View Poll Results: Is the lack of Tethering affecting your Palm Pre buying decision?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • NOT purchasing Pre until tethering is enabled.

15 25.00%
  • WILL purchase Pre regardless of Tethering.

42 70.00%
  • Keeping my current phone/plan it already tethers fine.

3 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I want this Poll to show Sprint and Palm that they may be missing sales opportunities to those of us waiting untill tethering will be possible.

I doesnt matter if I have to pay extra for it or not, it is so important to me that I will not purchase a Pre until I can tether to my laptop.

Everything plans should include everything...
    Last edited by migs; 06/16/2009 at 07:59 AM.
    There is no POLL in this thread.
    Your needs and your opinion on whether to buy the Pre.

I, personally, don't have the need for tethering. So I bought one.

I am very happy with my Pre and the experience I had at the local Sprint Store.

YMMV
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Everything plans should include everything...
    So if they re-name it to "almost everything" you'll be happy?

They already give you more than any other provider at the price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    There is no POLL in this thread.
    Oh, and that ^^ too!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm holding off until tethering is available. I'm a long-time Treo/Sprint user, and tethering on my 755p is very useful to me. I don't abuse it, and am pretty certain my data transfer on the phone itself each month is higher than my transfer when tethering my laptop.

I realize Sprint and Palm are free to set their terms of service however they like, and they clearly don't want folks tethering on the Pre. However, if you're going to ask me to pay double the cost for my plan just to use the new phone, at least give me the same features I had on my old phone/plan. To pay twice as much for the new phone is understandable, but to pay twice as much and then have to fork over more money for a data card/mobile broadband plan is too much for me.
    Not important. i already bought mine.

They give me "Everything Data" for the device I signed for, just as promised.
    I dont think you'll be buying a pre then since I can't see them adding tethering to the everything plan. Thats what they have the broadband mobile cards and plans for. Not saying I necessarily agree with that or not but that is how it is.
    Tethering is possible and it does work, but of course, it takes some work:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1679907
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    If that's the case, I'll hold off. Everything comes down in price eventually, and Sprint's exclusive period ending will probably create downward pressure on the prices and increased pressure for plans that include more. That's how these things always work. If Verizon gets the Pre and supports tethering (or officially doesn't support it but looks the other way, the way Sprint currently does for Treo users who tether occasionally) I think Sprint will have to consider offering it to remain competitive.

I'm out of contract with Sprint right now, and my 755p is good enough to get me by. Time (and market conditions) are on my side.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    prochobo: Great news. I'd be concerned about a firmware update that blocks it in the future, especially given that Sprint is now requiring updates to be downloaded. Granted, now that people have root access they could probably block the update notifications, but not having a working phone during the cat-and-mouse game between the hackers and Sprint would be a real bummer.

Still, this is very tempting...
    tethering has been discovered on isyougeekup.com
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Well, I am one of many that tethering is affecting my buying decision of the Palm Pre.

I want this Poll to show Sprint and Palm that they may be missing sales opportunities to those of us waiting untill tethering will be possible.

I have enjoyed tethering with Sprint for a long time and despite what many people think, its hard to abuse because most of the time their is a cap.
    Last edited by migs; 06/16/2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    lol, dude I don't see a poll in this one either.
    Ummm ... not approximately 100,000 of us who already bought our Pre's.

I think your question really is, "is tethering an absolute go/no-go feature for you." Or, "are you leaving Sprint if they stop offering a tethering plan for smartphones?"
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    maybe another option? Already purchased a Pre regardless of tethering?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I just curious if in the long run Sprint would benefit from increased market share if the Tech/Geek crowd that would consider tethering an overall value in their buying decision and choose the Pre over the competition.
    <<merged with dupe thread that had no poll>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    thanks for merging, looks like so far most are voting to buy Pre regardless of tethering..
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    To tether or not to tether never even came up as a question for me. I think I tethered once with my Treo 600 just for the "accomplishment" of using a DUN hack successfully.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast