Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The problem is the Sprint EVDO network can't do voice and data simultaneously. If the IM client is very chatty when online, it will block you from receiving incoming calls. The solution is not to run IM in the background.
    Beautiful. So "multitasking" only really works well when multitasking among multiple data programs. If you want to throw receiving phone calls into the multitasking list over EVDO, soon your calls will be going straight to voicemail.

I have noticed if I switch back to IM immediately after making a call, the client is busy signing back into the IM network(s). I kinda figured it can't keep you online with the IM network during a call, thanks you confirmed this for me.

I'll be honest -- the pluses that originally brought me to this phone seem to be getting fewer and fewer. I absolutely love the mail client over the mail client on my iPod touch -- its so much easier to read 3 emails 1 from each of 3 different accounts because the Pre has a "common" inbox. As the Guiness guys say -- Brilliant!
    Hello Delta-9,
    donm527's comment about data activity stopping voice calls from coming through is both a helpful comment, yet leading you to a potentially false conclusion at the same time. I did a little internet research while keeping the situation you described to me in mind. My internet searches indicated that if you were in a 1xRTT (non-EV-DO) coverage area *AND* your data connection is busy, the incoming call will in fact go to voicemail.

If I recall correctly, your second screenshot (the one when you were driving home from your parents) indicated you were roaming to another carrier's (likely this means Verizon's) EV-DO, but you had a zero-bar signal and the call was dropped. I'm not sure what happens in that case, but it's entirely possible that your phone might have dropped down to 1xRTT when the call came in and your data connection was also busy. If the "stars" aligned this way, this would explain why the call was directly routed to voicemail.

There are a few things to keep in mind here:

1) If you are in an EV-DO area, on the Pre, I'm 99% sure the incoming call will interrupt the data and allow the call in. (I say 99%, because I think you, me, and others should test this on their own rather than relying on what others tell us without our "testing" what they say.) I happened to do a test of these sorts yesterday (without acutally planning the test): I had an incoming call interrupt streaming from the Pandora radio application. Just by coincidence, I had turned my wi-fi off, so I know this hapened over EV-DO Rev A. One of us can do some more formal testing to prove whether this happens reliably. If you need help devising some testcases to prove this, please feel free to PM me.

2) Think about this from a "Sprint competing with the iPhone" perspective. On the iphone, if the call is not in 3G, it will interrupt the data connection and allow an interactive call to come through. (I believe in their 3G network, the call would not interrupt - exactly the opposite of what happens on CDMS (ie: Sprint and Verizon). Still, Palm's CDMA carriers (Sprint, and Verizon next year) are going to want to be as 'feature compatible' with the iPhone as possible. Feel free to do some searches on this forum as your time permits. I believe things aren't really as bad as your initial experiences have shown so far. Once you learn how things really work, will you please also post an update to this thread?

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Feel free to do some searches on this forum as your time permits. I believe things aren't really as bad as your initial experiences have shown so far. Once you learn how things really work, will you please also post an update to this thread?
    I am certainly not making any rash decisions based on 3 days of use. I will be using no less than 3 weeks of my 30 days before I come to any conclusion about the Pre and the Sprint network. I am going on vacation for 4 days next week, that'll be a great time to get a better understanding of how the phone will fare, especially when I am traveling outside of my "home" area.

I can comment that I did not have similiar issues yesterday when I was driving home. I left the IM client logged in and didn't receive the "no free lines" message, I tried calling my VM multiple times. I didn't have any issues with incoming calls, but I did turn off the IM client once I got home and had my computer nearby.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123