Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54
  1. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i just dont think web browsing is such an important issue when considering Pre and iPhone,

    they are all wekbkit based, they would has very minimum difference, and they have all the same shortcomings of webkit mobile.

    Its basically a comparison between dekstop-level multitasking, synergy, vs. large amount of apps. 3GS doesn't change the situation, with apple's developing strength, the situation won't change for another year. If palm were to pushing out free classic app and be able to deliver more webOS native apps. Apple will only has brand to rely on. Which is probably good enough for it.

    Of course, Its more complicated because they are on different carriers.
    Actually in speed tests, the Pre has out done the iPhone every time.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzla View Post
    Interesting he told you he was running iPhone 3G 3.0 with video, because it is impossible to run the first 2 generations with video. Only the iPhone 3Gs is capable of running video.
    You clearly know very little about the iPhone. They can all play video and jail broken iPhones can also record video (and multi-task) btw.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    wow that's just weird ... it seems like all the apple fanboys decided to take this forum over and forgot about theirs.
    The most vocal critics of the Pre on this forum appear to be PalmOS "fan grumpy old men". I have seen very few posts from Apple "fan boys". I am not sure why the Pre "fan boys" think that everyone who is not a Pre "fan boy" is an Apple "fan boy" but for some reason they do.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Actually in speed tests, the Pre has out done the iPhone every time.
    that was my point. It's a joy to use the Pre's browser and the speed is the main reason if you're already used to webkit. Going back to iphone is like dialup. Be interesting to see how the new iphone does.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    that was my point. It's a joy to use the Pre's browser and the speed is the main reason if you're already used to webkit. Going back to iphone is like dialup. Be interesting to see how the new iphone does.
    hmmmmnnnnnnnn i thought that the iphone was comparable. but what do i know about speed - i'm a yankee.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Gotta love the guy who said his iPhone gave him the "droopy puppy dog eyes" when he thought about switching to a Pre. Priceless!
    Is there an app. for that? :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  7. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    fully functional phone/pda? I had to get sprint to send an airave. Never had to before..
    Sucks that you are having issues, have you exchanged your unit just to make sure it's not the problem? I'm sure there are a few issues here and there, but I'd be willing to bet the majority (like me) aren't having signal issues.
  8. #28  
    The posts from the "whiners" here (myself included) seem to be 95% about the poor build quality of the Pre, signal strength and the battery life. If Palm had chosen to invest more in quality components and workmanship we wouldn't have most of those complaints and I think these forums would be very positive. I personally am very happy with everything else except those build issues.

    I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the complainers are necessarily negative people, but just a bit understandably disappointed.
  9. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #29  
    I have an iphone 3g and the browser is enhanced in 3.0 and loads sites only a few seconds slower than the Pre over wifi. I seriously wanna keep the Pre, but the iphone 3gS is tugging at me....ugh!
  10. timGSU's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    The posts from the "whiners" here (myself included) seem to be 95% about the poor build quality of the Pre, signal strength and the battery life. If Palm had chosen to invest more in quality components and workmanship we wouldn't have most of those complaints and I think these forums would be very positive. I personally am very happy with everything else except those build issues.

    I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the complainers necessarily negative people, but just a bit understandably disappointed.
    I guess what I'm saying is that the "complainers" are probably 2%, the other 98% like the device....
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The most vocal critics of the Pre on this forum appear to be PalmOS "fan grumpy old men". I have seen very few posts from Apple "fan boys". I am not sure why the Pre "fan boys" think that everyone who is not a Pre "fan boy" is an Apple "fan boy" but for some reason they do.
    wow then you apparently haven't been reading much. I actually like both devices. But when I keep reading reviews from people that don't own the pre and just feed off other posters valid complaints it just seems odd to me how vocal they get. I don't mean to say that all pre haters are apple fan boys. I really only said that comment because of the article.
  12. tostler's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #32  
    Like many people I've been anxiously waiting the Pre since CES. Actually, I've been waiting for a Palm phone to make me forget my Treo 650. I think the Pre is it!

    It's hard to ignore all the negative comments on this board. It seems it’s easier to point out the flaws of the device rather than focus on what we’ve known from CES – that this device is unlike anything on the market, and for a 1.0 device it’s fantastic. And yes, I’ve read virtually every post on this board since it went live.

    Now I say that after only having the Pre for a few hours (I received mine at 10:00am today). It will take a while to grok the fullness of the device, but I can already tell that I will become one with the thing in much the same way I was with my 650. If the hardware is as durable as I hope it is (screen cracking, dead pixels, etc. are a concern). I am certain this thing will be a wonder device. I sorta view this as the WebOS version of the Treo 180, or 600. Can you imagine what will be available in 2 or 3 years?

    Someone build me a time machine! Oh, yea, call me a fanboy if you want. I"m sure it's true.
    Last edited by TOstler; 06/15/2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: truth in advertizing.
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.


    Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
  13. #33  
    I love the Pre, but count me among the frustrated and a little disappointed right now. I'm having trouble with Windows Media Player and items are freakishly disappearing from my Google calendar after sync with the Pre. I figured that I'd get what I asked for by lining up as an early adopter on launch day. I wouldn't return the Pre, but a little part of me wishes I would have given up my early adopter "bragging rights" and waited a bit for some of the kinks to be ironed out. I have always admired the iPhone, but never enough to make me want to give up PalmOS. I can appreciate the objective and constructive dialogue in this forum from both sides of the uber-smartphone fence. (Except maybe from the grumpy dudes )
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by timGSU View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that the "complainers" are probably 2%, the other 98% like the device....
    I hear you, but I disagree. Lot's of people are posting about their problems-- many of them are just one-off posts from people who don't normally post. I'm just guessing of course, but I'd say the percentage of active users of this site who have posted about some issue or another with the Pre is at least ten times what you have guessed. Many, many people have said "me too" on the build quality, battery life and signal quality threads. And just because we complain about real issues doesn't mean we don't like the Pre just as much as you. We just believe that it's best for problems to be out in the open so they can be fixed.
  15. shadrap's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #35  
    I hope all the problems are fixed, but there is no doubt this os/ platform has a bright future.
  16. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #36  
    Just remember to compare apples with apples. If you want an apple, buy an apple. But don't be disappointed in the orange because it's not an apple.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I hear you, but I disagree. Lot's of people are posting about their problems-- many of them are just one-off posts from people who don't normally post. I'm just guessing of course, but I'd say the percentage of active users of this site who have posted about some issue or another with the Pre is at least ten times what you have guessed. Many, many people have said "me too" on the build quality, battery life and signal quality threads. And just because we complain about real issues doesn't mean we don't like the Pre just as much as you. We just believe that it's best for problems to be out in the open so they can be fixed.
    Yeah, but like anything in life, it's all about perspective. I don't deny there are some legitimate issues, but reading a lot of posts here you've got some people (not all) who are just obviously the type that get a new device and start looking for things to complain about. And then they jump on the forum and start spouting off about how they've been screwed over. What might be a "real issue" to one person is trivial to many others. And just reading a lot of these posts, especially from the extremely verbal troll minority, can start making you doubt your own real world experiences.

    First day I had my phone, after a weekend of reading all of the "issues" here and getting a little nervous about my purchase decision, I'm sitting at my desk browsing the web in portrait mode and then turn the Pre sideways to put it in landscape mode and nothing happens - the screen is still in portrait. I go back and forth a couple of times, but still nothing. So, I immediately start to freak out a little, sphincter starts tensing-up and I almost reach for the computer so I can get on the forum. I begin to think maybe these phones ARE lemons after all. And then I realize....wait for it....

    I've got the phone laying flat on my desk.

    That's the only problem I've had with my Pre since I got it. I'm sure I'll be ridiculed again for having the gall to say it here, but this thing is awesome.
  18. shadrap's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    That's the only problem I've had with my Pre since I got it. I'm sure I'll be ridiculed again for having the gall to say it here, but this thing is awesome.
    See that is what is crazy. Why should you be ridiculed on this forum for saying that? Funny thing is you go to an Iphone forum and you get more agreement than ridicule!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    wow then you apparently haven't been reading much. I actually like both devices. But when I keep reading reviews from people that don't own the pre and just feed off other posters valid complaints it just seems odd to me how vocal they get. I don't mean to say that all pre haters are apple fan boys. I really only said that comment because of the article.
    I have been reading a lot. I guy called Gekko has been one of the leading critics of the Pre (and the subject of angry abuse as a result). He was a Centro user, bought the Pre and is now a Centro user again. Just about everyone who is critical of the Pre's PIM apps or email client are former/current PalmOS users. The iPhone doesn't have a decent email client or PIM apps so iPhone users would probably not see the problems. Build quality complaints come from all sides of course.

    I think a lot of Pre fanboys are just obsessed with the iPhone.
  20. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #40  
    Don't really understand why anyone cares about what phones other people use.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions