Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Silly me let my iphone owning friend play around with my Pre. Unfortunately, he dropped it and it now has scratches on the screen. They're not too deep but I notice them. I don't want to return/exhange my Pre because it has been perfect. He offered to pay the insurance co-pay but it really was an accident.

Does anyone know how to buff out these minor scratches? I read about a metal polish called AutoSol. Anyone have any experience with the type of plastic used on the Pre's screen? I'm willing to try but I'm not sure if it will effect the touch sensitivity.

Thanks!
    I've also found that adding a screen protector can actually hide small scratches
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Yeah a have a couple real fine scratches that I really don't know how got there. I was thinking of adding a screen cover to see if that would hide them, but kinda wanted to see if there was a way to remove them as well.
    vegetable or mineral oil and a washcloth buffs out small scratches.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sever007 View Post
    For real?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sever007 View Post
    Actually, it just fills the scratches in. Wash it with soap and water, and they will be back.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    There has to be something out there that can get the scratches out. You can get minor scratches out of a cars paint, then you should be able to get them out of plastic somehow. Has anyone tried that Applesauce polish?
    There are two ways of getting rid of scratches that I know of...

1.) You can get a screen protector from Clear-Coat.com:
    When you put it on, the solution that is used to apply it goes inside the scratches and make them not existent (even the big and deep ones). It is a very good protector and never scratches itself. It is made of the same material that the US airforce uses to protect helicopter rotor blades. It'll stay on for years until you want to take it off (in which case you easily pull it off with nothing left behind). My last phone, HTC Diamond, I had on for almost a year and it could have lasted another 1-2 years! The only bad part is that it's texture at first is almost like the buttons on the Pre, but after about a week or two of use it becomes a nice mooth surface. For a good review of it go HERE

2.) If your really want to get rid of the scratches for good you can try the solution that comes with many CD Scratch Removers. I have a CD scratch repairer that will remove minor scratches on all of my CDs. I used the solution that it uses to do it's magic and after about an hour of non stop rubbing they all went away. You can get some at nearly every best buy but other than that the only other place I know of it the internet.

Hope I help you...
    Last edited by Rennat; 06/15/2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions Rennat. For 13$, I'll give the screen protector a try.

Are they easy to put on? I don't want bubbles.
    I tried option 2 with the disc repair solution from best buy. It appears to have amplified scratches I never knew were there. They appear to glow

Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    There are two ways of getting rid of scratches that I know of...

1.) You can get a screen protector from Clear-Coat.com:
    When you put it on, the solution that is used to apply it goes inside the scratches and make them not existent (even the big and deep ones). It is a very good protector and never scratches itself. It is made of the same material that the US airforce uses to protect helicopter rotor blades. It'll stay on for years until you want to take it off (in which case you easily pull it off with nothing left behind). My last phone, HTC Diamond, I had on for almost a year and it could have lasted another 1-2 years! The only bad part is that it's texture at first is almost like the buttons on the Pre, but after about a week or two of use it becomes a nice mooth surface. For a good review of it go HERE

2.) If your really want to get rid of the scratches for good you can try the solution that comes with many CD Scratch Removers. I have a CD scratch repairer that will remove minor scratches on all of my CDs. I used the solution that it uses to do it's magic and after about an hour of non stop rubbing they all went away. You can get some at nearly every best buy but other than that the only other place I know of it the internet.

Hope I help you...
    Skinobi makes a kick **** screen protector that made my scratches disappear. expensive, but lifetime replacements!
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    I used to get scratches out of the plastic display lenses of HP calculators by rubbing with toothpaste. Regular toothpaste is calcium carbonate (basically it's finely ground up chalk) which is a mild abrasive. Note: Gel toothpastes (the ones that are translucent) won't help since they have no calcuim carbonate. You need to use your basic cheap white toothpaste. Put a small dab on and rub with your finger. As it dries add a drop of water. The average depth scratches will come out of plastic in about 5 minutes of rubbing. Be sure to try it on a non-display area of the Pre first just to make sure. Also, since the Pre is touch sensitive, I don't know how abrading the surface will affect that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    Skinobi makes a kick **** screen protector that made my scratches disappear. expensive, but lifetime replacements!
    I tried the Skinobi on my gf's Samsung Transform and it was easily the best screen protector I've ever used. Hmm I didn't realize that is makes scratches disappear as well.
    Skinomi, sorry lol.