Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i'm starting to think about returning the Pre and getting the Tour...i'm such a phone addict i just cant make up my mind. there are alot of things missing from the Pre but there are a lot of things that i really like. i also really miss the keyboard on my blackberry...ahh i dont know what to do.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yama95 View Post
    As much as I like the phone, the battery life, poor reception and missed calls are forcing me back to my iPhone. This phone is not quite ready for the business crowd as far as reliability. Also I have concerns over the build quality and whether this thing will last me the course of a two year contract. The slider function is progressively getting looser each day. I had high hopes and the software is great in a lot of ways but it needs revisions and I do not want to be a beta tester.
    omg! I'm having the exact opposite experience coming from the iphone 3g. To be fair, I can see you touting battery life if you were using the iphone and not the iphone 3g. The pre outlasts the iphone 3g in battery testing for talk time and internet browsing (3g/evdo). I'm curoius about wifi battery time on the PRE vs iPhone 3g, haven't seen any information on that.

I'm getting awesome reception and 0 dropped calls so far, which is far better than when I had ATT here in the Atlanta, GA area.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    i like the phone but not what i lost . video being 1 , able to change res. for pics. diff colors for calander events unless i missed it . SECURITY for diff apps and contacts. cant use palm desktop.just seems we gave up alot to get some other things. havent figured out how to set diff sounds for texts prob more just cant think of it at the moment. but really hope they come back with this stuff
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I love the Pre. Of course there are a few things I wish it could do and hope that they will update in the future. But, it isn't a deal breaker for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    I like the phone, but on my first "business day" of ownership during *my* peak calling period (when I am in my car on my commute home) this kind of @#%@$ is not going to keep my as a Sprint customer.

Regardless of how much I like the phone.
    Well since I can't post photos you'll have to put these into your browser yourself.

tinyurl.com/nuox23

tinyurl.com/lbkjte
    Thanks for sharing these screen shots. I'm not sure they really point to problems worth dropping Sprint or the Pre for though:

1) I saw the screen in your first picture (once). I was able to successfully make a call just by trying a second time. What was your experience when attempting to make the call again? What percentage of your total calls resulted in this screen? (If you're seeing it a lot, that's an issue, but I suspect it might have just been a one-time thing as it was for me.)

2) In the second picture, you are roaming EvDo with a zero-bar signal. What did you expect? If you're in an area that neither Sprint or Verizon covers well, then I guess faded signals and dropped calls is no different than what you would experience on any phone/network. It would be nice if the phone could fall back to 1xrtt (but I don't know if that's possible once a call is in progress). Were you able to reconnect the call after it dropped? Did your phone revert from EvDo roaming to 1xrtt roaming shortly after dropping the call? Did any subsequent call(s) get dropped too? Just curious for more details (so others can accurately gauge the severity of your problems).

thanks, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Because...the issue is we didn't have problems with service on prior Sprint phones. This isn't a Sprint issue.

If you live in a strong signal area, you're probably not noticing it but go somewhere that is a medium-low signal area and you will. ... That's 4 Pre's with signal issues where as there were no such problems using a Centro.
    Thanks for sharing this point. Maybe someone in this forum will figure out how to "hop up" the hardware (or software) so the phone actually performs comparably to other phones. In day 1, I was trying to use my phone in the downstairs cafeteria of the Worcester Technical High School (while my son and other kids were having their state science fair projects judged). I definitely felt the frustration you are experiencing that day. Granted, my phone was not very well charged (it just came from the store an hour before), but I agree this device was not behaving very nicely that first day where I had a weak/roaming 1xrtt signal.

-- Bob
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Thanks for sharing these screen shots. I'm not sure they really point to problems worth dropping Sprint or the Pre for though:
    Bob... I have discussed this on another closed forum with some other folks. I posted the same screen shots and here was what I said to them.

Call #1 to my Friend Andy - dropped before it rang
    Call #2 to my Friend Andy - dropped before it even got close to ringing
    Call #3 to Andy went through - got voicemail left message

At this point I started to wonder about the network, so I started testing the signal by calling my voicemail. Which is when I got the image I originally posted (twice). (Image originally posted = image link #1 from above (no free lines))

At that point my friend Andy called me back and I was able to talk to him.

Then on the ride home from my parents after I picked up our daughter the voicemail indicator went on and the phone never rang. Trying to listen to that voicemail I received this (insert image link #2 from my previous post here)

Then I tried again and I finally got the voicemail.

So thats about 4 out of 6 calls dropped ... lets just say there is a snowballs chance in hell that I'll be sticking with Sprint if this trend continues. Regardless of how much I like the phone.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Bob -- Also.

After the above 4 of 6 calls had problems my wife tried to call me on her way home from work 7:30pm and she went straight to voicemail. She then called the "house phone" aka MagicJack and I asked her if she had tried the cell phone and she said she did.

At that point I disconnected from my IM clients and asked her to call back.

That call went through.

I should've had her call me back again at that point after I turned the IM clients back on.

Maybe I have a wonky phone?????
    Bob... I have discussed this on another closed forum with some other folks. I posted the same screen shots and here was what I said to them.
    Then on the ride home from my parents after I picked up our daughter the voicemail indicator went on and the phone never rang. Trying to listen to that voicemail I received this (insert image link #2 from my previous post here)

Then I tried again and I finally got the voicemail.

So thats about 4 out of 6 calls dropped ... lets just say there is a snowballs chance in hell that I'll be sticking with Sprint if this trend continues. Regardless of how much I like the phone.
    A appreciate you being willing to share the details of this issues you faced. If they don't directly help you, they might indirectly help someone else. I have a few more questions that might help you narrow down the causes of what you saw:

1) Were the calls to Andy on launch day (Saturday 6/6/09)? If so, it might have been an issue where Sprint needed to do some previsioning changes to account for the new phone on their towers. (If this continues to happen, try and keep a log. If you're willing to share the details with someone at sprint customer service, you might be able to get the issue fixed (or at least have someone explain the cause to you) before your 30 day trial period is up. My recent experience with Sprint customer service is that it's much better than it used to be. If you run into someone who is not helpful, again: not the amount of time you spent with them, whether anything they suggested was helpful, and whether they took you down any ratholes. Next (when you have a little time) call *2 on your phone and say "Cancel" to the automated voice prompt (whose name is "Clare"). This will connect you with retentions. Kindly explain to the retentions person that you want to help solve these problems, and that you're willing to work with Sprint to understand and help fix them. If anyone has given you good service, mention their names. Do the same thing for any customer service encounters that were not helpful or wasted your time. Ask the retentions person if they will make notes on your account regarding the problems. (You don't really need this leverage in the first 30 days, but if you decide to stay with Sprint, this should give you some leverage should you decide to stay with Sprint and find a need to bail out later.)

Back to the issues you mentioned: If the Andy problem only happened on Day 1, I'd see what happens on the remainder of your trial period.

2) I noticed from another post in this thread that you are a former (and hopefully still current) Verizon customer. Your calls to voicemail on your way home from your parents were roaming (probably on the Verizon EVDO network). If you still have your Verizon phone (and it's still operational), you should regularly note the signal strength on the new vs old phones (especially when the pre is roaming - most likely on Verizon). By reading another post in this thread, I suspect that the pre is much worse at pulling in weak signals than most other phones.

It seems that you use you phone mostly on the road. I know for home users that have weak reception, Sprint often gives them a free subscription/rental to a device called an "airwave". Presumably this boosts the signal. I'm not sure whether this would work in a mobile situation. I suspect it's designed for stationary use (but you can ask Sprint if this might work in a mobile scenario). You might have to buy a power-inverter (converts 12 VDC to 125 VAC), but it might be a solution. Maybe you can google this to see what's possible (or better yet, a forum member who knows can chime in here).

Hopefully Sprint can escalate your issues/debugging to someone really knowledgeable who can really help you. Your case is the type that this forum can use to gauge whether Sprint Customer service really has improved or not. If all of this feels "too technical" for you (or requires more time than you have to spend), don't feel compelled to solve the problems. Hopefully your bad experiences can help others. For the future, keep in mind that a future pre on Verizon probably won't be any better for you than on Sprint. I believe the Pre is hackable enough that you could ESN swap it onto Verizon if you really wanted to determine if it is the network or the phone. That sounds extreme, but I'd love to see some real "techie" provide that answer (as It would tell people like you whether the "phone" or the "network" is the real issue here).

--
    Bob
    The Pre has been returned and I'm back on my crappy Centro... Not having the same dropped call issues. I also am out of contract now. I will probably stick with Sprint for a bit at least until the Tour comes out. I do know they are building new towers here, but won't be for 3 months... I don't want to leave Sprint... but I want a nice phone, so may check out the iPhone... For me it wasn't the network really, as I don't have reception issues with the Centro... I REALLY am a big fan of the Pre...
    I'm keeping mine. I seem to not have any of the issues that you are experiencing. I use to have those problems with my HTC Touch and Pro but not with the Pre. The phone rocks!!

Actually I was considering returning the phone cuz I was getting poor battery life but I changed a couple settings on email...and now my battery lasts me through a day with good use.

Very happy now.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Bob -- thanks for your further input.

I only received my phone on Friday afternoon (6/12) from a local "affiliate" Sprint store. The guy at this store has been more than helpful -- his store was actually not "allocated" a single Pre by Sprint, however he has a friend in the B2B arm of Sprint who has been sending him Pres when his customer are willing to allow him to get in touch with his friend and pass the account information along to his friend. It seemed a little bizarre, but he got it done and I don't feel everything was on the up and up -- he just wants to bring people on board.

Ok with that said, he has recently emailed me my receipt because in the hurry to get my new phone home, I didn't get it from him on Friday. So I just emailed him back and sent him the same screenshots I posted here. He just emailed me back and seemed to think that was out of the norm from his experience around this area. I am going to give it a little time and see how things pan out.

As far as Verizon goes -- I do still have my wife on Verizon -- she has a large family and is geographical separated -- she will stay on Verizon for at least the next 6 months. Where I had the second dropped call I did have spotty coverage in the past on my Verizon phone so maybe you are correct. Maybe the Pre is a little weaker in that area and will continue to drop calls -- I'll buy that.
    Not returning mine. I have too good a plan and too good service on Sprint to go to another carrier. Out of all the Sprint phones I can't think of one that I would prefer. My Touch Pro was OK but it was glitchy sometimes. None of their other phones would do what I want so Pre it is. I might have gone for one of the new crop of Android phones on the way or maybe even an iPhone if the plans were better. As it is, I can't justify that much more a month.
    Just thinking.. Sprint can't do voice and data at same time... Is your IM client running in background on data in that it is tying up your phone to allow voice to come through causing calls to go straight to voicemail?

Bob -- Also.

After the above 4 of 6 calls had problems my wife tried to call me on her way home from work 7:30pm and she went straight to voicemail. She then called the "house phone" aka MagicJack and I asked her if she had tried the cell phone and she said she did.

At that point I disconnected from my IM clients and asked her to call back.

That call went through.

I should've had her call me back again at that point after I turned the IM clients back on.

Maybe I have a wonky phone?????
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    i'm starting to think about returning the Pre and getting the Tour...i'm such a phone addict i just cant make up my mind. there are alot of things missing from the Pre but there are a lot of things that i really like. i also really miss the keyboard on my blackberry...ahh i dont know what to do.

set up a spreadsheet with a colum for pros and cons. then assign a weighting factor to each feature included or missing. That should help you decide if you want to ditch the Pre. BTW, for me the factor of the small screen is a 10, and no voice dialing is also a 10, in the negative column.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Just thinking.. Sprint can't do voice and data at same time... Is your IM client running in background on data in that it is tying up your phone to allow voice to come through causing calls to go straight to voicemail?
    If thats the case there is something seriously wrong with this wireless data device pretending to be a *phone*.

Phone calls are #1 priority, the multitasking is great, but not if I constantly miss calls because my IM list needs to update someones online / offline status.

The multitasking was a selling point for me -- however if the phone can't handle both and correctly background the data services when a call is coming in -- this phone is going back.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoeChop View Post
    Ok so I've had the phone for 10 days now and here's how I feel:

The phone in theory is great. The thinking behind it is ahead of the competition and if they ever actually fine-tune this thing it will probably be one of the best most functional smart phones available.
    Yes agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DoeChop View Post

BUT the sluggishness and over all poor execution on this phone is pretty much unbearable. The apps are slow to launch, the phone doesn't hang up sometimes after you think you've tapped 'end call', the battery life is miserable and the keyboard could have been much more user friendly.

But most importantly the touch screen just isn't that good. Too often I have found myself tapping the screen trying to get a link or menu to open and the screen either doesn't register my tap, or taps something else, causing immense frustration on my end.
    the phone is slow , but not sluggish ( so far for me) .
    I use browser, PANDORA, Google maps , Navigation, SPRINT TV and the phone everyday.
    IT IS FAST ? NOPE .
    WOULD IT WORK ? ABSOLUTELY.

Do you know that BB is not touch screen at all.
    And do you know that the browser on BB is circa 1980.
    BB is only good for onething email and keyboard.
    If thats the case there is something seriously wrong with this wireless data device pretending to be a *phone*.

Phone calls are #1 priority, the multitasking is great, but not if I constantly miss calls because my IM list needs to update someones online / offline status.

The multitasking was a selling point for me -- however if the phone can't handle both and correctly background the data services when a call is coming in -- this phone is going back.
    The problem is the Sprint EVDO network can't do voice and data simultaneously. If the IM client is very chatty when online, it will block you from receiving incoming calls. The solution is not to run IM in the background.

BTW The iphone won't have this problem for two reasons

1) It won't let third party apps stay connected in the background

2) Even if an IM client was running, the AT&T 3G network can handle voice and data simultaneously.

Perhaps the iPhone should be on Sprint and the Pre on AT&T.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My phone battery life has improved since I followed the instructions from another forum member.

Once your phone hits 100%, unplug it and 5 second later plug it back in. Let it sit for 15 or more minutes, wash, rinse, repeat. I did this for the majority of Sunday .. leaving my phone on the charger.

I took the phone off the charger at 7:40am today. Its now 10:11am and I am at 94%. I had my IM client logged in on my drive to work (no WiFi oviously). I turned it off when I got to work. We have a wireless AP I can access here at work.
    I did this yesterday using my computer to charge the phone, and today my battery is still the same. Took the phone off the charger at 8:18 and by 8:40, with one 30-word e-mail and a 4 minute phone call, the battery was already down to 95%...unacceptable. Do you all think it could be a defective battery? I'm seeing all sorts of you all getting better battery life with the same settings.

I love the phone, but I can't recharge my phone all day and be scared to make phone calls/return e-mails.
    As a business phone, I find it lacking due to the network (data and voice). 90% of the time when I am travelling arond when you click on a new email subject it tells me they can not be accessed due to the network (this is throughout Tampa). The phone service is just plain terrible here. If I can not perform the hack to do Roaming Only, I will be returning it. I work out of the house, and I can no longer use my phone there (or MANY other areas). Even with no Sprint signal, it only sometimes will Roam and then switches back to no signal. I miss calls all the time, and get dropped about 75% of the time. Maybe Pre on Verizon later will be better. Hopefull then the battery situation will be fixed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast