Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I remember reading this a while ago and was wondering if anyone knows how to activate it? I can't seem to find it...

After describing Palm's "synergy" method of combining contacts and calendars from multiple locations McNamee gets into describing the new stuff:

And when you're late -- get this -- when you're late it -- remember, this things has GPS, it has a clock, and it has your calendar. So it not only knows where you are, it knows where you're supposed to be and when; and so when it realizes you're going to be late, it says "Hey, not only are you going to be late, but I can take care of it for you. I'll send an email to your assistant or to the people in the meeting, which would you prefer? And oh, by the way, here's the map." This is the beginning of a new wave.
    I saw him rave about this feature in this interview on FOX Business back in January. I was wondering if anyone had tried it out as well.
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 06/15/2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added link
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    I have not seen this but I sure would love this.
    I had heard about this too and was going to ask if this thing was still a feature...
    Remember, Palm denied every single word he said the next day.

He was definitely exaggerating about the types of things the technology is capable, and honestly even then I never really expected it to show up in the device.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Well the resources are there... so if anyone wants to write an app for that, I can guarantee it will be a popular one...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Remember, Palm denied every single word he said the next day.
    I remember their denial that every original iPhone user would switch to the Pre, as Roger claimed, but I don't remember the denial of the "know when you're late" feature. Do you have a link by ant chance?
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I was actually just thinking about this!
    neathings - neat·things and apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I remember their denial that every original iPhone user would switch to the Pre, as Roger claimed, but I don't remember the denial of the "know when you're late" feature. Do you have a link by ant chance?
    Aah, you're right, now that I look back. Those were two separate interviews apparently.
    Well, I think Roger saw the Contact meeting attendees feature and assumed it was doing more than it is. When you get a reminder for a meeting that you've been invited to, in addition to dismiss and snooze, there's a third button that says contact meeting attendees. If you hit that button it automatically opens up a new email addressed to the meeting attendees with prepopulated text in the body that says something like "running late, be there as soon as I can." But it does this for any meeting with attendees regardless of location or your proximity to it.
    I'll bet there are all sorts of things being done on Pre at Palm HQ that we've never seen a hint of. Roger might have seen a developer playing with just this kind of functionality. Certainly, the Pre's capable of it, just like he says; it's really just a question of how long it will take for this kind of stuff to be fully fleshed out and reliable enough to release to the market.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If you think about it, a smartphone would have to have a lot of information to tell you if you are running late. It would need to know the GPS coordinates for the location of your appointment. I guess that could be determined when you add the appointment. Then it would have to know what your specific mode of transportation was and the traffic conditions you are experiencing. You are five miles away with 20 minutes left - are you running late? If you are on a bike it may be a problem. Taxi - no problem. Do you have to park your vehicle? Where does the bus or train stop? Are you sitting on a plane that just touched down?

I seem to recall that the claim was that the Pre would even send off an "Sorry, I'm running late SMS or email" to someone for you. What an outlandish claim. No wonder they put a muzzle on him.
    Don't really agree that it's outlandish. Sprint Navi gives an estimated ETA, which constantly adjusts based on various factors (at the least, current speed against predicted speed). So, the Pre could certainly check that ETA against an appointment time and tell you you're likely _right now_ to be late. It could therefore auto-gen an email to the recipients and either send it or pop up an alert for you to confirm.

In addition, you could set it as an option when you create the appointment--you'd likely know if you're driving to the appointment or not. If you aren't, then you simply wouldn't turn the option on.

Seems doable to me. Heck, if I were a developer and Palm gave access to this info, I'd write the darn app myself.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic