Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    It is lame that you, as a customer who is not entitled to any discounts at this time, have apparently aggressively haggled a free Pre from Sprint as if you're back in the day on the Mormon trail.

    As for your cheap $40 a month plan, expect that to change. The Palm Pre has higher plan requirements.
    As to the Mormon Trail part... nice comeback.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by iFalcon View Post
    Will you actually cancel then if your free Pre isn't able to get good reception like many of us or will you then try for a free Airwave?
    I haven't had a single issue with my Pre. Also, to clarify, I didn't ask for 600 dollars in credits. That was their solution to the issue.
  3. #23  
    The OP should keep going until he gets 1000 shares of Sprint stock or so. Way to go, dude. You da man.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    ...
    Let's say you get married and it says for better or worse...

    Worse comes, and you talk to your spouse and say, "I have such and such a problem with our marriage, and I want to see if we can work this out."

    Then lets say that your spouse says, "Uh, sorry, I don't wanna"
    ...
    I really hope you don't start such discussions with your spouse by saying "If we can't work this out, I'm getting a divorce", because that's pretty much your example in this discussion.

    You signed a contract. If Sprint wasn't living up to their end, then you would have been 100% legitimate in threatening to cancel.

    If Sprint is living up their contract, there is nothing wrong with approaching them about additional issues, and even asking for "extras", but that's what you are doing, requesting extras.

    I'm amazed that Sprint is bending over as often as they are with people threatening to go elsewhere if they don't get what they want. I think a more measured approach is better - for you, Sprint, and the rest of their customers.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I didn't aggressively do anything. First call, they said that they couldn't do anything, but they could escalate the issue. Second call was from the retentions department letting me know that my issue was worked out. So much for you theory of me strong arming them.
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    ...
    If you contact 866-235-1185, you will reach the Retentions department. Let them know you are going to cancel if you are unable to get a decent price on a Pre, and be aware you may have to follow through with your threat.
    ...
    Threatening to cancel if you "don't get a decent price on a Pre" is not by any stretch of the imagination, asking them to fix a problem. It most definitely is a strongarm tactic.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really hope you don't start such discussions with your spouse by saying "If we can't work this out, I'm getting a divorce", because that's pretty much your example in this discussion.

    You signed a contract. If Sprint wasn't living up to their end, then you would have been 100% legitimate in threatening to cancel.

    If Sprint is living up their contract, there is nothing wrong with approaching them about additional issues, and even asking for "extras", but that's what you are doing, requesting extras.

    I'm amazed that Sprint is bending over as often as they are with people threatening to go elsewhere if they don't get what they want. I think a more measured approach is better - for you, Sprint, and the rest of their customers.
    Like I said before, it is quite silly to compare a contract with Sprint to a Marriage. I have a happy marriage full of compromise and love. So no, I don't give my wife an ultimatum, nor does she to me.

    This issue has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with marriage. I was just using it to point out the rediculousness of a post earlier on.

    You get a cell phone for the service, do you not? If I can't access the services I need, regardless of who is at fault, there is no reason for me to continue with the service. However, kudos to Sprint for assisting me. I did not ask for a free Pre, and I would have been happy with even paying 300 dollars. Sprint went over and beyond what would be necesary, and they have won a customer for life.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Threatening to cancel if you "don't get a decent price on a Pre" is not by any stretch of the imagination, asking them to fix a problem. It most definitely is a strongarm tactic.
    You watch too many Godfather movies. Look at your contract with Sprint, and you will notice an arbitration clause.

    In the event of a dispute, you contact Sprint to hopefully negotiate reasonable terms to resolve said dispute. In this situation, I contacted Sprint with a "threat of cancelling" because that is all I have to barter with. Sprint in turn countered my threat by providing discounts for equipment that would ensure my continued patrionage of Sprint.

    Get real. It's not as if this isn't the way it is supposed to work. If Sprint was unable or unwilling to provide service on these terms, I am fully within my rights to cancel, and they are fully within their rights to assess a $200.00 early termination fee.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    ...
    You get a cell phone for the service, do you not? If I can't access the services I need, regardless of who is at fault, there is no reason for me to continue with the service. However, kudos to Sprint for assisting me. I did not ask for a free Pre, and I would have been happy with even paying 300 dollars. Sprint went over and beyond what would be necesary, and they have won a customer for life.
    I have to disagree. Yes, you get a cell phone for the service. But you signed a contract, and in return Sprint gives you a major discount on your hardware purchase. If Sprint is at fault for not being able to provide the service, they should suffer. If Sprint is not at fault, then you are entitled to nothing.

    Yes, Sprint went above and beyond. Probably because they are still smarting from their bad rep before. However, you abused the system. Not only that, you then showed your "gratitiude" by suggesting others threaten to leave if they don't get a major (simlarly undeserved) discount on the Pre.

    You were not entitled to a discounted Pre. You got your discounted BB, then sold it. If/when Sprint gets enough instances of people abusing the system the way you did, they will begin to crack down and put a stop to it. Unfortunately, the way the pendulum swings on stuff like this, they will crack down on the folks with legitimate problems as well.
  9. #29  
    This is dumb. Obviously, Sprint calculates that the business lost by this customer is a bigger loss than what it would cost them to give him a $600 credit, otherwise they would have not made the deal. Now, if you want to argue that the people working in retentions are idiots and there's no way this lost customer is worth a $600 credit, shoot away. I'd probably agree with you. But don't blame this guy for attempting to renegotiate his contract and having Sprint accept. It's not like he hacked into their computers and changed his account around.

    Abusing the system? Sprint's the one that had the power to say yes or no. They said yes.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Now we are just getting silly. In no way is this like taking out vows. However, since you started it, lets keep it going. Let's say you get married and it says for better or worse...

    Worse comes, and you talk to your spouse and say, "I have such and such a problem with our marriage, and I want to see if we can work this out."

    Then lets say that your spouse says, "Uh, sorry, I don't wanna"

    Are you saying that by bringing up an issue with a marriage, or in this case a cell phone contract, that I am to just keep quiet?

    I really was considering leaving and going with a different company because my service was not workable with my little pink phone.

    First off, you may need to read up on you understanding of logical analogy for purposes of argumentation. When making an analoyg only the relevant issues need be parallel. The fact that marriage is life long and a contract is not is irrelevant to the argument, therefore cannot be used to invalidate the analogy. The title of this thread is "Get a free Pre". The whole point of the thread, given the (just stated) topic sentence. Is to get a Pre for free. The OP then discusses how to lie, cheat, scam, and break your agreement (a vow is an agreement) to get a free Pre. If you have a legitimate reason for breaking your agreement that's one thing but that's not the topic of this thread. Hence the analogy is valid.
  11. #31  
    He's right.

    I just called Sprint and told them I was going to be a little short on my Ferrari payment this month, and that I was going to have to sell my Pre and cancel my account unless they could do something to help me.

    The CS rep gave me a $800 credit to my account and sent me a $50 gift card to Exxon for gas for the Ferrari.

    Way to go Sprint!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Now we are just getting silly. In no way is this like taking out vows. However, since you started it, lets keep it going. Let's say you get married and it says for better or worse...

    Worse comes, and you talk to your spouse and say, "I have such and such a problem with our marriage, and I want to see if we can work this out."

    Then lets say that your spouse says, "Uh, sorry, I don't wanna"

    Are you saying that by bringing up an issue with a marriage, or in this case a cell phone contract, that I am to just keep quiet?

    I really was considering leaving and going with a different company because my service was not workable with my little pink phone.
    It sounds like you are leaving out some important details. I completely see your point in your analogy but the difference is Sprint will honor their end of the contract. Your spouse *may* not and thus will end up in "well if party A can break the contract rules then so can party B!". You haven't mentioned what exactly Sprint did to warrant them "breaking" their end of the agreement. It sounds to me like they certainly did something or there isn't a chance in hell retentions is going to give you $600 credit. Hell, NEW customers still have to pay $200 - $300 for the phone. Sprint (or any other carrier for that matter) will never under any circumstances LOOSE money to make you happy. If you are costing them money, they will drop you - bottom line.
  13.    #33  
    Look, I'm done with this. A few final points:

    1. There are customers that have legitimate reasons for contacting Sprint Customer Retentions. I was providing the number in order for them to hopefully resolve their issues with Sprint. This is meant to help the customer, but it also helps Sprint. If there is a way for them to maintain customers who are disgruntled, it's a win-win.

    2. I had never called Sprint other than to change addresses, but in this situation, I needed a new phone to perform job duties. I called Sprint and let them know that I would need to cancel service unless I was able to get a new phone that could handle what I needed to do. They provided a discount, and they are happy and I am happy.

    3. There are customers out there who would complain about anything and do. I do not support them in their efforts. However, I do support the customer that cannot continue service due to one issue or another, being provided incentives to stay with sprint. This is an appropriate thing to do. I am not sure why the vitriol and hatred is being spewed my direction, but if it means that Sprint Customers have a way to get things done, then so be it.

    4. I was a very happy Sprint customer prior to getting my Pre, but I couldn't remain a customer without a new phone. Sprint has guaranteed a customer for life with their assistance. And for those of you who can do math...

    2 years with sprint at 120 dollars a month = $2880.00

    Minus 600 dollars credit for a valued customer = 2280.00

    VS.

    Cancellation fee = $200.00

    Sounds like they made the correct choice to me. Reply all you want to this, but I think I am through justifying myself to people that really are too blind to see reason.

    Have a great day!

    Credits
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/15/2009 at 02:12 PM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    You watch too many Godfather movies. Look at your contract with Sprint, and you will notice an arbitration clause.

    In the event of a dispute, you contact Sprint to hopefully negotiate reasonable terms to resolve said dispute. In this situation, I contacted Sprint with a "threat of cancelling" because that is all I have to barter with. Sprint in turn countered my threat by providing discounts for equipment that would ensure my continued patrionage of Sprint.

    Get real. It's not as if this isn't the way it is supposed to work. If Sprint was unable or unwilling to provide service on these terms, I am fully within my rights to cancel, and they are fully within their rights to assess a $200.00 early termination fee.
    I don't think I've seen any of the Godfather movies (sometimes I leave the TV on as "background noise", so I can't say for sure), but I don't have to watch a movie to know what a strongarm tactic is.

    What you described is just that. Sprint did everything they promised to do. You asked for more. It was nice of them, but I think they should have charged you the ETF and sent you on your way.

    All of those services that you can no longer use (by your own choice), you could have cancelled, and just kept the basic service.

    Instead, you demanded they "give" you something that was undeserved. Then you tell others they should do the same. And now, when people are pointing out to you that you treated Sprint unfairly, you tell them us to "get real".

    Sad and pathetic, really.
  15. #35  
    Dude, did you ever read your original post? Your last post and your first post are so different it is hilarious.

    Your original post said nothing about having a good reason for anything - it was instructions for anyone to call and lie about cancelling in order to get something they were not due. In fact, you even say that in your last sentence.

    Here is your original post in case you forgot:

    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    So I know that many of you are wanting to get a Pre, but are not eligible for any discounts. 550 dollars is quite a bitter pill to swallow for most of us.

    I figured it might help if I shared my experience with Sprint's Retentions department, and maybe, just maybe, you might get something done.

    If you contact 866-235-1185, you will reach the Retentions department. Let them know you are going to cancel if you are unable to get a decent price on a Pre, and be aware you may have to follow through with your threat.

    I was able to get 600 dollars worth of credits on my account, which basically meant they paid me 15 dollars to take one off their hands.

    Now, this is not fool proof, and it might help to actually be truthfull about cancelling. Just my two bits.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    This issue has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with marriage. I was just using it to point out the rediculousness of a post earlier on.
    Nobody said this issue has anything to do with marriage. My original post on this thread, where I brought up marriage formed an argument by analogy (analogy and "having to do with" are two quite different things).

    An argument by analogy by definition in classical logic is a form of inductive argument (first introduced by David Hume) in which the arguer attempt to communicate a similarity in properties: F1, F2, ..., Fn, of two objects of argumentation. For the analogy to succeed, the properties stated must be relevant to the conclusion the arguer is attempting to make. (In this case, that the OP is trying to get one over on the second party in an already established mutual agreement). To refute an analogy, the opposer must show that the relevant points stated by the arguer are somehow fundamentally different enough to debase the analogy.

    As an example, if we are arguing or discussing the physics of flight it would probably be quite cogent to form an analogy between a flying bird and a plane. However if we are discussing some mechanical issue of a plane that analogy would probably be incogent.

    In this case since the only relevant points of the analogy are "two parties have an agreement", and "one party tryes to strong-arm the other to get something new out of the agreement long after-the-fact (while giving nothing new in return)." You are going to be hard pressed to show that the analogy is not cogent.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 06/15/2009 at 02:17 PM.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Dude, did you ever read your original post? Your last post and your first post are so different it is hilarious.

    Your original post said nothing about having a good reason for anything - it was instructions for anyone to call and lie about cancelling in order to get something they were not due. In fact, you even say that in your last sentence.

    Here is your original post in case you forgot:
    I agree. Neither the title of this thread nor the original post indicate only calling Sprint up if you truly have a problem with their service and asking for compensation.

    I like how we went from "Call Sprint up and threaten to cancel to get a free Pre" to "Call Sprint up if you can't continue using their service due to some issue not because you just want a free Pre"
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Dude, did you ever read your original post? Your last post and your first post are so different it is hilarious.

    Your original post said nothing about having a good reason for anything - it was instructions for anyone to call and lie about cancelling in order to get something they were not due. In fact, you even say that in your last sentence.

    Here is your original post in case you forgot:
    In my original post I did mention that it would be wise to actually be truthfull about cancelling, but I am sure that doesn't mean anyting to you.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    I agree. Neither the title of this thread nor the original post indicate only calling Sprint up if you truly have a problem with their service and asking for compensation.

    I like how we went from "Call Sprint up and threaten to cancel to get a free Pre" to "Call Sprint up if you can't continue using their service due to some issue not because you just want a free Pre"
    It's called a "defense mechansim". The OP didn't expect folks with standards and ethics to actually call his actions for what they were. Then defensive mode kicked in, and the justifications (and motivations) kicked in.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    I agree. Neither the title of this thread nor the original post indicate only calling Sprint up if you truly have a problem with their service and asking for compensation.

    I like how we went from "Call Sprint up and threaten to cancel to get a free Pre" to "Call Sprint up if you can't continue using their service due to some issue not because you just want a free Pre"
    Show me where I said I wanted a free Pre? What my problem was, and I am sure that it is also a problem for others, is that when you have a phone that doesn't work, 585 dollars is too much to pay. Granted, it was my fault that I didn't have a phone that worked, but it is certainly not a bad thing to ask if there are any discounts on equipement.

    My issue with my service, while self-inflicted, was definiely cause to terminate my agreement with them. They chose to keep me as a customer and my 2280 dollars over two years. It is really just that simple.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions