Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I received this email today following my return of the Pre on Saturday.

If you are returning the Pre, note that a hard reset might not be enough to totally wipe all info!

I asked him if there was any other data on there, and he said it seemed in 'new' condition, save for keeping me logged into Pandora.

Needless to say, I've changed all my passwords. But still, very scary.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Wow.... Radio Shack Bastards!
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896 View Post

If you are returning the Pre, note that a hard reset might not be enough to totally wipe all info!

I asked him if there was any other data on there, and he said it seemed in 'new' condition, save for keeping me logged into Pandora.

Wow!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896 View Post

so you did a "FULL ERASE" of the device and yet it still kept you log into Pandora? even after this guy activated your old Pre with his new Palm Profile?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I was kind of concerned about this myself. I'm hoping I won't ever have to return mine but if I do I'm thinking it will be mysteriously inoperable

On a related note, who goes to Radio Shack and expects them to know what they're talking about?
    I don't know what you have on your blog page, but my Anti Virus is blocking your site.
    I've had the same thing occur at a Rat Shack with a point and shoot camera.

I was buying the camera for my father and subsequently went home to open it up with him. He knew something was wrong immediately -- there were fingerprints on the lens / iris (thats NEVER a good sign). One of the parts was missing too.

Took it back, they completely denied that it was open box. I'm guessing they sold it to someone else again later that day.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    so you did a "FULL ERASE" of the device and yet it still kept you log into Pandora? even after this guy activated your old Pre with his new Palm Profile?
    Yes. He said that nothing else was still logged in and he downloaded Pandora and it already had a cache (I guess) of my login data.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Might it have something to do with the device being assigned the same network ID on Sprint? When I log into Pandora on another computer it sometimes remembers the user (although probably through cookies which makes this moot).
    1. i wonder if the EAS and profile accounts/passwords remain on the device somehow too?

2. is it possible to view/discover the password for profiles and/or pandora from a Pre account? or are they starred or grayed out and not viewable - and only "saved"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. i wonder if the EAS and profile accounts/passwords remain on the device somehow too?
    If so, it is possible to deauthorize a mobile device from OWA (wipe option is there too, though I understand the Pre won't do this yet).

I suppose if I were going to return a device, I would wipe it via the Palm Profile about 30 seconds after turning it back in, just to be sure.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what's really going on with a "Full Erase" but I had occasion to do a full erase and set up a completely new profile. On one record in my contacts list I had snapped a picture and added it to that record. Later I eliminated my profile, did a "Full Erase" on my Pre, and started from scratch by using the Palm Transfer Utility to transfer my old contact list to my Pre.

This old contact list had never been exposed to the contact with the picture I added. Since I erased the Pre and ported back the old contact list from my laptop, I expected the picture would not be there... BUT IT WAS. The ONLY place the Contacts program could have gotten that image was from some un-erased memory on the Pre itself!

"Full Erase" does not appear to be a true, full erase.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    If so, it is possible to deauthorize a mobile device from OWA (wipe option is there too, though I understand the Pre won't do this yet).

I suppose if I were going to return a device, I would wipe it via the Palm Profile about 30 seconds after turning it back in, just to be sure.
    The Pre doesn't show up in my Palm Profile after the Full Erase. This is coming from somewhere in the local cache on the device itself.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
  14.    #14  
    After all this happened, all I can think is how grateful I am that the Pre Evernote client forces you to login every single time you launch the app. Now *that* would have made me panic!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    wow...
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I'm not sure what's really going on with a "Full Erase" but I had occasion to do a full erase and set up a completely new profile. On one record in my contacts list I had snapped a picture and added it to that record. Later I eliminated my profile, did a "Full Erase" on my Pre, and started from scratch by using the Palm Transfer Utility to transfer my old contact list to my Pre.

This old contact list had never been exposed to the contact with the picture I added. Since I erased the Pre and ported back the old contact list from my laptop, I expected the picture would not be there... BUT IT WAS. The ONLY place the Contacts program could have gotten that image was from some un-erased memory on the Pre itself!

"Full Erase" does not appear to be a true, full erase.
    Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples - on the original contact, was it a "Pre-only" contact, or did you have Exchange enabled?

I have EAS enabled, and my Exchange server set as my default system. When I add a contact photo the Pre, it's actually adding it to the Exchange server, which is as expected.
    Wow. I've already returned one Pre and I assumed that the full erase would actually erase the device. If this happens to business users and word gets out Palm will have a hard time ever selling to businesses again.

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I only synced one account with the device and I've changed the password.
    I returned a Pre to WalMart today and now this has me a little bit worried. I guess I should change my email passwords just in case. Thanks for the heads up.
    wow that's unreal.
    Trying to understand: YOU did a full restore on it before returning it and didn't "sign in" afterward?

They would be very back if so. At least the phone doesn't allow access to the filesystem.
    All phones should be wiped and have the storage space overwrote before selling.

I love recovering files on used equipment I buy. You can almost always find interesting photos.

-edit: Just read the blog and see you did do a full restore.
    Last edited by fr4nk1yn; 06/15/2009 at 10:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast