Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That's one way to look at it. The other is that it took them 4 years (or 10) to do it.
    From a company standpoint yes...but from an engineering standpoint (what really matters with a new OS) then no, it's been 15 months.

I agree the consumer doesn't care as long as it works and I think we're seeing that for the majority of consumers Web OS 1.0.x is more than enough. There are more power users who want more features and those will come with time. Palm clearly focused on the core features to get up and running and the consensus from nearly every reviewer is that they succeeded.
  2. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Windows Mobile gets a bad rap because it's a bit older and not very attractive. I found it to be very useful but it reminded me of Windows back in the Win98 days. You had to deal with a few quirks and tweaks in order to get the most out of it. Hopefully Microsoft does a nice full reboot of their OS the way Palm did with WebOS because there is a lot of good functionality to WM. It's just not incredibly usable if you aren't a tinkerer/tweaker.
    yes but even if you tweak it, it doesnt compare to webos/mobile osx
    i was running the latest hardware - the diamond and the touch pro
    with the latest custom firmware and i cant tell ya how many times my alarm didnt go off and i was late to work because it FROZE WHILE CHARGING
    or the camera wouldnt work, thus i had to take out the battery and minutes later the photo was long gone. those are just some of many crapshoots of windows mobile. honsetly, i dont think ill ever go back to windows mobile now unless 7 will really raise the bar
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    I was introduced to WinMo about 6 months ago, and at first blush thought it was going to be revolutionary for me. So one of the IT guys loaned me an HTC Mogul they had lying around, and I swapped out the SIM card from my BB and carried it around for a couple of days.

I found that, while it's a very capable and flexible OS that will do just about anything, it was a nightmare to actually live with it. I couldn't do ANYTHING on that device with one hand, and had to use the stylus for everything. While it was capable of quite a lot, it didn't seem there was any task you could perform on it easily and simply. Except maybe placing a phone call.

It's all about the interface.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    yes but even if you tweak it, it doesnt compare to webos/mobile osx
    i was running the latest hardware - the diamond and the touch pro
    with the latest custom firmware and i cant tell ya how many times my alarm didnt go off and i was late to work because it FROZE WHILE CHARGING
    or the camera wouldnt work, thus i had to take out the battery and minutes later the photo was long gone. those are just some of many crapshoots of windows mobile. honsetly, i dont think ill ever go back to windows mobile now unless 7 will really raise the bar
    Spot on
    Its the unpredictability of WinMo that bothers me.

Browser sluggish, cell radio signal is searching all the time or broken,
    applications don't open at all , need to kill few from task manager ( if you are unlucky the task manager won't open)

then a reboot will fix automagically few issues ..

talk about waste of time.
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    The sad true to it is, just because the company is Palm, this device is not or was not suppose the be a better Treo. The webos is 100% new consepts of how to do things and they are gonna make sure the average person loves the device not the old Palm OS power users. Like it or not, the make more money and get more developers involved by pleasing the average person that walks in and just want a nice fancy new phone. Why do you think the Centro sold so well with its "tiny" keyboard. Everyone wanted a bigger keyboard, this phone was not targeted at you totally. Power users are harder to please and yall want damn near perfect apps, so the money now is in the person that would buy 10 fart apps and not think twice.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    These people (Palm) have been in the PDA business for a long long time, you would think they would have gotten the point by now, I realy don't think "Pre has a brand new OS" is a realistic argument for not having basic functunality right out of the box especialy for a device that took so long to see the light of day after it was officioly announced.
    I am not bashing the pre, I just don't think it is a true business phone, and I am not sure Palm intended it to be, they have the Pro for that, perhaps people need to understand that the Pre was soly intended to be an iPhone competitor, and Sprint trying to keep, or get some of the costomers who where looking at the iPhone, which isnt realy a business phone either.
    IMO!!!
    Terry
    I agree. I think with the experience of older Palm programmers and the benefit of the recently added previous employees of Apple, they should have released a product with more basic features/options that simple and previous Palm phones have like setting different tones, forwarding messages, copy paste from web, etc. Priorities should have been given to these over, say, the NASCAR app.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poldim View Post
    I agree. I think with the experience of older Palm programmers and the benefit of the recently added previous employees of Apple, they should have released a product with more basic features/options that simple and previous Palm phones have like setting different tones, forwarding messages, copy paste from web, etc. Priorities should have been given to these over, say, the NASCAR app.
    The NASCAR app was most likely developed by Sprint and even if not was contractually obligated by Palm to provide so that is a really silly example.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    2) Wait for someone to develop a headless weather application using the notification system. There will be a little weather icon in the lower right of your screen, maybe with temp as well. You click the graphic and it expands to displays today's full weather information. Select the notification box again and it takes you to a full card where you can see forecasts and radar.
    I think this is a fantastic idea. Even better would be some sort of ticker that could show (in a strip) weather, stocks, etc in a way that doesnt clutter up the notification area.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    What you're asking out of this OS that was developed in 15 months is way too much, IMO. For all the things you "need" to be there you would have had to wait another 6 months at least.
    Then maybe the O/S is showing and inherent weakness and they are unable to code those features in as they should and maintain a stable platform. Or maybe they just didn't have the cash/talent to get the job done in a reasonable time period.

Either way you are basically doing some beta testing for the company and for that privilege you are paying them $200 plus a 2 contract extension.

Personally I would not want to spend the money to take a step back (and I was really itching to buy one of these phones). I would rather have waited 6 months and gotten a completed O/S instead of one that needs to have multiple updates just to get back to square one. My current treo is an 800w and it does have some quirks - Palm killed it in less than a year. Who says they will be around a year from now to keep pushing updates.... Who says they will have the money to do so if they are around. Who says they won't ditch the Pre and move onto something else.

As for another post about the one hand use of WinMob - depends on the phone. I carry a Moto q9c for work and hate it - not a one handed device at all. I carry my treo 800 for personal use and it can count the number of times I have used the stylus on one hand and have zero issue using it one handed. I may buy a Treo Pro off contract to scratch that new phone urge as I do not currently want a Pre and I do not wish to extend my contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Well, I'm not sure I agree, but none of us really know what Palm is thinking. I believe, however, they're aiming straight at the iPhone market. Those who complain that's it's not enough of a PDA or PIM, including me, had better get used to it. IMHO, Palm doesn't really care about us. The consumer and entertainment markets are where the big money is to be made, and adding more complexity to the PIM apps to make a few suits happy, at the expense of turning off the teenager or her mom, isn't going to happen.
    I strongly disagree with this. I believe the facts that this device has a keyboard and that it only ships with 8GB of non-upgradeable storage (too little to be a mainstream media device) clearly show that Palm is targeting this device more at professionals and business users.

The fact that the only new software features Palm has promised so far are upgrades to the ActiveSync support to make it work with more corporate servers also clearly show their focus. Palm is also expending resources to get Funambol's sync software running on the Pre, and that's something that's only used by businesses, professionals and serious power users. the Pre's media apps are rudimentary (you can't even seek to a particular spot in a song) and only the PIM apps use the Pre's major feature, Synergy.

So I gotta say that to me it looks like Palm is much more targeting the Blackberry than the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    The NASCAR app was most likely developed by Sprint and even if not was contractually obligated by Palm to provide so that is a really silly example.
    THe point is that reguardles of who developed the program, this program and several other of the same caliber are on the phone and working and other "Useful" programs are not!
    Terry
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    ... Palm is also expending resources to get Funambol's sync software running on the Pre ...
    Are they really working on a SyncML type client? That would be HUGE for me personally and professionally. OTA sync of contacts, calendar and tasks with my own (non-m$ exchange) server. My own cloud sources, NOT Google or somebody else with my personal data! I've used a Synthesis syncml client on WM for years. Please Palm, or anybody for that matter, come out with one for WebOS.
    Wow! What's that strange feeling? I'm missing WM. Add the card metaphor for multi-tasking to spb mobile shell and the wife gets the Pre and I'm back to WM... I think.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12