efficiently and also incorporate new innovations/technologies.

    To put into the the analogy of the car as some one else did

    You own a car that has a 3 liter engine making 250 hp and gets 30mpg

    You trade that in for a "new" type of car that has a 4 liter engine making 150 hp and gets 20mpg and dies at random intervals while driving down the road

    But you say that's ok they will give me updates to get back to where I was soon and then maybe it will be even better after some more updates.
    What you're asking out of this OS that was developed in 15 months is way too much, IMO. For all the things you "need" to be there you would have had to wait another 6 months at least. It's just not possible to build an OS and have everything in there at the beginning. Ask ubuntu, ask Android, ask Apple...come on. The basic core of our current version of Windows has been around since 1995 and think about all the functionality they're still adding. You're on the ground floor here, you have to have at least a little patience...or return your phone and try again in 6 months.

    You guys act like this is as simple as saying it and making it so. Coding doesn't work that way. You have a list of things that you believe should be in your OS, your prioritize that list by how long it will take to implement and the overall value added and you go for it. I'm sure Palm knows all of these things that should be in there, they're just not feature ready yet. I for one am loving what I do have right now and looking forward to the added functionality as it comes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions