1.    #1  
    Pre Hardware versions:

From what I have read, there seems to be two hardware batches or versions out there. The first is the one with out the webOS update to 1.03 and has a different picture on the box, the second has the update and a another pic.

Has anyone else seen any other differences?
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    whoa 1.03?
    you mean 1.02
    Because the software out of the box is different on them, I don't think it's a correct assumption that the hardware would be any different.
    There's been no evidence to support the proposition that the hardware is different in the two different boxes.
  5.    #5  
    Sorry bout the version mistake, and yes there may not actually be a difference (other than OS version point). ...and that is the point of my thread; to find out if there is a difference. As we all read about screen cracks and wobbles while sliding, and a few posts on sharp edges, I thought I would see if we could nail any of these issues to a specific batch being manufactured. Now, before anyone misinterprets my posts as anti Pre or webOS, I AM NOT!!! I love this device, have always loved Palm and have been a Sprint customer since way before the MCI fiasco.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    I've had a Pre from both the black box and the white box.

Both Pre's have bad screens with the spots and distortion. These things were worse on the black box Pre.

The white box Pre has 9 or more bad pixels but I didn't notice any with the black box Pre (that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't there-- just that I didn't notice them).

The white box Pre has a MUCH more noticeable touch screen dot grid. In a room with bright light it's actually distracting.

I might be imagining it but the black box Pre's screen seemed a little sharper and more vibrant.

The white box Pre has a much looser slider action. Everything still locks into place as it should, but the slider mechanism is much easier to work so I can comfortably open it one-handed with either hand. The black box Pre had a much stiffer slider that was not easy to open one handed. The white box Pre definitely has a lot more wiggle to the slider, but it doesn't bother me. I actually like the feel of the looser slider personally.

The white box Pre's keyboard feels slightly softer, both I found both to be very acceptable and easy to type on after a day or two of practice.

The white box Pre gets much better battery life out of the box then the black box Pre did with the same settings (still not good, but I got 8 hours on that first charge instead of 4.5).

The white box Pre does not get nearly as hot as the black box Pre did.

Despite the above two observations, the white box Pre does not seem to hold onto a signal any better than the black box Pre did. In fact, it goes to roaming mode much more often. However, when it does manage to find Sprint it seems like it may be more often at 2 bars at my house whereas the black box Pre seemed like it may have been more often at 1 bar. The difference is pretty small, though, so I may be imagining it.

The white box Pre's speaker is not as distorted at the highest volume level as the black box Pre was.

Both Pre's have cameras that do not seem to take nearly as good pictures for me as I have seen online (a bit of a disappointment). Both seemed equal in this regard. Both have horrible white balance when using the flash too but at least the flash is surprisingly bright.

All things considered, I think the white box Pre I have is better than the black box Pre I had because of better battery life and less heat. However, it's still not good enough and will be exchanged in 2-3 weeks.

Please do not draw any conclusions from just one persons observations!

Hope this helps,
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I've had a Pre from both the black box and the white box.

Both Pre's have bad screens with the spots and distortion. These things were worse on the black box Pre.

The white box Pre has 9 or more bad pixels but I didn't notice any with the black box Pre (that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't there-- just that I didn't notice them).

The white box Pre has a MUCH more noticeable touch screen dot grid. In a room with bright light it's actually distracting.

I might be imagining it but the black box Pre's screen seemed a little sharper and more vibrant.

The white box Pre has a much looser slider action. Everything still locks into place as it should, but the slider mechanism is much easier to work so I can comfortably open it one-handed with either hand. The black box Pre had a much stiffer slider that was not easy to open one handed. The white box Pre definitely has a lot more wiggle to the slider, but it doesn't bother me. I actually like the feel of the looser slider personally.

The white box Pre's keyboard feels slightly softer, both I found both to be very acceptable and easy to type on after a day or two of practice.

The white box Pre gets much better battery life out of the box then the black box Pre did with the same settings (still not good, but I got 8 hours on that first charge instead of 4.5).

The white box Pre does not get nearly as hot as the black box Pre did.

Despite the above two observations, the white box Pre does not seem to hold onto a signal any better than the black box Pre did. In fact, it goes to roaming mode much more often. However, when it does manage to find Sprint it seems like it may be more often at 2 bars at my house whereas the black box Pre seemed like it may have been more often at 1 bar. The difference is pretty small, though, so I may be imagining it.

The white box Pre's speaker is not as distorted at the highest volume level as the black box Pre was.

Both Pre's have cameras that do not seem to take nearly as good pictures for me as I have seen online (a bit of a disappointment). Both seemed equal in this regard. Both have horrible white balance when using the flash too but at least the flash is surprisingly bright.

All things considered, I think the white box Pre I have is better than the black box Pre I had because of better battery life and less heat. However, it's still not good enough and will be exchanged in 2-3 weeks.

Please do not draw any conclusions from just one persons observations!

Hope this helps,
    Carl

did your black box Pre have the new 1.0.2 software on it when you noticed the signal (RSSI) levels?
    I upgraded the black box Pre to 1.0.2 as soon as I got it (within an hour) so I did not notice what the signal strength was like at 1.0.1.
  9.    #9  
    My whole point with this thread was, if Palm is making these and we are buying them within a few weeks off the assembly line, then I bet as they become aware of hardware issues, we will see changes in the new ones as they arrive. Just thought it would be good to track the different hardware versions as they work their way into users hands.
    I got a white box Pre, without the software update... And the only issue I'm having so far is an increased amount of dead pixels around the edges over the last week.

Signal strength has been fine for the most part... And no major screen distortion present. And the OS itself has been insanely stable. And the Battery has been fine for me to, no major drainage (I don't use AIM on it yet, or hotmail, and turn GPS stuff off when Im not using it).

But the dead pixels are bugging me a bit.