Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    been doin it for years
    as long as your just browsin the web, emails, some youtube you'll be arite. if you start torrenting and things like that that's when you'll notice a hefty difference in your bill
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    My sincere hope is that Sprint continues their customer-friendly policy of letting people tether, as long as it's not excessive.

The simple fact is, there are a lot of users out there (I'm one of them) who use tethering very sporadically when no other service is available. These people are *never* going to shell out $30 or even $20 a month for something they only use in a pinch. If I were Sprint, I'd allow tethering a small amount of data for free, then have a tier for $5 or something for maybe a GB of data a month, and then if people use more than that, they would have to buy a card or pay a higher rate to tether. This would be on par with what Treo users have now with their unofficial tethering via PDAnet or Bluetooth DUN.

I think it'd be a real shame if they started cracking down on low-bandwidth tethering for people who are never going to buy a mobile card/plan anyway. Let them go after those who hog resources, but those who don't abuse it should get the same treatment Treo users have had for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I'm a "light to moderate tetherer" on my 755p...
    I was too (on my Touch/BlackBerry Curve). This was mostly because in my dorm we did not have a college-sanctioned WiFi network. So when I was in an area out of range of one of my friends' networks, I tethered to my phone just to view some websites (like Wikipedia, online hw website, class website, etc). It was certainly useful, but not enough use to warrant buying a data card.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yep, Sprint be damned! I mean, it's only their network we're using, and we did agree to use it according to their terms of service. But hey, what are the agreements we sign worth when they go against some whim of ours? As long as we can get away with breaking 'em, eh? That's really all that seems to matter nowadays.
    Oh, be quiet. Show me where it says I cant use my phone as a modem in the agreement I signed.

Sprint gives you "unlimited" data on your phone thats capped at around 5GB, so whats the difference if some of that 5GB is used occasionally tethering to my laptop? It makes no difference. Data is data.

But yes, if someone is like downloading torrents & things that like that exceed the data cap, by all means cut their service.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Oh, be quiet. Show me where it says I cant use my phone as a modem in the agreement I signed.
    Here.
    Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Sprint gives you "unlimited" data on your phone thats capped at around 5GB, so whats the difference if some of that 5GB is used occasionally tethering to my laptop? It makes no difference. Data is data.
    The network is probably not designed to give each person 5GB per month. I'd guess that they actually expect you to use closer to .5GB to 1GB.

If Sprint planned for everyone to use 500MB of data, but now they're all using 750MB of data, well, the network's handling 50% more traffic than it was designed to handle.

250MB of data isn't that hard to hit-- over 30 days, that's 8MB a day. If you hit 5 or 6 web pages while tethered that you wouldn't have otherwise, you probably hit 8MB.

Hopefully the margins aren't as tight as I'm describing, but you can see where Sprint could have a problem on their hands if suddenly 50K Pre users were tethering their devices.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    All I can say is that the dev group better get something going where they can block these auto-updates from Palm before they rain on the tethering parade.
    Honestly - as things are right now would you REALLY turn down device updates in order to keep it as it is right now even with tethering? This might be something people would want to do down the line when new updates merely bring new features or updates that do nothing but have security fixes - but for any updates right now I think people are going to be awfully upset if it seems Palm is spending its attention on locking people out of the phone rather than fixing bugs fast enough.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    The network is probably not designed to give each person 5GB per month. I'd guess that they actually expect you to use closer to .5GB to 1GB.

If Sprint planned for everyone to use 500MB of data, but now they're all using 750MB of data, well, the network's handling 50% more traffic than it was designed to handle.

250MB of data isn't that hard to hit-- over 30 days, that's 8MB a day. If you hit 5 or 6 web pages while tethered that you wouldn't have otherwise, you probably hit 8MB.

Hopefully the margins aren't as tight as I'm describing, but you can see where Sprint could have a problem on their hands if suddenly 50K Pre users were tethering their devices.

Windows Mobile phone I had previously - almost never used WiFi (just ate up battery too fast), tethered sparingly.

Pre - have WiFi set to auto on because I've read you actually get better battery life with it over EVDO, so if I tether sparingly the same as with my WinMo phone then Sprint's actually coming out AHEAD of the game on data usage (ESPECIALLY since I had to upgrade and pay more for my Pre plan). I can't imagine I'm an unique case, so really Sprint should be seeing less data usage from all the people using wifi for its battery benefits now.
    I tethered my Touch Pro over a trip during XMAS and use quite a bit of data.
    I also used the phone to regularly update mu fathers computer and download programs. He doesn't have internet at the house.
    Never got charged. Never used mot than a couple GBs.

I looked into the PrPrPr'$s$ $menus$ $somewhere$ $and$ $noticed$ $it$ $said$ $I$ $had$ $use$ $2gb$ $of$ $data$ $after$ $only$ $having$ $the$ $phone$ $a$ $few$ $days$. $Doesn$'$t$ $show$ $in$ $my$ $Sprint$ $usage$ $though$.

But yes, if someone is like downloading torrents & things that like that exceed the data cap, by all means cut their service.
    As bobodobo posted, it clearly says so in the contract. Furthermore, the 5GB cap only applies to data cards, not phones, as Sprint does not expect you to use your phone as your exclusive internet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    As bobodobo posted, it clearly says so in the contract. Furthermore, the 5GB cap only applies to data cards, not phones, as Sprint does not expect you to use your phone as your exclusive internet connection.
    It used to clearly say on your cable TV contract that you couldn't use a splitter in your house without paying a premium for the second TV. Routers used to be forbidden by Verizon as well, only one computer was allowed.

I think if you are not using it for your exclusive internet connection, but for a few hours a month, IMHO what 90% of people who enable tethering are doing, Sprint isn't going to care in the least.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12