Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    check out these stats and tell me pre does not have potential (for all those nay sayers).

Palm Pre’ speedy ARM Cortex A8–based OMAP 3 processor — Palm Pre Blog
    Stats don't mean anything of the company doesn't implement and/or take advantage of the features. The new iphone 3GS uses the same type as the Pre now though...
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    The new 3GS is using a chip made by Samsung. The Pre's chip is made by T1. The T1 chip is suppose to be the superior chip from what I have read.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    The new 3GS is using a chip made by Samsung. The Pre's chip is made by T1. The T1 chip is suppose to be the superior chip from what I have read.
    TI as in texas instruments not T1 (one)

but yeah, the OMAP3 Chipset is pretty beeffy. The design is based of ARM8 core. ARM9 dual cores will be around sometime next year. Sweet Sweet Sweet
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarwong View Post
    TI as in texas instruments not T1 (one)

but yeah, the OMAP3 Chipset is pretty beeffy. The design is based of ARM8 core. ARM9 dual cores will be around sometime next year. Sweet Sweet Sweet
    Thanks, for the correction.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    For comparison, there are two other devices that use the same chip. Sony Ericsson Satio (12.1MP camera) and Samsung Omnia HD (shoots 1280x720 aka 720p) video. So this chip has potential.
    They are very similar chips. Id expect them to be very close in capabilities.
    Is it true that the iPhone 3Gs uses two processing chips...and that is what makes Apple's voice recognition technology functional?

A colleague in the voice recognition industry commented on this dual chip feature, but I have yet to corroborate it.

Lawrence
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    Is it true that the iPhone 3Gs uses two processing chips...and that is what makes Apple's voice recognition technology functional?

A colleague in the voice recognition industry commented on this dual chip feature, but I have yet to corroborate it.

Lawrence
    Dual chip phones are not expected until next year.

Lawrence
    iPhone 3gS processor and GPU explained: AnandTech: The iPhone 3GS Hardware Exposed & Analyzed
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    iPhone 3gS processor and GPU explained: AnandTech: The iPhone 3GS Hardware Exposed & Analyzed

Very cool...

"The Pre is most definitely faster than the iPhone, but it still has some rough edges. Combine the power of the Pre with the highly optimized software stack of the iPhone and you’ve got the recipe of an extremely fast iPhone."
    -AnandTech

The crew at Palm have certainly built the best hardware foundation possible. Now it's up to the software team to throttle up and smoke the competition. Exciting times!

Lawrence
    Very cool...

"The Pre is most definitely faster than the iPhone, but it still has some rough edges. Combine the power of the Pre with the highly optimized software stack of the iPhone and you’ve got the recipe of an extremely fast iPhone."
    -AnandTech

The crew at Palm have certainly built the best hardware foundation possible. Now it's up to the software team to throttle up and smoke the competition. Exciting times!

Lawrence
    I have no doubt that Palm will iron out a lot of stuff to make the OS very competitive then how it is now.
    Anyone see the precentral homepage- the entry about the Pre skin being made for the iPhone? Seeing it in action, how fast the mock WebOS UI looks even on an older iphone, makes you realize how much faster WebOS *should* be -- like the dialer is super speedy on the iphone compared to Pre, all the apps come up way faster, etc.

http://www.precentral.net/iphone-owners-get-your-pre

So here's hoping they continue to optimize code and get rid of whatever bloat and layers are stifling app performance, since this CPU is clearly capable of so much more.
    Last edited by odditory; 06/18/2009 at 01:30 AM.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    "Boot time in as little as 4 seconds"

lol
    hows this for a coincidence (or not, i'd love a conspiracy).. one part of the processor is called the "emulator pod". hmm.. i know one Pod my pre enjoys emulating:

www palmpreblog.....co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/omap3430 .jpg

And iRDA is infrared, like from the old palm pilots..
    XGA res is basic desktop size, 1024x68. Somewhere in Palm labs, a pre could be running a pretty big screen
    Last edited by JonS; 06/18/2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: this image posting rule its pretty bogus..