1.    #1  
    I can't seem to figure out even the simplest thing, like adding an alarm to a Calendar event. I looked everywhere, and can't even find an alarm function even in Preference menu. Is adding an alarm not possible?
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I can't seem to figure out even the simplest thing, like adding an alarm to a Calendar event. I looked everywhere, and can't even find an alarm function even in Preference menu. Is adding an alarm not possible?
    It isn't possible. You can set a reminder prior to the event, but not an alarm. The only method for setting an alarm is to use the alarm clock app included in the 1.02 update from Palm, and those alarms aren't directly associated with the calendar.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    It isn't possible. You can set a reminder prior to the event, but not an alarm. The only method for setting an alarm is to use the alarm clock app included in the 1.02 update from Palm, and those alarms aren't directly associated with the calendar.
    No way, unreal! Can't add alarms to a calendar event? I recently updated to version 1.02 and I can't even find the alarm clock app you wrote about. Are you referring to the app called "Clock"? If so, the alarm function seems very simplistic and crude.
    Casey
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    No way, unreal! Can't add alarms to a calendar event? I recently updated to version 1.02 and I can't even find the alarm clock app you wrote about. Are you referring to the app called "Clock"? If so, the alarm function seems very simplistic and crude.
    I have to agree. We should be able to customize the alarm and how often it sounds until you acknowledge it. This seems really basic... especially for Palm.
    hmmm. When you set an appt in Pre's calendar and tap the 'i' to the right of the appt., it gives you editable fields for event location, repeats, and reminder alert. It does beep at me at the set time of the reminder alert (e.g. 15 min befrore appt). If you don't touch it, it will beep again in 5 min - at least that's what I remember. I'll check...
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I have to agree. We should be able to customize the alarm and how often it sounds until you acknowledge it. This seems really basic... especially for Palm.
    Yes, I'm talking about the Clock app. I agree that it is "simplistic and crude." Coming from DateBk6 on Palm OS where I could schedule a task, much less an appointment, with an alarm at 8:38 p.m. (or any other exact time), this is a definite feature downgrade. I love the Pre, though, and I'm learning to live with the limited PIM apps until more robust versions come along.
    Rob Robinson
    Wait, I dont get it...the Calendar does have alarms. You can set an alarm for 5, 10, 15 minutes etc to go off before/at/after the event?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    Wait, I dont get it...the Calendar does have alarms. You can set an alarm for 5, 10, 15 minutes etc to go off before/at/after the event?
    The calendar has reminders, but not alarms. I distinguish the two this way: A reminder can only be set at specific time lengths relative to the event in question; an alarm can be set at any time of day in five-minute increments.

I can only see calendar reminder options for minutes, hours or days *before* an event, not at the time of the event or after.
    Rob Robinson
    Essenitally youre saying that you need alarm increments outside of:
    5, 10, 15, 30, 1hr etc before and in addition you need alarms for an event "start" as well as alarms for after an event? You must have an insane schedule if 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes doesnt cut it for accuracy =)
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    Essenitally youre saying that you need alarm increments outside of:
    5, 10, 15, 30, 1hr etc before and in addition you need alarms for an event "start" as well as alarms for after an event? You must have an insane schedule if 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes doesnt cut it for accuracy =)
    Not exactly. While it would be nice to have other minute-by-minute choices or to select an exact reminder time, I can live without those. I would like to have options such as "2 days, 3 days, 4 days, 1 week and 2 weeks prior."

I don't need to be able to set a reminder after an event, but setting a reminder for the exact event time would be nice. I often use events as task reminders, so that would be handy. It's not a major gripe that that option is lacking, but it is an indication that those of us who have used DateBk6 in the past have been spoiled by its many customizable options.

You mentioned that you thought the calendar allows reminders at the time of the event and after the event, and that hasn't been my experience. I was only noting the discrepancy between your experience and mine, not expecting to be able to have after-the-event reminders. (It would be nice to have customizable snooze time lengths too, though.)
    Rob Robinson
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    Yes, I'm talking about the Clock app. I agree that it is "simplistic and crude." Coming from DateBk6 on Palm OS where I could schedule a task, much less an appointment, with an alarm at 8:38 p.m. (or any other exact time), this is a definite feature downgrade. I love the Pre, though, and I'm learning to live with the limited PIM apps until more robust versions come along.

I too have been using DateBook6 for the past few years on my old 755p, 700p, and 650p. I really appreciate DateBook6 for its advanced functions including alarms. I absolutely love and habitually use the "Float" feature so I don't have to manually advance an item if left un-done. I hope DateBook6 comes out for the Pre. Would buy this instantly!
    Casey
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I too have been using DateBook6 for the past few years on my old 755p, 700p, and 650p. I really appreciate DateBook6 for its advanced functions including alarms. I absolutely love and habitually use the "Float" feature so I don't have to manually advance an item if left un-done. I hope DateBook6 comes out for the Pre. Would buy this instantly!
    I think DateBk6 has set the bar extremely high. It has gotten me hooked on the features you mentioned and on others, features that I didn't even know to look for or to expect when I first started using it. I originally changed to DateBk6 from the native Palm OS apps because I liked the idea of having my calendar and my tasklist available within the same app. Before long, I was relying on all of DateBk6's clever and innovative bells and whistles. I am getting very comfortable with the Pre's PIM apps, but I'm still definitely missing DateBk6 (and Chatteremail, for that matter).
    Rob Robinson
    yeah, sometimes in need 75 or 90 minutes prior, seems really simple too
    ---
    johnny olsen
    photography, digital imaging and web hosting
    http://johnnyolsen.com