Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so I've had the phone for 10 days now and here's how I feel:

The phone in theory is great. The thinking behind it is ahead of the competition and if they ever actually fine-tune this thing it will probably be one of the best most functional smart phones available.

BUT the sluggishness and over all poor execution on this phone is pretty much unbearable. The apps are slow to launch, the phone doesn't hang up sometimes after you think you've tapped 'end call', the battery life is miserable and the keyboard could have been much more user friendly.

But most importantly the touch screen just isn't that good. Too often I have found myself tapping the screen trying to get a link or menu to open and the screen either doesn't register my tap, or taps something else, causing immense frustration on my end.

With all that said I will be taking advantage of the 30 days or your money back deal with sprint and will be reactivating my Blackberry 8830 and waiting for the Blackberry Tour to drop on Sprint.

Anybody else considering returning their pre? Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoeChop View Post

The phone in theory is great. The thinking behind it is ahead of the competition and if they ever actually fine-tune this thing it will probably be one of the best most functional smart phones available.

BUT the sluggishness and over all poor execution on this phone is pretty much unbearable. The apps are slow to launch, the phone doesn't hang up sometimes after you think you've tapped 'end call', the battery life is miserable and the keyboard could have been much more user friendly.

But most importantly the touch screen just isn't that good. Too often I have found myself tapping the screen trying to get a link or menu to open and the screen either doesn't register my tap, or taps something else, causing immense frustration on my end.

With all that said I will be taking advantage of the 30 days or your money back deal with sprint and will be reactivating my Blackberry 8830 and waiting for the Blackberry Tour to drop on Sprint.

Hmmmm, I always consider taking *anything* I purchase back, LOL. But seriously, I would like them to work out some of the bugs and glitches. I think it will need to have a couple solid updates to address these.

Maybe it would be wise for you to take advantage of the 30 days, go back to your 8830 and check back in a couple months. I 'had' to switch. Was on AT&T and could get a signal and couldn't stand the plan prices.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Well if you are not enjoying it then return it and go back to your old phone. As for me I am liking this gizmo and I totally disagree with you that it is only great in theory. The Pre is a great phone. Period.
    I have CONSIDERED returning to my 8330 Blackberry, especially since the new Tour was announced hopefully to be released next month, but I'm not gonna pull the triggger at this point. I too am hopefull for a couple of GOOD updates, and some great apps in the next few months to make me feel better about my purchase. We shall see what happens.
    Why return the best phone out? No way no how am I returning my Pre! I love it!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    no one on this forum has considered taking it back
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    no one on this forum has considered taking it back
    And there are no other threads on the forum already where people are talking about returning their phones.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoeChop View Post

Blasphemy!!!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    OP - i am also considering it. There are threads on Why the Pre sucks. they were out 4 days after launch on THis fourum. It's got some issues - However, I really like it... My fear is that my case is already loose... I dont mind charging every night, just want to make sure i dont have to Haul my charger Every Where i go...

I do however keep in mind that this is totally New Frontier. New Phone. New OS. bound to be bugs... I wouldnt Mind as much if Palm listed known bugs that are in the works of being fixed, and at least let us know what's up. I fear the main patch will not be released until 31 days after launch.

So - I will keep mine for at least 28 days, then decide.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I am also *SERIOUSLY* considering my Pre.

I took my phone off the charger this morning at 8am, and now, at 10am, my battery is down to 76%. All settings are optimized, and I have sent 4 texts, written a one line e-mail, and one 3 minute phone conversation. I am in class now, with good reception, and it continues to lose 1% every 6 minutes or so. I've tried calibrating the battery and everything discussed elsewhere on this forum to no avail.

I love the phone, but if I cannot trust it to get me through the day without turning off every feature that I bought the phone for, then it is worthless to me. Now I fear I've lost my SERO plan and will have to return the Pre until Palm gets some of these bugs fixed.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I like the phone, but on my first "business day" of ownership during *my* peak calling period (when I am in my car on my commute home) this kind of @#%@$ is not going to keep my as a Sprint customer.

Regardless of how much I like the phone.
    Well since I can't post photos you'll have to put these into your browser yourself.

tinyurl.com/nuox23

tinyurl.com/lbkjte
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zhensley View Post
    I am also *SERIOUSLY* considering my Pre.

I took my phone off the charger this morning at 8am, and now, at 10am, my battery is down to 76%.
    My phone battery life has improved since I followed the instructions from another forum member.

Once your phone hits 100%, unplug it and 5 second later plug it back in. Let it sit for 15 or more minutes, wash, rinse, repeat. I did this for the majority of Sunday .. leaving my phone on the charger.

I took the phone off the charger at 7:40am today. Its now 10:11am and I am at 94%. I had my IM client logged in on my drive to work (no WiFi oviously). I turned it off when I got to work. We have a wireless AP I can access here at work.
    I am taking mine back today.... I love the phone, unfortunately I am not getting very good reception in my home. The Airave doesn't work because the towers here are owned by a Sprint affiliate and they won't be building any new towers for three months.... I'm pretty upset about the whole deal.... I really really like the Pre....
    And then get a spare battery or two. All these posts about battery (yes, some excessive) and you have a removeable battery for these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    My phone battery life has improved since I followed the instructions from another forum member.

Once your phone hits 100%, unplug it and 5 second later plug it back in. Let it sit for 15 or more minutes, wash, rinse, repeat. I did this for the majority of Sunday .. leaving my phone on the charger.

I took the phone off the charger at 7:40am today. Its now 10:11am and I am at 94%. I had my IM client logged in on my drive to work (no WiFi oviously). I turned it off when I got to work. We have a wireless AP I can access here at work.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    GoD_trentonj: I am having disappointing network connectivity issues myself. I have a post pending "moderation approval" which has two links to screen shots that show dropped calls.

I can't deal with crappy signal / missed calls / straight to voicemail as frequently as I experienced yesterday (my first full business day with the phone)
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    And then get a spare battery or two. All these posts about battery (yes, some excessive) and you have a removeable battery for these situations.
    Agreed the removeable battery is definitely a selling point for me. You can't do that on the iPhone when the power fades to zero.

I am hoping my reception issues on the phone were a temporary problem and nor the norm.

I am using my 30 days to figure out if 'the network' will work for me in my area.
    If you don't have good service...I don't know why anyone would stay with a carrier to be honest.

I live and spend most of my time in NYC. So I never have any signal issues....but if you do, it makes no sense staying because you like other features of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    If you don't have good service...I don't know why anyone would stay with a carrier to be honest.

I live and spend most of my time in NYC. So I never have any signal issues....but if you do, it makes no sense staying because you like other features of the phone.
    Because...the issue is we didn't have problems with service on prior Sprint phones. This isn't a Sprint issue.

If you live in a strong signal area, you're probably not noticing it but go somewhere that is a medium-low signal area and you will. An exchange doesn't help. I'm on my 3rd Pre. All have done this including my wife's. That's 4 Pre's with signal issues where as there were no such problems using a Centro.
    As much as I like the phone, the battery life, poor reception and missed calls are forcing me back to my iPhone. This phone is not quite ready for the business crowd as far as reliability. Also I have concerns over the build quality and whether this thing will last me the course of a two year contract. The slider function is progressively getting looser each day. I had high hopes and the software is great in a lot of ways but it needs revisions and I do not want to be a beta tester.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Because...the issue is we didn't have problems with service on prior Sprint phones. This isn't a Sprint issue.
    My problem is that I am coming from Verizon so I don't know what to expect with Sprint.

I assumed that the CDMA / EVDO towers were adequate for my Verizon service and the same would hold true on Sprint -- which is why I didn't think twice about switching to Sprint.

So now I am at a loss to experiment more with signal quality or call the Sprint store and ask for them to replace the device if the issues continue.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast