1.    #1  
    Whats the best way to convert MP3 files to format the pre uses for ringtones? Sorry if dumb question, new at ringtone stuff. Just know I want to add a few MP3's if I can.

Thanks
    I use audiko.net
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    mp3's work as ringtones. no need to convert anything.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  4.    #4  
    Hmm I hooked up via USB and moved a .mp3 ringtone to the ringtone directory. When I tried to use it, it was not on the list? What I miss?
    I posted this in another thread that has long since droped off the radar.

It is easy and even fun to make ringtones for your Palm Pre from your existing mp3's.

First, the Pre can use existing mp3's as ringtones but you may want to use a different part than the intro and the intro may be too soft to make a good ringtone. You can easily cut and edit just the part of a song that you want.

Here are the key things you need in an audio file editor to do this:
    1. An easy way to cut out just the right section, about 30 seconds long
    2. An easy way to fade-in or fade-out, adjust loudness, etc.
    3. It should be free and easy with no learning curve.

For Windows or Macs, Audacity is all of the above. Here is how easy it is to customize mp3's into good ringtones.

Let's start with an easy one. Take the Older Phone ringtone that came with your Pre and make a new version that is loud enough to hear. The first thing is to find and edit the Older Phone mp3 file.

1. Connect your Palm Pre to your computer as a USB device using the USB cable.
    2. Use Windows Explorer or an equivalent to find files in your Pre.
    3. Open the Subdirectory "Ringtones".
    4. Right click on Older Phones and click copy.
    5. Go to your computer's hard drive, right click a subdirectory you want to use and choose paste.
    6. Open Audacity and choose the Older Phone file to edit.

Editing the file is easy. For instance to make it louder, click Effects>Amplify. Try a level and listen to it. Click Edit>Undo if you don’t like it. Try highlighting just sections and making changes. When you are done, save it as "Older Phone 2" so as not to confuse the two.

Safely remove the USB device and you should have a new ringtone, Older Phone 2, on your Pre. Check out your new ringtone on your Palm!

You can do the same with any mp3 that you have on your computer. Just use your audio editor to find your music subdirectory and choose one of your songs. If you imported your music using iTunes they may be hidden. That's one reason to use Real or another program to import music. They will let you keep your own music. You want to clip out about 30 seconds to make your ringtone.

Have fun! Post any questions.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 06/15/2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sproctor61 View Post
    Hmm I hooked up via USB and moved a .mp3 ringtone to the ringtone directory. When I tried to use it, it was not on the list? What I miss?
    Simply add the .mp3 file to the root directory of your Pre on your PC. Then go to Sounds and Ringtones on the Pre and tap the ringtone. From there, tap on the music note with the plus sign icon and you should see a list of all your .mp3s. Tap your selection and it will now show up in your ringtone list.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFix View Post
    Simply add the .mp3 file to the root directory of your Pre on your PC. Then go to Sounds and Ringtones on the Pre and tap the ringtone. From there, tap on the music note with the plus sign icon and you should see a list of all your .mp3s. Tap your selection and it will now show up in your ringtone list.
    OMG that was to easy LOL. Thanks guys for all the help!!!

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    mp3's work as ringtones. no need to convert anything.
    The Pre can use an MP3 as a ringtone but you may want to use a different part than the intro. Plus without editing the intro may be too soft to make a good ringtone.

- Craig
    Remember also that a mp3's id tag will dictate how the file is listed in the menu.
    WavePad Sound Editor - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Lets you cut and paste from Mp3's to make ringtones you want. Also lets you amplify up to 300 percent. Very nice.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Lets you cut and paste from Mp3's to make ringtones you want. Also lets you amplify up to 300 percent. Very nice.
    I was just about to ask what programs are out there mac/pc to edit the MP3's. Mainly to shorten them up some.

Thanks!