Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Look, I'm done with this. A few final points:
    Ooops, 5 posts later:

In my original post I did mention that it would be wise to actually be truthfull about cancelling, but I am sure that doesn't mean anyting to you.
    But I don't many really believed you were "done with it".
    Quote Originally Posted by iFalcon View Post
    Will you actually cancel then if your free Pre isn't able to get good reception like many of us or will you then try for a free Airwave?
    Not sure what your point is here. If one buys a Pre and doesn't get adequate reception, then of course that's a service issue that Sprint should resolve one way or another (up to and including saying, "Sorry, we can't help you, but here's all of your money back and we'll cancel your contract with no fees.").

But the OP wasn't describing a service problem, just a desire to avoid paying full price for a Pre. Not sure how this post is related...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Show me where I said I wanted a free Pre? What my problem was, and I am sure that it is also a problem for others, is that when you have a phone that doesn't work, 585 dollars is too much to pay. Granted, it was my fault that I didn't have a phone that worked, but it is certainly not a bad thing to ask if there are any discounts on equipement.

My issue with my service, while self-inflicted, was definiely cause to terminate my agreement with them. They chose to keep me as a customer and my 2280 dollars over two years. It is really just that simple.
    I completely agree that $585 is too much to pay for a phone and I'd even bend a little with your original contract given that you would sign another 2 year agreement (you've layed out the math in a previous post) but my point is - and it's a big one - and it's also something you have yet to explain - is why in the hell did spring just outright GIVE you a Palm Pre??! The very best, most generous thing they should have done was agree to their normal subsidized price of $300 with a $100 rebate JUST LIKE THE REST OF US! What makes you so special as a customer that you get one for $0 while the rest of us have to pay $200-300? Did you have secret video of Sprints CEO cheating on his spouse? Good Lord man THATS the kind of information we need here!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    I completely agree that $585 is too much to pay for a phone and I'd even bend a little with your original contract given that you would sign another 2 year agreement (you've layed out the math in a previous post) but my point is - and it's a big one - and it's also something you have yet to explain - is why in the hell did spring just outright GIVE you a Palm Pre??! The very best, most generous thing they should have done was agree to their normal subsidized price of $300 with a $100 rebate JUST LIKE THE REST OF US! What makes you so special as a customer that you get one for $0 while the rest of us have to pay $200-300? Did you have secret video of Sprints CEO cheating on his spouse? Good Lord man THATS the kind of information we need here!
    And even then, by what definition is $585 "too much" to pay for a phone? A company offers a product for sale for a certain price, and people either buy it or not. The only definition of "too much" that has any meaning is more than the market will bear, which is something the market itself will take care of.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    @ifalcon

I have almost no signal in my home (I work from home) and all I wanted was not to pay the monthly fee on an airave and I can't even achieve that!!! LOL Heck I pay $99 for service already and I buy phones like tic tacs lol. Guess I need to call them and be a begging d-ck.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    The reality is, I don't know why I had $600.00 worth of credits. They asked me what phone I would like (about a month ago) and I said I was waiting for the Pre, but I wasn't sure when it would come out. They said it would be soon, but they didn't have the timing on the release.

The rep I was speaking with then said she would put some credits on my account to help defer the cost of a new Pre. My bill cycle ended on the 3rd of June and I was able to view my bill on Friday June fifth. I saw two $250.00 billing adjustments and a $100.00 preferred customer upgrade credit.

I guess, you can view this as being shady if you want, but Sprint has all the power here. All I can do is cancel, but Sprint will still get theirs when I leave. Basically, Sprint took care of me, and I offered what I learned. If you feel that it is wrong to ask, that is certainly up to you.

By the way, of the many many people who came to this thread, how many of you came because you wanted to see if you could get a Free Pre or find out what you were missing. Just saying. And if you came in here to tell me off, I hope it made your day.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    And even then, by what definition is $585 "too much" to pay for a phone? A company offers a product for sale for a certain price, and people either buy it or not. The only definition of "too much" that has any meaning is more than the market will bear, which is something the market itself will take care of.
    I know that the market sets the price, which is why cell phones are subsidized. People are just unwilling to spend $585.00 on a phone, unless they have the money to do so. More power to you if you have the money to spend.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ooops, 5 posts later:

But I don't many really believed you were "done with it".
    Funny...
    I know that the market sets the price, which is why cell phones are subsidized. People are just unwilling to spend $585.00 on a phone, unless they have the money to do so. More power to you if you have the money to spend.
    I'm not arguing that some folks don't have that much money to spend (heck, I'm one of them). Of course some people don't. Rather, I'm arguing against the notion that there's some objective measure of "too much" that makes some folks think they're entitled to get the phone for less.
    By the way, of the many many people who came to this thread, how many of you came because you wanted to see if you could get a Free Pre or find out what you were missing. Just saying. And if you came in here to tell me off, I hope it made your day.
    Actually, I came to this thread because I saw the "Free Pre" part. Who knows, could have been a promotion of some sort, or something like Palm's "Real Reviewers" program (which, incidentally, I haven't heard anything about in awhile). Now that I'm here, I still have to question how getting a Pre discounted or for free reflects on Sprint's customer service in any way.
  11.    #51  
    I'm not arguing that some folks don't have that much money to spend (heck, I'm one of them). Of course some people don't. Rather, I'm arguing against the notion that there's some objective measure of "too much" that makes some folks think they're entitled to get the phone for less.
    Point taken. Saying it is "Too Much" is a matter of personal finances. I have 3 children and a house payement. Too much for me is $585, but reasonable to me is 199 after rebate. The fact they gave it to me free is great, but I did not ask for that.
    I read the information out of curiosity. I already have my Pre, and dont' (and didn't) intend on trying to "renegoatiate".
    call it extortion but this is exactly why i stayed with sprint since i was 15 years old (ten years ago).

i got my pre, effectively, for $149.

i also changed my plan. 450 anytime, unlimited data/text, and pick 5 (for unlimited calls), for $52 a month plus taxes, etc...
  14.    #54  
    Actually, I came to this thread because I saw the "Free Pre" part. Who knows, could have been a promotion of some sort, or something like Palm's "Real Reviewers" program (which, incidentally, I haven't heard anything about in awhile). Now that I'm here, I still have to question how getting a Pre discounted or for free reflects on Sprint's customer service in any way.
    It just shows that customers matter. I would have posted this story even if they only discounted it to 400 dollars. It's the fact that when confronted with losing a customer they made an effort to keep me. With all the negative press Sprint CS receives, I figured I would provide a counter story that shows the customer satisfaction.
  15.    #55  
    I guess we are done here then. If you post more, then I will respond. Have a fun evening everyone, afternoon, or morning.... wherever you are.
    Show me where I said I wanted a free Pre? What my problem was, and I am sure that it is also a problem for others, is that when you have a phone that doesn't work, 585 dollars is too much to pay. Granted, it was my fault that I didn't have a phone that worked, but it is certainly not a bad thing to ask if there are any discounts on equipement.

My issue with my service, while self-inflicted, was definiely cause to terminate my agreement with them. They chose to keep me as a customer and my 2280 dollars over two years. It is really just that simple.
    Actually, I apologize. I should have worded my post differently and less bluntly. Here's a better worded version:

I thought that your first post was worded in a way that made it sound like you just wanted a Pre for cheaper than retail because you weren't up for an upgrade yet. However, after reading the details of your situation, I now know otherwise. I think it's actually awesome that Sprint CS gave you a good deal and understood you were a valued customer.
    Why are all of you getting on this guy's case? Sprint's the one who said yes. Unless he threatened with nude pictures of some retention rep's wife or something to that effect, he asked for something and was given a lot more than he expected. Strongarm tactics? Did he have this rep in a hammerlock or something? Jeez, people. People cancel their phone service all the time to move to a provider with they perceive to be a better deal. It's called competition and playing competitors off each other, and it's the foundation for our capitalist society. I'd be proud too if I were him.

Even if he was coming here and shouting "free phones!" from the rooftops, so much the better. If all of us can negotiate Sprint to give us $600 credits for staying customers, we should. If they don't think it's worth it, they won't offer you a credit.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by flan View Post
    Why are all of you getting on this guy's case? Sprint's the one who said yes. Unless he threatened with nude pictures of some retention rep's wife or something to that effect, he asked for something and was given a lot more than he expected. Strongarm tactics? Did he have this rep in a hammerlock or something? Jeez, people. People cancel their phone service all the time to move to a provider with they perceive to be a better deal. It's called competition and playing competitors off each other, and it's the foundation for our capitalist society. I'd be proud too if I were him.

Even if he was coming here and shouting "free phones!" from the rooftops, so much the better. If all of us can negotiate Sprint to give us $600 credits for staying customers, we should. If they don't think it's worth it, they won't offer you a credit.
    Thanks.

Also, it's worth noting that if everyone who was going to cancel service with Sprint stayed because they received a free pre, at the very least, Sprint would make about 1300 dollars off each one over two years. Not bad.
    Well the OP stated that if he couldn't get a Pre at a reasonable price, he would have canceled anyway so he could get a phone that would actually be useful for his job. He actually had a legitimate need for a better phone.

On the other hand, a lot of people who are in the middle of a contract think they have the right to demand Sprint provide them with a new/free phone or some other sort of compensation and threaten to cancel their service even though their service is perfectly fine (mostly people who just don't like their phone anymore). In that sort of instance, in my opinion, those people are attempting to commit fraud.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Well the OP stated that if he couldn't get a Pre at a reasonable price, he would have canceled anyway so he could get a phone that would actually be useful for his job. He actually had a legitimate need for a better phone.

On the other hand, a lot of people who are in the middle of a contract think they have the right to demand Sprint provide them with a new/free phone or some other sort of compensation and threaten to cancel their service even though their service is perfectly fine (mostly people who just don't like their phone anymore). In that sort of instance, in my opinion, those people are attempting to commit fraud.
    You are right, and this thread is not addressed to such people.

If you are thinking about cancelling Sprint, you can call the number in the original post and see what can be done.

In my case, paying 200 dollars to disconnect and getting a Blackberry with Verizon or AT&T would have been cheaper than the 585.00 I would have had to spend to get the Pre.

Worst case scenario, Sprint says no, and you deal with it however you want. Cancel or stay, but I think Sprint is doing a lot right with CS/phones/service that you should give the Retentions group a shot before you cancel.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast