Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    The world must be turning upside down.

I have to admit, a few silly thoughts have been running through my head about switching to the Iphone. Honestly, I think all the negativity on this site lead me to these thoughts. I have had a perfect Pre since launch, but after coming here and reading about problems and negative complaints. I started thinking maybe I would just make the switch to the Iphone. Sheepish, I know.

So, I started my quest to learn about this new Iphone. I have never really played with the Iphone, so I went to Best Buy to give the current model a whirl. The only thing I found better about the Iphone was of course the apps and the number of accessories available. But my lust for the Iphone was still there, some of it still being sheepish, but I really do like all the accessories. Mostly because I am a jogger and there were like 12 different arm bands for the Iphone,lol.

Well, I start talking to one of the Best Buy Mobile people. I asked her about the upcoming iphone release and about the Palm Pre "acting as if I didn't have one" I wanted her perspective. She said that they did not have any Pre's in and that they were all gone as soon as they would get a shipment. I asked her if any of them had been returned, she looked at me as if I was stupid and said NO we have not had any returns. This is a large Best Buy and it received more Pre's than any of the others in my state on launch day. So, I thought that was pretty good news. While I am speaking with her a guy comes up looking at Pre accessories. Low and behold he has the Iphone and the Pre in his hands. I ask him what he thinks about both devices. He begins telling me how much he loves the Pre and how it is his choice over his jail broken Iphone, which is already running os 3.0 with video. He was going to give the Iphone to his wife and keep the Pre.

So, I come home and joined the Iphone forums to get some more opinions. I ask there opinion and read prior post. I swear it felt like I found more good overall opinions on the Pre in everythingicafe than I do on Precentral. I even asked there opinions. They tell me to keep the Pre and how good it is. Here is proof. Considering Switching to Iphone! Please Help! - iPhone Forums

Anyways, Pigs must be flying!!! I am sorry for the long thread. I just thought it might help some of the others that have had sheepish tendencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post

So, I come home and joined the Iphone forums to get some more opinions. I ask there opinion and read prior post. I swear it felt like I found more good overall opinions on the Pre in everythingicafe than I do on Precentral. I even asked there opinions. They tell me to keep the Pre and how good it is. Here is proof. Considering Switching to Iphone! Please Help! - iPhone Forums
    thanks for the nice write up.

iPhone users are just as smart as us, there are just a fraction of apple fanboys who are either apple stock holder, or just soaked in apple's RDF and can't think by themselves.

I guess mant of those apple fanboys came here?

Anyway, iPhone, or Pre, they are first and foremost, phones. I appreciate the app store of iPhones, but those aren't gonna be as important as a phone as most normal users would care. being able to working on email, web, phone, msg, IM organically, is revolutionary, and IS important for smartphone users.

Palm classic has 30,000 apps, that haven't saved palm from being laughed at for ancient single tasking operations. Not that apps aren't good, its just not the right focus. At least not before they can get the phone part right. Use an iPhone play a 3D game,, kool, and after 2 hrs, the phone is dead, then what......
    wow that's just weird ... it seems like all the apple fanboys decided to take this forum over and forgot about theirs.
    This was a fun and refreshing post to read, I bought a Pre on launch day at a sprint store and have had 0 problems and I suspect there are tens of thousands of other happy campers. We just happen to hear all the winy ones on this site due to if you have problems with a gadget you head to a forum, if you have no problems you just sit and play. Another reason for all the hate is because the Pre is so awesome and some people for whatever reason have to defend their choice of gadget against the next closest thing. Whatever, I'm happy with it.
    Last edited by iamfrontosa; 06/15/2009 at 10:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    wow that's just weird ... it seems like all the apple fanboys decided to take this forum over and forgot about theirs.
    this forum is probably the most prominent palm community, i guess.
    To be honest, if you're having thoughts of the iphone, its a nobrainer to wait and demo the new iphone 3G S. Right now the Pre bests the old iphone 3G at web browsing so its easy to get sucked in.
    Gotta love the guy who said his iPhone gave him the "droopy puppy dog eyes" when he thought about switching to a Pre. Priceless!
    Shadrap dude, you need to take a break from the forums for a while. They are getting in your head

Seriously though, try not to think too much about what other people are saying and go with the phone that bests suits your needs. I'm sure you will be happy either way.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I know one person who switched from the iPhone to the pre mainly because of the whole synergy/cloud sync stuff as well as the smaller size which she liked.

People should try and get whatever works for them
    i just dont think web browsing is such an important issue when considering Pre and iPhone,

they are all wekbkit based, they would has very minimum difference, and they have all the same shortcomings of webkit mobile.

Its basically a comparison between dekstop-level multitasking, synergy, vs. large amount of apps. 3GS doesn't change the situation, with apple's developing strength, the situation won't change for another year. If palm were to pushing out free classic app and be able to deliver more webOS native apps. Apple will only has brand to rely on. Which is probably good enough for it.

Of course, Its more complicated because they are on different carriers.
    This always happens and if you spend even a few days on Iphone forums there is endless complaining there as well. That device has been out for 2 years and has done very well for itself. So will the Pre.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kosh56 View Post
    Shadrap dude, you need to take a break from the forums for a while. They are getting in your head

Seriously though, try not to think too much about what other people are saying and go with the phone that bests suits your needs. I'm sure you will be happy either way.
    That is so true and funny at the same time.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    When things go wrong, even at this early stage, it usually is the dissapointed folks that tend to vocalize more and contribute to such threads on the forums. Folks that are happy really don't have much to post - I know I didn't.

But I do see the tendencies for lots of complaints here - I chalk that up to some very passionate phone users that demand more than casual users and are 'helping' Palm progress the platform further. If it wasn't for them, Palm would churn out the current product like rabbits to make a profit.

So god bless the complainers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Septro View Post
    If it wasn't for them, Palm would churn out the current product like rabbits to make a profit.

So god bless the complainers!
    oh yes, there is really no question about that. There are many valid complaining post here, talking about what palm should have done, or should do, or what Pre is lacking. I believe they are mostly valid.
    It is refreshing to see a post like that, and there is definitely nothing wrong with doing an objective comparison, even if you had ended up chosing the iPhone instead.
    I've been waiting for he PRE since CES. Was at SPrint's door 445am on release day. Just before it was found out that The PRE could synch with ITunes, I bought an ITouch (2nd gen) on Ebay 140 bucks!!!. I love the large screen and the available apps and the fact that it uses Wi-fi is a plus. I use it to surf while siting up in bed...real handy. but I knew about ATT's lack of true 3G network and how lame it was. So an IPhone was not best for me. At this point, my Touch is great for my work out time. But nothing beats the PRE as a fully functioning phone/pda!!!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    fully functional phone/pda? I had to get sprint to send an airave. Never had to before..
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    But nothing beats the PRE as a fully functioning phone/pda!!!!!
    Except the Palm Centro and Palm Pro which unlike the Pre have fully functional PIM software and a lot of third party applications. The Pre definitely has potential but its not fully functional yet.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Interesting he told you he was running iPhone 3G 3.0 with video, because it is impossible to run the first 2 generations with video. Only the iPhone 3Gs is capable of running video.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Palm classic has 30,000 apps, that haven't saved palm from being laughed at for ancient single tasking operations. Not that apps aren't good, its just not the right focus. At least not before they can get the phone part right. Use an iPhone play a 3D game,, kool, and after 2 hrs, the phone is dead, then what......
    It may be laughed at but a lot of people still (including me) use PalmOS devices because of the apps. It still has the best email client on any mobile device and the best third party PIM software
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast