1.    #1  
    Tethering has been solved and you can find out how to do this on the Pre at:

isyougeekedup.com
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Tethering has been solved and you can find out how to do this on the Pre at:

isyougeekedup.com
    Theres already a thread on this forum. But thanks
    These are not practical ways of tethering. It is not like previous hacks for the Treo where you just loaded a hacked phoneinterfacelibrary.prc restarted and were good to go. And as one person commented about this hack:

Joe 06.15.09 at 2:01 pm
    Itís neat, but not a Ďrealí solution for many due to the fact you need to reconfigure each application on the PC you want to run to go through the SOCKS proxy.

Donít get me wrong, Iím very appreciative, and itíd definitely do in an emergency, but Iím hoping for something cleaner in the future.
    All I need it for is to browse the web so for me it will work for now. When something more along the lines of DUN or PAM comes along it will be even better. But, for now this works!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I wouldn't call this "solved". Maybe in a very technical sense it is but that's not a viable solution for most people.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    ...but it is the very beginning. If people are able to do these cool things without the SDK, wait 'til it finally gets released (and I hope that is VERY SOON!!!).
    Today, I paired my Pre to my MacPro for the first time and a "Bluetooth PAN" option was automatically created in the Network Preferences Pane. The first time I tried to connect to the Pre's PAN network, I got the familiar warning message on the Pre stating that this was not aloud, blah, blah, blah.. and I could not connect to the internet. Strangely, I did get an IP address.

I disconnected, and tried connecting again. This time, I did not get the error. I tried to pull up a website, and low and behold, IT WORKED! I am now able to access the internet and all other services (IM, Email, FTP, etc.) on my MacPro while solely connected to the internet through my Pre via Bluetooth PAN! I have connected several times with no issues whatsoever.

It appears that bluetooth tethering JUST WORKS on a Mac. Needles to say, I am ecstatic!

Has anyone else had success tethering with a Mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by sethpcs View Post
    Today, I paired my Pre to my MacPro for the first time and a "Bluetooth PAN" option was automatically created in the Network Preferences Pane. The first time I tried to connect to the Pre's PAN network, I got the familiar warning message on the Pre stating that this was not aloud, blah, blah, blah.. and I could not connect to the internet. Strangely, I did get an IP address.

I disconnected, and tried connecting again. This time, I did not get the error. I tried to pull up a website, and low and behold, IT WORKED! I am now able to access the internet and all other services (IM, Email, FTP, etc.) on my MacPro while solely connected to the internet through my Pre via Bluetooth PAN! I have connected several times with no issues whatsoever.

It appears that bluetooth tethering JUST WORKS on a Mac. Needles to say, I am ecstatic!

Lol, can someone confirm this? It's too good to be true. My macbook pro is at home, I'll definitely try this after work...
    I have attached a screeshot of my Pre's Bluetooth preferences page while I am tethering with my MacPro (named Orochi).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Confirmed. [Edit:See next post ] Took two minutes! Thanks sethpcs. Posted from my Macbook via BT tethering on the Pre.
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/16/2009 at 01:48 PM.
    I have attached a screeshot of my Pre's Bluetooth preferences page while I am tethering with my MacPro (named Orochi).
    You're actually tethering through the Pre's WiFi connection.

Turn off WiFi, and watch it stop working.

I was misled by this as well.
    I do have wifi on the pre, but only because I get no evdo in my apartment. I figured since I turned off wifi on the Mac I was good to go.
    I don't consider this a solution either. Configuring each app for SOCKS? So then when I wanna use my own wifi I have to change it back over again yea? No thanks.

And on the major minus side.... World of Warcraft isn't SOCKS configurable (i think)
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Damn, you're right. I could have sworn that the WiFi was off, but apparently not. I thought it was too good to be true...and it apparently is.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    You're actually tethering through the Pre's WiFi connection.

Turn off WiFi, and watch it stop working.

I was misled by this as well.
    You're correct of course. Thanks anyway sethpcs.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

I CAN CONFIRM THIS!! I simply set up a BT connection to my Mac, and then from the Mac, disabled my WiFI, and connected to the Pre using the network option, and boom, I am posting this via my PRE - NO HACKS NEEDED!!!

EDIT: I am an A$$!! I should have read though the thread more...my WiFI on the Pre was indeed still on. When I turned it off, I got the standard error.
    Last edited by gjlowe; 06/22/2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: I am stupid