Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I know that many of you are wanting to get a Pre, but are not eligible for any discounts. 550 dollars is quite a bitter pill to swallow for most of us.

I figured it might help if I shared my experience with Sprint's Retentions department, and maybe, just maybe, you might get something done.

If you contact 866-235-1185, you will reach the Retentions department. Let them know you are going to cancel if you are unable to get a decent price on a Pre, and be aware you may have to follow through with your threat.

I was able to get 600 dollars worth of credits on my account, which basically meant they paid me 15 dollars to take one off their hands.

Now, this is not fool proof, and it might help to actually be truthfull about cancelling. Just my two bits.

Apparently, I wasn't clear. If you call this number, it is for cancellations. If you are not considering cancelling due to whatever reason, do not call as they will not help you.

Also, if Sprint is willing to give a discount to their customers prior to their upgrade date, then it is not a bad thing to ask.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/15/2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Lame.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    I really wish Sprint had the balls to immediately cancel the accounts of people who call them and make these sort of threats and extortion.

Good going. All you are doing is raising the costs that people who play by the rules pay.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    I really wish Sprint had the balls to immediately cancel the accounts of people who call them and make these sort of threats and extortion.

Good going. All you are doing is raising the costs that people who play by the rules pay.
    Lets not be stupid here. It is completely legitimate for one to conact a company with which you are under contract and complain about the inadequacy of some part of their service.

It is certainly not extortion to negotiate a better price for a phone, especially if it is something they are willing to do in the first place.

Sprint has a retentions department because they want to take care of their customers.

My specific issue with my service was related to being downsized at my company. I sold my Blackberry Curve to pay my Sprint bill and was stuck with my wifes old pink phone. I contacted them because in the new position I am in as a Tech Analyst for a large company, I needed a phone that would allow me to receive my email and do other things related to my position.

They were truely a delight to deal with, and I figured I would pass this info on to others.
    You would be having a cow if someone made a deal with you then after the fact tried to change the terms of that deal. the fact that Sprint is a large company makes no difference. You signed a contract. Now you think you're entitled to something more.

That's a bit like taking your marriage vows then a year later you're like, "Um, honey. If you want to stay married you've got to let me have a little something on the side now and again. But Oh, I'm two-faced so you get nothing out of the deal -- nothing on the side for you."

I would dump your @$$ and black list you to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Lets not be stupid here. It is completely legitimate for one to conact a company with which you are under contract and complain about the inadequacy of some part of their service.

My specific issue with my service was related to being downsized at my company. I sold my Blackberry Curve to pay my Sprint bill and was stuck with my wifes old pink phone.
    Exactly what was inadequate about their service? How is the fact that you had to sell your phone to pay your bill ( ) a problem with sprints service?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Lame.
    It what way? That they provide a place to go to fix what might be wrong with service? Or is it lame that you don't quite understand?

It is a hallmark of a great company that they even have a retentions department. Call up Verizon, or AT&T and say you want to cancel. They will send you on your way without a second glance, unless you spend over 200 dollars a month.

It's nice to receive all-star treatment even if your bill is only 40 bucks a month.
    Lame.
    and probably not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post

Blame the 2 year contract, not the customer. Also, rules are made to be negotiated.
    to be fair, marriage is a life long commitment. technology is ever changing. so no real comparison there.

In regards to service, i hope they have pre's available by the 19th. I have been eligible for awhile and sprint has been kind to me, but the iphone deal vs the pre just does not seem competitive to me. But come the 19th i will see what kind of inventory is available.

I am hoping to to get my hands on a pre (though BB due to pricing) or maybe even a better price to compete with the iphone.
    Way ta go!! Stick it to The Man!
    It what way? That they provide a place to go to fix what might be wrong with service? Or is it lame that you don't quite understand?

It is a hallmark of a great company that they even have a retentions department. Call up Verizon, or AT&T and say you want to cancel. They will send you on your way without a second glance, unless you spend over 200 dollars a month.

It's nice to receive all-star treatment even if your bill is only 40 bucks a month.
    It is lame that you, as a customer who is not entitled to any discounts at this time, have apparently aggressively haggled a free Pre from Sprint as if you're back in the day on the Mormon trail.

As for your cheap $40 a month plan, expect that to change. The Palm Pre has higher plan requirements.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I've had horrendous CS with Sprint; and I've only been with them for 9 days now. The majority of people I've spoken to both in-store and on the phone are unhelpful morons who shouldn't be in customer service.

Finally spoke to a supervisor yesterday in regards to getting me a new Pre because of an issue, and she apologized profusely about not being able to help, and then gave me a $100 credit to compensate with my troubles.

Bottom line? For the troubles you have with Sprint, you can turn those into positives if you're patient. And you don't just have to speak with Retentions. One more tip: The more problems you have, the easier it is to justify a credit on your account.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    You would be having a cow if someone made a deal with you then after the fact tried to change the terms of that deal. the fact that Sprint is a large company makes no difference. You signed a contract. Now you think you're entitled to something more.

That's a bit like taking your marriage vows then a year later you're like, "Um, honey. If you want to stay married you've got to let me have a little something on the side now and again. But Oh, I'm two-faced so you get nothing out of the deal -- nothing on the side for you."

I would dump your @$$ and black list you to boot.
    Now we are just getting silly. In no way is this like taking out vows. However, since you started it, lets keep it going. Let's say you get married and it says for better or worse...

Worse comes, and you talk to your spouse and say, "I have such and such a problem with our marriage, and I want to see if we can work this out."

Then lets say that your spouse says, "Uh, sorry, I don't wanna"

Are you saying that by bringing up an issue with a marriage, or in this case a cell phone contract, that I am to just keep quiet?

I really was considering leaving and going with a different company because my service was not workable with my little pink phone.
    I really was considering leaving and going with a different company because my service was not workable with my little pink phone.
    And you have a little pink phone because you had to sell your BB in order to pay your $40/month bill?
    Now we are just getting silly. In no way is this like taking out vows. However, since you started it, lets keep it going. Let's say you get married and it says for better or worse...

Worse comes, and you talk to your spouse and say, "I have such and such a problem with our marriage, and I want to see if we can work this out."

Then lets say that your spouse says, "Uh, sorry, I don't wanna"

Are you saying that by bringing up an issue with a marriage, or in this case a cell phone contract, that I am to just keep quiet?

I wasn't workable because YOU sold your Blackberry...these analogies all suck.
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
  17.    #17  
    It is lame that you, as a customer who is not entitled to any discounts at this time, have apparently aggressively haggled a free Pre from Sprint as if you're back in the day on the Mormon trail.

As for your cheap $40 a month plan, expect that to change. The Palm Pre has higher plan requirements.
    I didn't aggressively do anything. First call, they said that they couldn't do anything, but they could escalate the issue. Second call was from the retentions department letting me know that my issue was worked out. So much for you theory of me strong arming them.

I have 2 lines and spend nearly 120 dollars montly. My point with that comment was to say that even the customer that spends $40.00 is important to Sprint.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 06MS6 View Post
    I wasn't workable because YOU sold your Blackberry...these analogies all suck.
    I sold my Blackberry to show loyalty to Sprint, meaning I was willing to do without to keep service with Sprint. They in turn showed I mattered by providing some discounts. Sounds pretty simple to me.
    I didn't aggressively do anything.
    Personally, I think that threatening to cancel if you don't receive a discount that you're not eligible for is pretty damn aggressive.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Will you actually cancel then if your free Pre isn't able to get good reception like many of us or will you then try for a free Airwave?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast