1.    #1  
    Can anyone confirm how well the Pre works with a Mac? Will it Sync my contacts/iCal? I don't like the idea of having to sync it to Google first, because then if I update something on my Pre it won't be native on my Mac, I would actually have to go look at Google.

My question is: Will the Pre sync calendar back and forth with my mac easily?

Thanks!
    mac works just as well as a pc with the pre
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    With a third party app, The Missing Sync by Mark/Space, it will sync with your Mac.

The Missing Sync for Mobile Smartphones to Mac OS X and Windows

By default, the Pre syncs only with "The Cloud" and not a computer.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    mac works just as well as a pc with the pre
    That doesn't tell me anything. heh
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I have a macbook and everything synced perfectly. Not one single issue.

Edit to say, I am only talking about the first sync where I transfered everything over. I have not done a sync since.
  6.    #6  
    So help me to understand:

I sync my calendar/contacts to palm profile or gmail. What if I add a new contact to the "cloud" on my phone I am guessing it won't auto sync back down to my computer like MobileMe, do I need to plug it back in and manually sync it each time to have that information come back down to my phone.

It's either that or start using Google for cal and contacts, huh?
    Polo, I've been testing out Spanning Sync. It syncs automatically iCal and AddressBook with your Google contacts/calendars. It also doesn't require you to plug into iTunes to sync. It appears to work pretty well and their tech support is great. I emailed them w/a sync issue and they emailed me right back.

There's still quite a few bugs w/syncing between the Pre and Google. Not all of the bugs are Pre bugs... Google has a bit of work to do to get all the kinks out of their API. Check out the Bug list sticky and you'll find them all.
    The Pre will sync with google gmail. iCal and Mac address book will sync with google. You set it in Address book preferences (check sync with google) and create a caldav account for google in iCal.

Google has all the info if you search for it. I mean google gmail support.

I wasn't sure either but it has been working well, despite some bugs.

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...thread.id=1996

I started the above thread at the Palm forum. My fourth post talks of the bug I found.
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/18/2009 at 05:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by polochris View Post
    That doesn't tell me anything. heh
    Well, you really need to do some searching. We are all getting annoyed by the same questions, day after day, hour after hour. The Pre works in the cloud, you don't hook it to a computer (Unless 3rd party used). If you had searched, and spent 2 minutes looking you would have realized that. So, when someone gives you a short answer, its because it has been answered before and doesn't need to be answered again in detail. Search can be your friend...
    It would probably be easiest to do the following.

FWIW, even iPhonies have to do this to SHARE cals between 2 people, and it works just fine for one person as well.

I'm assuming that the address book would work the same way.

We run a couple of our business cals through google, we are all on macs, works fine.

We don't have Prees as yet, but will get them when they arrive in Aus.... :-)

HINT: To get your cal to google in the first place download "spanning sync" and make use of the 15day free period, to upload your ical(s) one time, then remove "spanning sync" using the uninstaller.

Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help

To set up CalDAV support for Google Calendar in Apple's iCal, follow these steps:

Open Apple iCal, go to Preferences and then the Accounts tab.
    Click on the + button to add an account.
    Under Account Information, enter your Google Account username and password.
    Under Server Options, add the following URL:
    https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/...OMAIN.COM/user

Replace 'youremail@domain.com' with your Google Account username.
    Click Add.
    Under the Delegation tab, select the calendars you'd like to add to iCal by checking the boxes next to them. You may need to hit refresh to get the latest list of calendars.
    Add your email address to your Address Book card by selecting Add Email. You'll be prompted to add your email address only if your address is not already in your Address Book.
    You won't be able to invite or email guests to Google Calendar events within iCal if your address is not in your Address Book.

Your Google Calendar will now appear in iCal's list of calendars, and changes you make to your Google Calendar in iCal will be reflected when you sign in to Google Calendar.

Event information will automatically refresh every five minutes. You can change this interval by opening the iCal > Preferences > Accounts menu and selecting a new refresh interval under the 'Refresh calendars' drop-down. Keep in mind you can also force a refresh by selecting a calendar and pressing the Apple and R keys at the same time.

Calendars that are checked but disabled have already been added to iCal - you can remove them from within iCal.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by polochris View Post
    What if I add a new contact to the "cloud" on my phone I am guessing it won't auto sync back down to my computer like MobileMe
    No actually its better than mobile me, I have both mobile me & gcal accounts, they are both pretty seamless, ie: they sync back to ical and address book, but gcal is free
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3