Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I think we all should stop comparing Pre to a 1yr old iphone 3g. The Pre doesn't out speed by "all that much." How about wait and compare the Pre to the iPhone 3GS?

    Yet, of most importance, speed comparisons between devices using different OS is silly! I suspect there is going to be no speed difference between the 3GS and Pre (again, whatever that means), though the iPhone might be faster because of a much more mature OS. The only speed thing that might matter is how responsive the GUI feels, which (sorry) the Pre during my 30 min playing in the store didn't feel all that fluid due to it being v1.02 I suspect...

    Let's focus on stuff that matters... such as apps, functionality, battery life, etc...
  2. shadrap's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    #2  
    Searchable, have you seen the videos showing the GUI's in comparison? Most of the ones I have watched showed the Pre being faster than the 3G, but you are correct, it is not a fare comparison. So, we will have to see how the new iphone does.

    Also, remember there is no telling how well the one in the store was running, was the cache cleared, did it need a reboot etc... I have not experienced any lag with most of my apps.
  3. notabun's Avatar
    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #3  
    You're right, let's focus on the stuff that matters, like AT&T and their tiny 3g network.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Searchable, have you seen the videos showing the GUI's in comparison? Most of the ones I have watched showed the Pre being faster than the 3G, but you are correct, it is not a fare comparison. So, we will have to see how the new iphone does.

    Also, remember there is no telling how well the one in the store was running, was the cache cleared, did it need a reboot etc... I have not experienced any lag with most of my apps.
    Have not seen that video. I am on a wait list to get a Pre. I may stop by the store and play with the Pre again after rebooting. But reports here do echo my finding that the GUI felt a bit laggy or not smoothly responsive. Again, it has to be v1.0 syndrome....

    I just find the comments of "my cpu is faster than your cpu" to be just silly.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    You're right, let's focus on the stuff that matters, like AT&T and their tiny 3g network.
    Well, since you want to mention network. How about how the CDMA Pre can't be used around the world since most countries are GSM?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Well, since you want to mention network. How about how the CDMA Pre can't be used around the world since most countries are GSM?
    I travel out of the country quite frequently, but even I still spend 90% of my time here in the US. So I'd definitely rather have a Sprint phone that gives me good 3G coverage here where I need it most and not be able to use it in Europe than have an ATT phone with a much more expensive plan that gives me a minuscule 3G coverage area that I can use in Europe.
  7. #7  
    Actually, it all depends on what you mean by "speed." If you're looking solely at how much more quickly one device opens an application than another, then I'm sure that the Pre will be handily bested by the iPhone 3G S (and the Pre may never catch up, who knows?). If you mean speed by which a user can get things done, then the Pre is arguably "faster" than any other smartphone on the market. I say "arguably" because the Pre simply isn't ready to replace, say, a BB or PalmOS device for some folks due to very specific requirements.

    Consider that at any given time, I'll bet the typical Pre user has multiple cards open and running in the background. I usually keep messaging, Accuweather, calendar, two Tweed cards (which unfortunately don't background update yet), email, and a Web site or two running. Each of these is virtually instantaneously available to me--no delays in opening and closing apps as on an iPhone or PalmOS device or switching delays on, say, a Windows Mobile device. Indeed, they're actually valuable, in many cases, in the "minimized" card state, such as Accuweather which shows the temp, the calendar which shows my upcoming schedule, and email which shows new messages.

    I simply cannot fathom how an iPhone could keep up with level of productivity given that apps have to be closed, then opened, then closed again, then opened again, etc., etc. And with my Touch Pro, although things were running in the background, switching back and forth entailed as much of a delay as I get opening new apps on my Pre. I understand that the BB is faster at switching, and so that's probably better competition for the Pre, while the PalmOS is quick at opening and closing apps but doesn't multitask.

    No, for me so far, my Pre is second only to my PCs in the speed at which I can actually get things done. By that measure of speed, at least, it's more than worth talking about.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I travel out of the country quite frequently, but even I still spend 90% of my time here in the US. So I'd definitely rather have a Sprint phone that gives me good 3G coverage here where I need it most and not be able to use it in Europe than have an ATT phone with a much more expensive plan that gives me a minuscule 3G coverage area that I can use in Europe.
    The AT&T plan isn't all that much more expensive unless you need unlimited texting. Though like you I spend 90% of my time in the US, most of my travelling is outside the US and I like my smartphone to still work since I use it more when travelling than I do at home. It's more important to me than the fastest on phone web browsing experiance.

    BTW For those of you with a GSM smartphone, you should enter U.S. numbers in your phone book as +1 (XXX) YYY-ZZZZ, that way your speed dials will work anywhere in the world the phone does. For UK numbers you put a +44 on the front (France is +33, Germany +49).
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Well, since you want to mention network. How about how the CDMA Pre can't be used around the world since most countries are GSM?
    Meh.
  10. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The AT&T plan isn't all that much more expensive unless you need unlimited texting. Though like you I spend 90% of my time in the US, most of my travelling is outside the US and I like my smartphone to still work since I use it more when travelling than I do at home. It's more important to me than the fastest on phone web browsing experiance.
    For most people then buying an "international capable" phone is like buying a snowblower in Los Angeles. Some day you "might" need it, but in reality then it's more of an inconvenience than a benefit. I had an iPhone for a bit and as an iPod/Gameboy/PIM then I loved it, but as a phone then the ATT network made it a static-y, spotty and almost unusable.

    I think the biggest deciding factor in cellphones shouldn't be the phone itself, but network it rides on.
  11. #11  
    you specifically mean "browser" speed.

    yes, I kinda agree we should focus more on important things such as desktop-level multitasking, synergy etc.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The AT&T plan isn't all that much more expensive unless you need unlimited texting. Though like you I spend 90% of my time in the US, most of my travelling is outside the US and I like my smartphone to still work since I use it more when travelling than I do at home. It's more important to me than the fastest on phone web browsing experiance.

    BTW For those of you with a GSM smartphone, you should enter U.S. numbers in your phone book as +1 (XXX) YYY-ZZZZ, that way your speed dials will work anywhere in the world the phone does. For UK numbers you put a +44 on the front (France is +33, Germany +49).

    It's nice your I-phone is international, wanna know how much it costs to roam in the UK per min not to mention data......and unlike other GSM phones if you simply switch sim cards with your iphone to a local service.....you've voided the warrenty cause you have to open it up to do so...I wouldn't use international capabilities as a plus. The cost of using it makes getting a local device the best option when overseas!

    Seriously....Each day I get 1 or 2 calls about international service most revolve around can i just use a sim card from this foreign company on this phone? The nokia 6655 is a "dumb" phone with quad-band capabilities!...also don't forget att wont let you use any of the "world packages" to get the reduced rates until you have been with att for at least 3 months(I get alot of *****ing about that rule)


    The txt options now are 200-$5 1500-$15 or Unlimited for $20...Thats sent and received and there is NO mobile to mobile TXT options.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 06/16/2009 at 05:00 PM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    It's nice your I-phone is international, wanna know how much it costs to roam in the UK per min not to mention data......and unlike other GSM phones if you simply switch sim cards with your iphone to a local service.....you've voided the warrenty cause you have to open it up to do so...I wouldn't use international capabilities as a plus. The cost of using it makes getting a local device the best option when overseas!

    Seriously....Each day I get 1 or 2 calls about international service most revolve around can i just use a sim card from this foreign company on this phone? The nokia 6655 is a "dumb" phone with quad-band capabilities!...also don't forget att wont let you use any of the "world packages" to get the reduced rates until you have been with att for at least 3 months(I get alot of *****ing about that rule)
    You don't need to open up an iPhone to replace the SIM card. You just use a special SIM card removal tool that comes with your iPhone (or a paper clip works too) and insert it into the hole next to the headphone port and the SIM card tray pops up. So if your iPhone is unlocked, you can use a prepaid SIM card from the country you're visiting.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    You don't need to open up an iPhone to replace the SIM card. You just use a special SIM card removal tool that comes with your iPhone (or a paper clip works too) and insert it into the hole next to the headphone port and the SIM card tray pops up. So if your iPhone is unlocked, you can use a prepaid SIM card from the country you're visiting.
    As far as Telesales goes we cannot have the Iphone unlocked. So you'd have to jailbreak it...voiding the warranty.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    It's nice your I-phone is international, wanna know how much it costs to roam in the UK per min not to mention data......and unlike other GSM phones if you simply switch sim cards with your iphone to a local service.....you've voided the warrenty cause you have to open it up to do so...I wouldn't use international capabilities as a plus. The cost of using it makes getting a local device the best option when overseas!

    Seriously....Each day I get 1 or 2 calls about international service most revolve around can i just use a sim card from this foreign company on this phone? The nokia 6655 is a "dumb" phone with quad-band capabilities!...also don't forget att wont let you use any of the "world packages" to get the reduced rates until you have been with att for at least 3 months(I get alot of *****ing about that rule)


    The txt options now are 200-$5 1500-$15 or Unlimited for $20...Thats sent and received and there is NO mobile to mobile TXT options.

    NVM
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    It's nice your I-phone is international, wanna know how much it costs to roam in the UK per min not to mention data......and unlike other GSM phones if you simply switch sim cards with your iphone to a local service.....you've voided the warrenty cause you have to open it up to do so....
    I don't use my AT&T SIM in Europe and I don't have an iPhone, so no worries there. Not everyone who prefers AT&T has an iPhone you know). One reason I don't own an iPhone is the SIM locking, the other is the lack of a physical Querty keyboard. I use text messaging and much more in Europe than the US (and the phone's email client).
  17. #17  
    Shouldn't this day and time the iPhone plan include unlimited texting. I know some do not use it, but I would venture out and say that well over 70% of iPhone users text. ATT needs to get in the ball game, their 3g network has not increased in size in North Carolina any over the last 2 years. That is crazy.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    For most people then buying an "international capable" phone is like buying a snowblower in Los Angeles. Some day you "might" need it, but in reality then it's more of an inconvenience than a benefit.

    I think the biggest deciding factor in cellphones shouldn't be the phone itself, but network it rides on.
    I agree with your second point which is one reason I don't have a Pre. I don't want Sprint. Their network is not particularly good in the US and I can't use most of their phones in Europe. I spent about 10 weeks in Europe last year, it was great having a phone
    that worked. I spent a couple of days in places in the US my phone didn't work that well. The people that lived there used Verizon.
  19. #19  
    If I traveled overseas regularly, I'd probably buy one of the first generation iphones (out of contract), and then make do with that while overseas. It might be nice to also have an iphone in addition to a pre in order to develop and test apps.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    If I traveled overseas regularly, I'd probably buy one of the first generation iphones (out of contract), and then make do with that while overseas. It might be nice to also have an iphone in addition to a pre in order to develop and test apps.
    That's exactly what I do. I have a first gen iPhone, unlocked, and when I go overseas I just buy a prepaid sim card.

Posting Permissions