Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I just spent 30 seconds trying to position the cursor to change a lower-case t into a capital T. (Please ignore for the moment what this says about my personality.)

My strategy is to use my finger to place the cursor as close as I can to the desired position and then to swipe with the orange key down until the cursor is in the right position. But just as soon as I think I know how to move the cursor one character at a time, my last swipe throws the cursor far away and sometimes even places it on a different line.

All I need is for cursor swiping to be less sensitive. Is there any way to set this? Does anyone have any other tips? Thanks!

PROBLEM SOLVED

I had been trying to move the cursor at one character per swipe, but this is not how it's designed to be done. The user guide says to "drag" your finger. Full instructions:

1. Tap your finger on the screen near where you want the cursor positioned. This just positions the cursor approximately. You'll use the orange button next to position it precisely.
    2. Press and hold the orange button.
    3. Press and hold another finger anywhere on the screen, preferably away from the cursor so you can see the cursor as you're moving it. Don't lift your finger; you're neither "tapping" nor "swiping."
    4. While holding your finger on the screen, slowly drag the finger left and right. The cursor will slowly move left and right, one character at a time, completely under control.
    5. Once you've positioned the cursor where you want it, lift your finger from the screen and your other finger from the orange button (in either order or both at once).

Added tip: If you're still having trouble getting the cursor in the right spot, try releasing the orange button before lifting your finger off the screen. (Tip thanks to treo2die4.)

Thank you SirBC for the tip about positioning your finger away from the cursor so you can see what you're doing.
    Last edited by jtlapp; 06/15/2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added problem solution instructions
    I dont have any tips to offer, all I can say is that I personally have deadpan accuracy with the orange + swipe method.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Yeah, I don't have any problems with the cursor. Palm nailed that one.
    Hmmm... I have problems with it as well. It's either a dexterity problem, or maybe some minute differences in touchscreen sensitivity...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Practice makes perfect... give it some time... I remember when I first got it, it took me some time too. It's still not perfect but lacking arrow keys, it's pretty good.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    It's actually laughable for me. I was just now trying to move the cursor back one character, playing with small swipes, and I was as likely to move it forward a character instead. Honestly, cursor movement is virtually unusable for me on this thing.
    Orange + swipe is how I deal with it. I tap to place it somewhere near where I want to move it, then slide it to the right position.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    It's actually laughable for me. I was just now trying to move the cursor back one character, playing with small swipes, and I was as likely to move it forward a character instead. Honestly, cursor movement is virtually unusable for me on this thing.
    I dont get how its unusable...I literally just grabbed my phone to see if maybe I was overstating my abilities to locate specific letters, jump around, highlight etc. I went to a large block of text, randomly picked a letter in the middle of a word and zipped right to it...seriously, how hard is that?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    You probably already know this but just in case you are not doing it this way, when you swipe you can swipe anywhere on the screen, you don't have to be right on top of the word you are moving through. If you are already doing it that way I'm not sure what the difficulty is.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Playing around with it, I just figured out what I was doing wrong! All this time I've been trying to move at one character per swipe. That's not what it's designed to do.

You're not supposed to swipe so much as position. Press and hold the screen and move your finger slowly back and forth across the screen without lifting.

People must be doing different things without realizing it. Maybe I just assumed I knew how to do it and never actually read any instructions. The manual says to "drag" your finger. I really don't know how I got it so wrong.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I added complete instructions to the OP. I feel like a moron now for not intuiting how you're supposed to move the cursor. Thank you everyone for your help!
    I had trouble until I released the orange button first. Once I did that I can get it in the right spot everytime
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    I had trouble until I released the orange button first. Once I did that I can get it in the right spot everytime
    Okay, thanks, I added that tip to the instructions. I didn't want to make it part of the numbered procedure because it isn't strictly necessary. I also found it awkward to release the orange button first, because that's how I was holding the phone to support the pressure my other finger was putting on the screen. But I can see how it improves accuracy. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Why would anyone rate this thread one star? Isn't that kind of mean?
    Wow, you know. I was about to make a rant about the faulty design of the cursor control. I'm glad I did a search first (like a good poster, especially new, should). I was doing the swipe thing too, and it just wasn't cutting it for me. When sending something with a longer subject line (to twitpic for example), if you move past the screen area with your typing, and you need to edit, it was impossible to go back using swiping. Holding your finger on the screen is exactly what you've got to do. Glad someone figured this out.
    Aye this helps but I prefer Apple's system as it is far faster and slightly easier to get the cursor where you want it. Copy and paste is also easier on the Iphone. Hopefully Palm can streamline some of this.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I actually find the Pre easier. I find it more difficult (especially with smaller text) to be precise when highlighting text on the iPhone because you have to swipe over the text you want to copy; your finger is covering what you want to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    I actually find the Pre easier. I find it more difficult (especially with smaller text) to be precise when highlighting text on the iPhone because you have to swipe over the text you want to copy; your finger is covering what you want to see.
    it pops the text magnified over your finger not sure what you mean or how it could be blocked.. Obviously not everyone will like the same things but the Pre's dydtem could be more precise for sure.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Here's another TIP:

When holding the orange key and sliding your finger to position the cursor, when you get within a few characters of the desired location, roll your finger instead of sliding it, this allows for easier "one character at a time" positioning.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    I can't explain it. I've been having a bear of a time with this, but reading the first post with the directions took care of it for me.

I think I'll go practice my copy and paste now that I can move the cursor with precision. Thanks everyone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast