Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I own both the iPod touch and the Pre.
    The Pre seems to render pages a little quicker and the double-tap to zoom seems a little quicker as well.

However, scrolling on the Pre seems to fall short of the iPod here. The Pre seems a little more jittery. It's like playing a game at 30 FPS(Pre) versus 60 FPS(iPod). It's not bad, just not nearly as smooth. When I flick to scroll on the iPod it feels silky smooth, but the Pre almost seems as though it's struggling.

Does anybody else feel the same way?

Note:I haven't done any browsing via the iPhone so I don't know if it has the same experience as the iPod.
    Id agree with you. Apple has had a few generations to really polish their browser and fine tune its performance and it really shows. Even though the Pre has a more powerful processor it still needs some work in the smoothness department.
    I own both and my main gripe are the apps. I love the apps on my ipod and can't wait for the app cataloge to fill up.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    iPod Touch + Pre user here. Same basic impressions. I go back to my iPod Touch and everything seems more fluid, where as the Pre feels like it has intermittent lag. The browser is not bad, and e-mail is about how you described it-- as if you're seeing half the frames that you do on an iPod when scrolling down through content quickly.

But some of the apps are not so smooth-- particularly the 2 twitter apps. They often are completely sluggish, and I don't know why. Even after a fresh reboot and no other apps running, they'll be choppy as hell. Now, the Pre has more than enough horsepower. Is it WebOS? As yet unoptimized code for those apps?

As for the "Apple's had a few generations to polish it" suggestion, I'm using a first generation touch, and it's buttery smooth, it just feels polished. Of course, Apple is building off an established OS and graphics model, I think, where as Palm is starting from scratch.

(I also notice an interesting contrast between the surfaces of the two devices. Glass on the Touch seems to allow your fingers to glide over the interface much more smoothly, whereas there seems to be more friction between the finger and the screen of the Pre. )
    I have both, and while you're right about the scrolling, everything else about the Pre browser is better. It renders pages that made Safari crash on my touch, and just generally is nicer to use for me.

I'm going to be selling my touch.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I have both here too.

My only complaint is that I keep trying to do the back gesture on the iPod when browsing the web or reading my e-mail.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    The Pre is smartphone and the Touch is a media player. The Pre is constantly using resources to monitor cell connection and the Touch can entirely devote the CPU to the task at hand.

Like comparing a Luxury Sedan vs. a Motorcycle at a drag strip.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Pre + iPhone (disabled) user here. As much as I wanted to make the pre my everything device, it seems to lack in enough places that the disabled iPhone is necessary.

Pre
    - Phone/Messaging/Text
    - Internet on the road

iPhone (no service)
    - Couch internet (bigger screen makes world of difference)
    - Games
    - Camera (the pictures on my pre are a step down)
    - iPod (Pre doesn't bookmark audiobook and podcasts)

In a few updates the pre may eliminate my need for a 2nd device but for now I have to carry both
    I also own the 32gb touch. I think if the Touch is faster it is only because the cpu has only that to run. Remember the touch is also Wi-Fi. I however think the Pre is as fast when it is not running a lot of stuff and that is over EVDO. For me I think it is better. Side by side over Wi-Fi the Pre is better.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    I also own the 32gb touch. I think if the Touch is faster it is only because the cpu has only that to run. Remember the touch is also Wi-Fi. I however think the Pre is as fast when it is not running a lot of stuff and that is over EVDO. For me I think it is better. Side by side over Wi-Fi the Pre is better.
    Somehow I don't think it's a matter of how much CPU an app has at it's disposal. I really think it's just lack of optimization in the OS, because my 1st gen touch has a significantly less powerful CPU than the Pre. Hopefully Palm has the software engineers to get it there in the next several months.
    Quote Originally Posted by kosh56 View Post
    I own both the iPod touch and the Pre.
    The Pre seems to render pages a little quicker and the double-tap to zoom seems a little quicker as well.

However, scrolling on the Pre seems to fall short of the iPod here. The Pre seems a little more jittery. It's like playing a game at 30 FPS(Pre) versus 60 FPS(iPod). It's not bad, just not nearly as smooth. When I flick to scroll on the iPod it feels silky smooth, but the Pre almost seems as though it's struggling.

Does anybody else feel the same way?

Note:I haven't done any browsing via the iPhone so I don't know if it has the same experience as the iPod.
    I have the 1st gen iPhone, and I think the scrolling was smoothed greatly by the updates, and wasn't all that great on 1.0, and browsing also improved a lot through those updates. The Pre has the juice, hopefully they will improve the scrolling.
    I have a 16GB 2nd Gen Touch, and it still has its uses. Specifically for playing music and movies, it's pretty tough to beat. The Pre is adequate for these things, but the bigger screen and more elegant controls on the iPod Touch just makes the whole experience better. Plus, I have twice as much room on my Touch, so it only makes sense to have my media library there and leave my Pre free for whatever stuff I want on an actual phone. The Touch is obviously better for games as well, although this isn't such a big deal to me since I have little interest in gaming on mobile devices anyway.

For everything else though, the Pre is tops. In some ways it actually negates the need for my Touch. For example, when driving in the car, I can now just plus the Pre into the Aux jack and stream Pandora over my car's speakers while driving around, which to me is just as good as listening to my music library. Also, despite the smaller screen and slightly less smooth browsing experience, the web browser on the Pre is superior. Pages render faster and better, and multitasking with other apps is a breeze. I can also use the Sprint Navigation app in my car as a true GPS solution so that I can stop borrowing my wife's Garmin unit.

So in summary, both have their uses. However, I do find myself listening to music and movies less and less on my Touch, and some of those aspects have already been taken over by the Pre as I said. In time, I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually move over to the Pre entirely as my all-in-one solution, especially if they can update the OS to make it smoother and make the media player a bit more robust.
    I just played around with my friends iPod Touch for the first time and was really impressed with the quickness of opening up apps. Is the iPhone this fast?

I do find that my Pre is a lot more intuitive and using the iPod Touch made me appreciate the Pre's gestures and the ability to multi-task so much more. Also, I found myself clicking the center button on the iPod Touch as if I were trying to go into card view.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I was thinking about seling my Touch..but the Pre's screen is too small, and the music player is terrible.

Like eveyone else, the iPod's scrolling is much better but I expect Palm to get better at that.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Got both, running 3.0 on the iPod and yet I still barely use it since I got my Pre.
    I plan on keeping my 1st Gen iPod Touch. The Pre will be fine for everyday use but the Touch will be necessary for longer trips.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    I had a D lo or w/e dock in my car and my ipod.. I synced my pre w/ itunes, then used the aux port on the dock and now i just use my pre. Its sweet.. when I have GPS up it does navigation thru the speakers, it does voice calls thru the speakers, and plays music. I can run my GPS and listen to music at the same time.. It just dims the music slightly and tells u ur directions

Very kick arsh.
    I use my iPod Touch at home. Use the Pre at school/work. They are two great devices but I prefer my Pre a bit more.
    I also own both a jailbroken 16gb ipod touch, and the only thing I want the pre to have that the ipod has is more apps homebrew or app catalog
    I use the Pre exclusively now - so I gave my touch to my mom who just joined the Mac world. She now uses the touch as an "offline pda".

There are a few things I miss about the touch - flawless operation being one. (No animation stutters at all, everything moved like silk) But the Pre just came out. I'm sure with optimizations everything will get better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast