Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pre data tethering is a go, Sprint be damned

Well, that was fast. Just a couples hours after we noted Palm warning against hacking webOS to allow data tethering on the Pre, the first set of instructions has popped up. It's not the cleanest hack we've ever seen -- you need to root your phone, enable SSH, and then configure your browser to run through a SOCKS proxy -- but it'll certainly get the job done in a pinch. Just don't go crazy, alright? We've got a feeling Sprint's watching Pre accounts with an eagle eye.

If only I had any experience with linux, and was fearless enough to root my phone and whatnow.
    Beat me to it.......
    guess I need to do homework on linux now. Great to hear!
  4. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    pimpin pimpin
    i wonder if once enabled it can be disabled through future updates
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Any word on how to do it using OS X?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Pre data tethering is a go, Sprint be damned

Well, that was fast. Just a couples hours after we noted Palm warning against hacking webOS to allow data tethering on the Pre, the first set of instructions has popped up. It's not the cleanest hack we've ever seen -- you need to root your phone, enable SSH, and then configure your browser to run through a SOCKS proxy -- but it'll certainly get the job done in a pinch. Just don't go crazy, alright? We've got a feeling Sprint's watching Pre accounts with an eagle eye.

If only I had any experience with linux, and was fearless enough to root my phone and whatnow.

Sounds kinda complicated for a newby like myself. And I have read that it is against Sprint's Terms of Service Agreements. I wonder if/what they would ever do about someone hacking their phone and using it for tethering?
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    pimpin pimpin
    i wonder if once enabled it can be disabled through future updates
    I am willing to bet that a ROM update comes out that disables it and I bet we start reading about Sprint terminating the contracts of some people that use it.

I still don't understand why Sprint doesn't offer it with an additional fee. I think most people would pay it, rather than go through the hassle of a script change.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Would absolutely pay it.
    Yep, Sprint be damned! I mean, it's only their network we're using, and we did agree to use it according to their terms of service. But hey, what are the agreements we sign worth when they go against some whim of ours? As long as we can get away with breaking 'em, eh? That's really all that seems to matter nowadays.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I'm not going to assume that lack of data tethering at Pre launch is 100% Sprint's doing. Example Sprint lets our corporate blackberry phones tether for free, whereas Verizon wants $15/month per line for it. I realize its *probably* Sprint's wish since they want to sell data cards, but who's to say if Palm didn't want tethering off at first to avoid even more complaints about battery life?

The fact Sprint doesn't just even make tethering available for an additional monthly fee makes me wonder if *maybe* this is about more than just profit motive.

Example maybe its part of a "feature trickle" rollout plan -- you know releasing enhancements on a regular basis to make it appear like new perks are constantly coming out. Anything's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I am willing to bet that a ROM update comes out that disables it and I bet we start reading about Sprint terminating the contracts of some people that use it.
    I doubt this will happen unless people start using their Pre as their primary internet connection and Sprint notices a large amount of data usage. People tether all the time on other smartphones without having PAM as an addon on their accounts yet Sprint does not terminate their accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    People tether all the time on other smartphones without having PAM as an addon on their accounts yet Sprint does not terminate their accounts.
    egg-effing-zackly. i've dealt with both Sprint and Verizon extensively for our accounts at work -- Verizon have been nazi's about terminating accounts for violations of TOS (i.e. one guy that surpassed the 5gb monthly cap and they axed the account), whereas Sprint hasn't really cared *what* we've done with data or how much we've used. I could be wrong but I get nowhere near the same neg vibe from Sprint as I do from dealing with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'll give one gold star to the person who puts an how-to video on youtube.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post

I still don't understand why Sprint doesn't offer it with an additional fee. I think most people would pay it, rather than go through the hassle of a script change.
    Just like they are terminating the contracts of all the people on WM who have been doing this for years now?

Not a chance. Sprint wont make it easy to do, but unless you are burning through a ton of roaming data or doing something else that directly costs them more money then you pay each month they wont make a peep.
    2 comments:

1. This "breakthrough" might convince Sprint to make tethering available for a fee. (Or accelerate the process if it was already in the pipeline.)

2. Show of hands - does anyone here know of anyone who has been penalized by Sprint for unauthorized tethering?
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Just like they are terminating the contracts of all the people on WM who have been doing this for years now?

Not a chance. Sprint wont make it easy to do, but unless you are burning through a ton of roaming data or doing something else that directly costs them more money then you pay each month they wont make a peep.
    You're correct. They certainly haven't been shutting off people on other phones doing it.

The way I am looking at it, is Sprint was so adamant about no tethering, and even had Palm contact the WebOS wiki development group to shutdown the section on tethering. I thought they would get real tough with it. You did see the WebOS wiki group shut that section down correct?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    2 comments:
    2. Show of hands - does anyone here know of anyone who has been penalized by Sprint for unauthorized tethering?
    I can't give you names, but my son-in-law worked for Sprint for about a year (and his wife, my daughter, worked for them for 3 years after he left the company). Tethering was a big issue when he was working for Sprint. He said that they had cut customers for tethering, but in every case these were users that were using large amounts of data, in some instances folks were actually running servers using tethered devices.

He said that they do have software that monitors this (you can verify that by looking at your bill, they show how much data you've transferred), but gave me a pretty clear indication that they will likely look the other way unless the use becomes excessive (keep in mind, this was about 4 years ago).
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ...they had cut customers for tethering, but in every case these were users that were using large amounts of data, in some instances folks were actually running servers using tethered devices.
    That's sort of what I would have expected... I'm a "light to moderate tetherer" on my 755p but when I need it I really need it so I'm waiting for a user-friendly program (equivalent to USBModem or PDANet) before moving over to the Pre. Or if Sprint would just charge me an extra $15 a month and limit me to say 5 GB, I'd be totally fine with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by aspbsecs View Post
    I'll give one gold star to the person who puts an how-to video on youtube.

Wiki with download links
    All I can say is that the dev group better get something going where they can block these auto-updates from Palm before they rain on the tethering parade.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast