Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    With my trusty old Treo 700 I used to be able to search my entire device for a string or keyword.....like a word in the notes for a particular contact or a phone number prefix

There was lots of promo buzz about the Pre's "Universal Search".....but that doesn't seem to include words in the Notes section of contacts....

Is this another "less is more" feature of the Pre or should it be reported as a "Bug"?

Warren C.
    Warren C.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Yeah, Universal Search doesn't go into any content (like e-mail, notes, bookmarks, etc).

I don't think its a bug, so much as the result of being cut due to a time constraint during development. Hopefully, it'll be added with a future update .
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's not really "Universal" search if it doesn't index and search memos and e-mail text. Sadly, I don't think the iPhone has real universal search yet, either...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Yeah, it's not really "Universal" search if it doesn't index and search memos and e-mail text. Sadly, I don't think the iPhone has real universal search yet, either...
    Wednesday.

iPhone OS 3.0 is being released Wednesday which has a truly universal search. Spotlight searches contacts, calendar, apps, emails, notes, and the iPod portion of the device.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    It doesn't search the calendar either. I used this feature on my 755 all the time. It was a great way to find a previous appointment or as OP said a note in Contacts. I hope this is added back asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Wednesday.

iPhone OS 3.0 is being released Wednesday which has a truly universal search. Spotlight searches contacts, calendar, apps, emails, notes, and the iPod portion of the device.
    I think the only thing missing from iPhone 3.0 search is actual text in an email. I only searches headers (From, To, Subject). This is still a lot better than the Pre though.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Who cares about the iphone, I love my Pre HOWEVER search is a step backward right now. They need to add the ability to search in each ap and universal in notes, calendar etc.

How does one report a bug like this to Palm?
    I would love to search emails too..
    Quote Originally Posted by elefant View Post
    Who cares about the iphone, I love my Pre HOWEVER search is a step backward right now. They need to add the ability to search in each ap and universal in notes, calendar etc.

How does one report a bug like this to Palm?
    It isn't a bug its a feature request. And it isn't worth requesting, they are well aware of that request.
    I learned an interesting thing about the contacts search. I have several entries like "John and Jane Doe" and if I type in "jane" nothing comes up. I can only search on John or Doe. But I figured out that if I replace the "and" with an ampersand, it allows me to search for "jane" so that helps a little. If I have one that says "john boy & Jane Doe" that negates that... I then cannot search for "jane". It will return no records.