Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    So today I got depressed seeing all these posts about peoples batteries suddenly "kicking in" and lasting longer than ever. Like most here, I got my pre the day it came out and can only say the one downside has been battery longevity. Other than that, I LOVE this device.

That said, ny question to you all is this -- how much battery would be burned given the following usage: thirty minutes talk time, medium to slightly heavy web browsing...nothing else. (I kept track of the battery for an hour and a half and I went from 45% to 10% during that time).

What would your battery level be after that amount of use over that time period?

For reference: email synced to gmail and exchange set to push as items arrive, all location services off, bluetooth off, set to sprint only, wifi on, lowest brightness
    Look you get 4 - 5 hours of talk time on the device. More like 4 hours real world. So when you are using the device for an hour and a half browsing and such you also have the screen, touch screen (you touching it), processor etc working that much harder meaning you are going to see less time doing such things than just chatting.

So you should get the picture. An hour and a half of very heavy usage, which is what you are describing and losing around 35% isn't that bad IMO.

Now that the newness has worn off my Pre lasts about as long as my Iphone. Maybe a little less but its hard to say because I play with it a hell of a lot more than I did my Iphone.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Look you get 4 - 5 hours of talk time on the device. More like 4 hours real world. So when you are using the device for an hour and a half browsing and such you also have the screen, touch screen (you touching it), processor etc working that much harder meaning you are going to see less time doing such things than just chatting.

So you should get the picture. An hour and a half of very heavy usage, which is what you are describing and losing around 35% isn't that bad IMO.

Now that the newness has worn off my Pre lasts about as long as my Iphone. Maybe a little less but its hard to say because I play with it a hell of a lot more than I did my Iphone.
    trust me, I prefaced saying it was slightly less than heavy use. Howe er, perfect example, I went from 10% to 6% from wheb I started the OP to when it ended. I want to say my battery is ****tier than most?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook_em View Post
    trust me, I prefaced saying it was slightly less than heavy use. Howe er, perfect example, I went from 10% to 6% from wheb I started the OP to when it ended. I want to say my battery is ****tier than most?
    When it gets that low I wouldn't trust it exactly. I know that most devices I' have used seem to drain faster the lower it got. This was especially true on my Iphone but it was even more difficult on that device since you didn't get a digital read out showing the exact %.

I also wouldn't run it that low. Pick yourself up an extra charger because you will tear up your battery running to near empty all the time.

Also depending on your email settings that is a huge drain, so is IM but I haven't noticed much difference with GPS being enabled.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Can you confirm running a battery close to empty will ruin it? Can anyone confirm this?
    No, it won't, but it's better to have it on the charger than let it continuously drain all the way.
    Can you confirm running a battery close to empty will ruin it? Can anyone confirm this?

The manual says "The battery has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently than when charged after being fully drained."
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm curious to see what other people would be it in terms of battery after a similar "test".

Once again, I believe (based on reading other posts) I have close to the most optimal settings in terms of preserving battery longevity:

--lowest brightness
    --wi fi on
    --sprint only (although this has not been thoroughly tested next to the 'roaming' option
    --data roaming disabled
    --blue tooth disabled
    --all location services off (yes, including GPS)
    --e-mail set to push
    I'm curious to see what other people would be it in terms of battery after a similar "test".

Once again, I believe (based on reading other posts) I have close to the most optimal settings in terms of preserving battery longevity:

--lowest brightness
    --wi fi on
    --sprint only (although this has not been thoroughly tested next to the 'roaming' option
    --data roaming disabled
    --blue tooth disabled
    --all location services off (yes, including GPS)
    --e-mail set to push

Just for fun take off push and set it to like 2 hours or something similar. See how that works for you. I found a nice boost from taking push off.

When I first got the phone I was a little disappointed with the battery. I started documenting my usage and realize just how much time I was putting on the browser and other functions and matched it with my Iphone (i had both for 4 days) and found the battery drain to be nearly identical for both units under the same conditions.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    That's certainly worth a try. Push e-mail is fantastic on the Pre, as we all have seen, but I would gladly sacrifice it to give myself more longevity out of the device.

On a side note -- I let the battery die just so I can give it a full, constant charge up to 100% and then, per your recommendation, I will leave it on the touchstone as often as possible -- how long do I have to let it charge before it lets me power the device back on?

I would assume I have more than 0% battery (it's been charging for 5 minutes), but I still cannot power up the device. All I see is the battery charging image. Does the Pre not even power up until it has a specific battery level?
    I think a battery test should be done with exactly same procedure, and the time of the running also should be long enough to get reasonable discharging rate, while not overly long.

so, everybody can try

1: lowest screen brightness
    2. wifi/bt off
    3. play music (mp3) for 2 hours (prediction: 90%)
    4. browsing for 1 hour, none stop, go through maybe 15 moderate websites, such as major newspaper websites. (75%)
    5. manually check email 5 times in a time span of 5 hours. (70%)
    6. streaming online radio for one hour. (40-45%)

report back battery status after all above......

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Yes, actually running today's Lithium ion batteries to their lower end before recharging, will cause the cells to begin failing earlier than they would had you make a habit of "topping it off" during the day. I'm sure you'll find documentation all over the net if you look.

And if your batteries are 10 days old yet, you probably aren't at the full battery capacity yet-it will increase.

Having said all that--you could have a bad battery, in which all the cells can't charge because of bad ones "in series". You could have it tested at the store. (Don't bother until you have 10 days on the batteries.)
    That's certainly worth a try. Push e-mail is fantastic on the Pre, as we all have seen, but I would gladly sacrifice it to give myself more longevity out of the device.

On a side note -- I let the battery die just so I can give it a full, constant charge up to 100% and then, per your recommendation, I will leave it on the touchstone as often as possible -- how long do I have to let it charge before it lets me power the device back on?

I would assume I have more than 0% battery (it's been charging for 5 minutes), but I still cannot power up the device. All I see is the battery charging image. Does the Pre not even power up until it has a specific battery level?

I'm not sure on the last part there. I do know that the touchstone charges about 40-50% slower than direct connection so it may take a little bit longer since you are close to 0. If you want to get it powered up faster you could direct connect it for now just to get it powered up faster.

I do know one thing, resetting the device seems to take a lot of juice. When I was messing with software on the phone I had to do a few resets and I noticed that the battery drained pretty quickly for whatever reason. That may be why the phone won't turn on unless you are at 15 or 20%. Just a total guess on my part I don't know for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by oron50 View Post
    Yes, actually running today's Lithium ion batteries to their lower end before recharging, will cause the cells to begin failing earlier than they would had you make a habit of "topping it off" during the day. I'm sure you'll find documentation all over the net if you look.
    thats not entirely true.

Yes drain the battery to empty will damage the battery.

However, modern devices and battery have built-in protection that the "drain to empty" situation will never happen, the device will shut down long before entering dangerous status.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Useful information here.

Aridon -- I too noticed that restarting the device does in fact drain a good 3-5% of the juice (on average).

Oron50 -- don't you think that if I took the phone in, say in two weeks (if battery issues were not resolved), they would just tell me that the batteries on the device are not that great to begin with, and that nothing could be done? Or can they hook it up to voltage meter to confirm not all of my cells are charging properly?

Clevin -- perhaps we should start a new thread dedicated specifically for testing the features you listed...it would be interesting to see what sort of numbers everyone was getting
    Hook you can do a ##debug# on your dial pad and see the voltage on the battery. Mine shows 4196mv on the touchstone full charge. Drops from there but you have to close and reopen the phone and do the ##debug# again to see the drop.

If you have a bad cell your numbers should look a lot lower.
    So this weekend I did a test, not really on purpose, but because I was busy as hell.

I charged the phone Fri night while I slept, it was at 100% Sat at 0800 when I woke up.
    BT on
    Wifi on
    Brightness not all the way down, but close.
    78 txt
    read about 40 emails
    exactly 98 minutes of talking.

Didn't get back to a charger until Sunday night around 10:00 p.m. and it was at 52%.

I got mine the day they came out and my battery sucked for 4 or 5 days, but I plugged it in every chance I got. Now it's running great and holding a charge for at least 24 hours with moderate use. I would get alot better standy from my treo 800, but I can't complain.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    See my phone would be close to dead (if not dead) halfway through that 14 hour time period. 50% remaining is amazing after that much activity on the the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by burnettj View Post
    So this weekend I did a test, not really on purpose, but because I was busy as hell.

I charged the phone Fri night while I slept, it was at 100% Sat at 0800 when I woke up.
    BT on
    Wifi on
    Brightness not all the way down, but close.
    78 txt
    read about 40 emails
    exactly 98 minutes of talking.

Didn't get back to a charger until Sunday night around 10:00 p.m. and it was at 52%.

I got mine the day they came out and my battery sucked for 4 or 5 days, but I plugged it in every chance I got. Now it's running great and holding a charge for at least 24 hours with moderate use. I would get alot better standy from my treo 800, but I can't complain.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Ok so ran the ##debug# test, and at about 25% charged (charger plugged in), I did not get over 3860mv. Not sure if that was because I am not at 100%.

Also, took it off the hook and I was mid 3700mv. With a few cards open on both the mv dropped as well (both times, on and off the hook, it fell about 60).

Anything look out of the ordinary?

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Hook you can do a ##debug# on your dial pad and see the voltage on the battery. Mine shows 4196mv on the touchstone full charge. Drops from there but you have to close and reopen the phone and do the ##debug# again to see the drop.

If you have a bad cell your numbers should look a lot lower.
    Ok so ran the ##debug# test, and at about 25% charged (charger plugged in), I did not get over 3860mv. Not sure if that was because I am not at 100%.

Also, took it off the hook and I was mid 3700mv. With a few cards open on both the mv dropped as well (both times, on and off the hook, it fell about 60).

Anything look out of the ordinary?
    Have to wait for it to be full then check the numbers.