Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Actually in speed tests, the Pre has out done the iPhone every time.
    The old iPhone perhaps. The 3Gs (which the Pre is actually competing with) may be a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzla View Post
    Interesting he told you he was running iPhone 3G 3.0 with video, because it is impossible to run the first 2 generations with video. Only the iPhone 3Gs is capable of running video.
    What do you mean running video? all iphones can play videos...

Actually in speed tests, the Pre has out done the iPhone every time.
    That's great! How about stop comparing Pre to a 1yr old phone, that the PRe doesn't out speed by all that much. How about you compare the Pre to the iPhone 3GS?

Furthermore, speed comparisons between devices using different OS is STUPID!! First of all the Pre should not enter this game, given how unresponsive it was during my 30 minutes playing with in a store recently. It's buggy still...

I suspect there is going to be no speed difference between the 3GS and Pre (again, whatever that means), though the iPhone might be faster because of a much more mature OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    That's the only problem I've had with my Pre since I got it. I'm sure I'll be ridiculed again for having the gall to say it here, but this thing is awesome.
    I don't know about that. I almost never see anyone ridiculed on this site for saying their phone works great. Pretty much all of the responses I've seen fall into the categories of "I'm happy for you" or "I'm jealous!"
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post

That's great! How about stop comparing Pre to a 1yr old phone, that the PRe doesn't out speed by all that much. How about you compare the Pre to the iPhone 3GS?

Furthermore, speed comparisons between devices using different OS is STUPID!! First of all the Pre should not enter this game, given how unresponsive it was during my 30 minutes playing with in a store recently. It's buggy still...

I suspect there is going to be no speed difference between the 3GS and Pre (again, whatever that means), though the iPhone might be faster because of a much more mature OS.
    Wow....

Why shouldn't the Pre be compared to the current model of iPhone that is currently out on a network that touts the speed and reliability of its 3G network again? Oh yeah, cause it apparently causes you to go into a hissy fit.

The differing OS' don't have anything to do with browser speed. The browsers are both built upon the same platform, and it has to do with internal hardware and network. A great processor ain't gonna make the web browser go faster on a worse network.

Lastly, your 30 minutes of playing with a Pre in a store hardly makes you an expert, nor does it really allow you to make accurate assessments and statements. That's why people are allowed to try devices for 30 days.
    Wow....

Why shouldn't the Pre be compared to the current model of iPhone that is currently out on a network that touts the speed and reliability of its 3G network again? Oh yeah, cause it apparently causes you to go into a hissy fit.

The differing OS' don't have anything to do with browser speed. The browsers are both built upon the same platform, and it has to do with internal hardware and network. A great processor ain't gonna make the web browser go faster on a worse network.

Lastly, your 30 minutes of playing with a Pre in a store hardly makes you an expert, nor does it really allow you to make accurate assessments and statements. That's why people are allowed to try devices for 30 days.
    Never said I was an expert. But using a phone in a store for even 1 minute DOES let you know whether or not the UI is laggy or unresponsive. This was my only comment.

Ok, so Friday the iPhone GS is out, and then you can compare it to it... like it matters... lol. Oooh, my phone is 0.5 faster than your phone! yippee!
    Just to clarify, the Pre's browser is usually 30-40% faster at rendering websites than the iphone 3G. Watch Dieter's videos. Now if you're going to spend 15 min or so doing some browsing, this time all adds up.

From what i hear though, the iphone 3.0 software closes the gap a bit. Factor in the iphone 3G S being on par with the Pre's processor, and it's a new ballgame again for comparisons.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I know iPhone gusy think Pre is cool , and the guys who have a Pre thinks iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread,

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Pre FWIW is a SPRINT customer's iPhone.
    And the form factor makes it even better to carry.

Sure its got a hot battery and a less than perfect keyboard.
    It gets the things done.

Most folks on the forum are expert smart phone users.
    They demand their phone to be perfect.

I have a feeling that all the guys who returned the Pres are probably members of this forum.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Pre is the way to go guys. I got me one and never looked back. I'm loving this phone.
    Never said I was an expert. But using a phone in a store for even 1 minute DOES let you know whether or not the UI is laggy or unresponsive. This was my only comment.
    I disagree. You have no idea what may have been going on during your abbreviated time with the phone in the store.

Yesterday, for about an hour, I couldn't connect to the internet on my phone at all for some reason, and the interface was working a bit slow. That was just for that hour. If I hadn't actually owned the phone for a week and seen how it operated on a regular basis, I might have a different impression of it.

Now, I'm not saying that's what happened in your case, but it is why I get irritated by people who spend a couple of minutes in a store and then come in here posting reviews like they're experts.

I'm actually looking forward to the 3GS coming out later this week. Hopefully the trolls and all the BS will be drawn away.

Ok, so Friday the iPhone GS is out, and then you can compare it to it... like it matters... lol. Oooh, my phone is 0.5 faster than your phone! yippee!
    The floor models in the stores are horrible from what we've seen posted. They have additional apps, and that video loop installed and running on them that really hurt the performance of the phone, and can't compare to the model the advocate had, or the Pre any user bought.

As far as speeds go, yeah, they sound like they are very similar in bringing up web pages, generally no more than a few seconds either way.

Either way, both are good phones in general, and just pick which fits your needs best.

I almost expect a few manufacturing flaws in early runs of any electronic device, so some of the issues that are being seen, while unfortunate, aren't uncommon and should hopefully be corrected as the manufacturing process matures for the device.

Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Pre is the way to go guys. I got me one and never looked back. I'm loving this phone.
    Love my phone, but I'm still keeping an eye on it with an open mind, if some of the issues that I'd expect from the design of the phone stay within what I see as acceptable tolerances I'll keep it, otherwise I may try something else, if it's too close to the 30 day limit to try a replacement phone. I hope I don't have to, because I am enjoying the experience, but in the end it is just a tool, and there are several others available that can work.

Here's my breakdown in what I'm watching for:
    I expect a minor amount of play in the slider mechanism, since it is built to move.

I have no dead pixels, but wouldn't be surprised if I were to find one, but anymore than that I would expect an exchange, since HD TVs often wont allow exchanges for less than 4 dead pixels, since they are almost a given, and this has significantly fewer pixels than an HD TV.

The image distortion, if I had it, would warrant an immediate exchange, if it shows when the device isn't overly hot, since in those circumstances it would be more common for some distortion.

I haven't had the phone get overly hot to the touch, but it has gotten warm when putting a real strain on the device, and charging it, in those instances I expect it to get a little hot, but you should still be able to hold it in your hand, otherwise it goes back, as then it would just be a tiny desktop that has a small monitor, and even smaller keyboard.

The reception issues should be correctable via firmware update, to make it more stable. I have seen it with inconsistent signal reception, though it has been much better than my SLVR was, keeping connected everywhere except for entering into a valley headed down to the Mississippi river, I have seen no other phone, mine or anyone's that would stay connected that far, most lose connection a few miles before the valley.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You clearly know very little about the iPhone. They can all play video and jail broken iPhones can also record video (and multi-task) btw.
    Wasn't speaking about jail broken iPhones. I was speaking about the ones I had, both generations. I wasn't aware that a jail broken iPhone could record video? How is that possible with no video camera?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I meant recording video. Neither of the first two generations could record video.
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzla View Post
    Wasn't speaking about jail broken iPhones. I was speaking about the ones I had, both generations. I wasn't aware that a jail broken iPhone could record video? How is that possible with no video camera?
    In principal its very easy, just keep taking pictures and stitch them together in a video file. In order to maintain a good framerate you would want to be taking low res images. Most cheap digital camera hardware can do this because cheap digtal cameras are based on video camera hardware. That's how the live view mode works, its shooting video but not recording it.

Apple didn't provide the software but on a jailbroken phone you can run any software you like.

BTW Jail broken phones can also multi-task.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123