Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Just to throw another 2 cents into the raging inferno of debate here:

Went to my Sprint Store to buy a car charger today (work out of my car 4 days out of the week and battery has been dying too quickly). The rep unpackaged it for me and reminded me that there was a 1 year warranty, and that if i needed to replace it to make sure the packaging said it was for a Palm Pre and that this was important.

I had already paid for the charger, so it's not like she was trying to sell me one instead of having me go get a cheaper generic alternative. This was a stark contrast to getting a car charger for my Touch Pro from the same store 8 months ago, where they sold me a generic charger for any device with a micro USB port. This charger connector was differently shaped than my Touch Pro's slot, so i dubiously took it back in the store but they told me it'd work just fine (and it did).

Soooo... with that said, I took her advice seriously (she looked pretty damn serious... i neglected to ask her the reason why).

Granted, all this means is that Sprint Corporate Store reps have been instructed to make sure customers only buy/exchange official Pre gear because of technical reasons which might/might not be true. However, it gave me enough pause to not want to slap a Centro battery into a device i threw some serious dough down on.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Palm says don't use Centro batteries because they are different. Sprint says don't use Centro batteries because they are different. Seidio (a reputable replacement battery maker) says don't use Centro batteries because they are different. Some engineers on this message board have said the batteries could be different because of heat dissipation and current draw issues.

And yet their are people here that will tell you that the batteries are identical and they will work fine for you because they have seemingly worked fine for them for all of a week. That's like the guy who tells you it's definitely safe for you to cross a busy street without looking because they've done in twice already.
    And what do almost all those have in common?? Oh yeah, they all wanna sell you (especially you Palm users before the Pre) more accessories.

Im not believing ***** until someone sees some kind of ill effects from using these batteries in the Pres. Dont be so gullible.
    just so you all know the pre battery is different in the sense that it does have a chip in it telling the pre and probably the touch stone that it is an official pre battery. thats the only difference sprint folk told me they learned that in their training.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I ran as many apps as I could including YouTube at the same time to see if I could overheat or overwork the battery and I could not. I ran the battery down to 5% before removing it to charge it externally. The battery was not hot, my Pre did not melt or explode.
    I finally got the real answer today from Sprint about the difference between the Centro and Pre batteries. Hopefully this really is the real answer. If you don't want to switch over to another thread, the reason is sleep mode, Centro battery can't put the Pre in sleep mode and the Pre battery can.

I did start a new thread telling the whole story.

The title is: "Found out Real Reason from Sprint why Centro battery won't work on the Pre!"

For some reason I can't put a link to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I finally got the real answer today from Sprint about the difference between the Centro and Pre batteries. Hopefully this really is the real answer. If you don't want to switch over to another thread, the reason is sleep mode, Centro battery can't put the Pre in sleep mode and the Pre battery can.

I did start a new thread telling the whole story.

The title is: "Found out Real Reason from Sprint why Centro battery won't work on the Pre!"

For some reason I can't put a link to it.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-work-pre.html
    No offense, but I don't buy a word of it. WTF would be the point of making the battery identical in shape, size, etc if it wasn't the same battery? Like a previous poster said, they could have added a tiny plastic notch and the batteries would then qualify as different. Frankly, I don't believe any of this BS. Sprint also told me that you could only use the Pre branded car charger. Yet, I picked up a new LG phone for my wife the same day and he asked me if I wanted a car charger for that. I said no and he proceeded to tell me that it would work for both phones. I thought you could only use the Pre branded charger, I asked him. He had no answer. He was caught.

Oh, and FWIW, the wall outlet charger that came with my wife's phone works just fine with the Pre. I use the one that came with my Pre at work, and use my wife's LG charger at home. Different batteries my @$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    just so you all know the pre battery is different in the sense that it does have a chip in it telling the pre and probably the touch stone that it is an official pre battery. thats the only difference sprint folk told me they learned that in their training.
    Again, BS! If there was some kind of special chip that differentiates the Pre battery from the Centro battery, the Pre should be able to detect it, warn you that you are not using a Pre battery, and shut itself down. Or just not turn on at all.

If you are going to go to all this work to create a different battery with different circuitry, why again wouldn't you slightly change the shape of the battery so it doesn't fit in anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post
    No offense, but I don't buy a word of it. WTF would be the point of making the battery identical in shape, size, etc if it wasn't the same battery? Like a previous poster said, they could have added a tiny plastic notch and the batteries would then qualify as different. Frankly, I don't believe any of this BS. Sprint also told me that you could only use the Pre branded car charger. Yet, I picked up a new LG phone for my wife the same day and he asked me if I wanted a car charger for that. I said no and he proceeded to tell me that it would work for both phones. I thought you could only use the Pre branded charger, I asked him. He had no answer. He was caught.

Oh, and FWIW, the wall outlet charger that came with my wife's phone works just fine with the Pre. I use the one that came with my Pre at work, and use my wife's LG charger at home. Different batteries my @$$.
    You know each Sprint store is different. Some of the help are not great and don't know what they are talking about. The store I go to has never mislead me. I got my first phone there 10 1/2 years ago.

As I said before, don't take my word or anyone else's. Why would you. I just reported what I was told and saw. I'd feel terrible if I knew something and didn't try to warn others. All you have to do is call Sprint or Palm and ask them why you can't use the Centro battery or USB cables, etc, and what type of harm will it cause.

Do I think they shouldn't of made the Centro battery the exact same size and fit, of course I do.

I also think they should put out something on their sites to explain these problems. That is what I told the Manager at the Sprint Owned store.

If you want to use the Centro, go ahead, it is your phone. Make your own judgement. But, wouldn't want a little more information before you really start using it, and then find out it may harm your phone.
    No worries. We all appreciate the info / heads up. I'm just stating the obvious conclusions we can come to, and I'm willing to bet that once someone really tears apart a Pre battery, we're going to find that they are the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    I ran as many apps as I could including YouTube at the same time to see if I could overheat or overwork the battery and I could not. I ran the battery down to 5% before removing it to charge it externally. The battery was not hot, my Pre did not melt or explode.
    Thanks for doing the test for us. I feel much better now. I think that if in the next few months no one reports a major catastrophe from using their Centro battery, then I might commission mine as a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post

In all fairness, SOME 3rd party chargers DO NO WORK with the Pre. The only way to guarantee a charger will work with the Pre without plugging it in and trying it is to get a Pre branded charger. I went by Radioshack to get a car charger, assuming any microUSB charger would work, and the only one they had DID NOT work with the Pre. Whoever you talked to may not have stated it eloquently, and may have instead mistakenly said that only Pre-branded chargers would work, and this is not true. But it IS true that not all 3rd party chargers work, and the only way to guarantee a working charger is to get a Pre-branded one.
    I just talked to a Sprint online rep...and they said this in regards to this debate:

Thank you for your patience. I see that the centro has the same kind of battery that the pre uses so yes you will be able to use this battery as well.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andddlay View Post
    I just talked to a Sprint online rep...and they said this in regards to this debate:

Thank you for your patience. I see that the centro has the same kind of battery that the pre uses so yes you will be able to use this battery as well.
    This uninformed person could soon become an unemployed person.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    This uninformed person could soon become an unemployed person.
    +1 LOL this is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    In all fairness, SOME 3rd party chargers DO NO WORK with the Pre.
    This is starting to get off topic as there is at least one other thread about chargers, but I had to add.

Not all Palm branded chargers work with the Pre even though their website says they do. I had the Palm carcharger with the detachable 2.5 ft USB cable and it did not work, I'm not the only one either. Read more Here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-charger.html
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    Quoted for truth. Centro batteries are absolutely identical. I defy anyone who thinks otherwise to prove me wrong using something other then anecdotal evidence and scare tactics.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I bought 2 centro batteries and a charger on ebay, I'll charge battiers in centro charger. I have 2 PRE batteries, but I've been killing things to make them work through out the day. 2 of each will let me get full PRE experience
    A battery dissection would be able to to tell us if the similarities continue beneath the surface. Does the Pre battery have the claimed chip inside? Does the Centro a chip of itls own?

I can't afford to sacrifice any of my batteries, but I can offer $10 toward the purchase of Pre battery. Could we somehow do that?
    any follow up centro batteries? who is using them, any problems?
    I've been rotating Centro batteries in and out. No problem.
    I am now however, charging the Centro batteries in the Centro only because of this thread.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast