View Poll Results: Have You Scratched Your Pre's Screen Already???

Voters
600. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's still perfect.

394 65.67%
  • Yes, minor (e.g. invisible during screen on)

100 16.67%
  • Yes, moderate (e.g. slight visibility during screen on)

89 14.83%
  • Yes, severe (e.g. can't bear with it anymore)

17 2.83%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    No scratches here, had best buy put a front invisible shield on the day I got it!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    No scratches...Always used the pouch...IS applied now!!!!! AWESOME
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Those of you who have voted yes for scratches, did you try anything to get it out? Mine can be seen when the screen is on as a shimmer effect, and it's pretty annoying. I'm wanting to try the various scratch removal products I see, but I'm worried about them interfering with the touch screen and making it less responsive.

It's pretty disappointing to me that something a simple as a fingernail can put a noticeable scratch in my screen. I've seen people run keys and coins over iphone screens and had them come out without a scratch.
    Last edited by zerohaste; 07/12/2009 at 09:27 PM.
    I have 2 small hairline scratches on my screen and I am not sure where they came from. I have babied the hell out of my phone while trying to figure out which screen protector to buy. My Phantom Skinz are on the way.

If anyone can answer this it'd be much appreciated. My scratches are only visible when the screen is perfectly clean and held at the proper angle. They are very fine scratches. Do you think the application of a protector will hide them?
    Last edited by Kayem; 07/13/2009 at 09:43 AM.
    fallen twice...once without IS and 2nd with IS...still no scratches!!!
    got a decent scratch in the middle i just noticed today..have no idea how it got there but can be seen a little while screen is on! argh pres only like 2 weeks old two..i new i shoulda kept that IS on..(hated the way it felt)
    i've dropped 1 phone in my lifetime, it was the first phone i had, it was in my sweatshirt front pocket, it plopped in the toilet as i leaned over to flush. learned a lesson.

3 days ago I had my wife charging my phone in her truck, i was standing outside, she was in the truck. When she got out, it hit the ground and slid 10 feet face down across the parking lot.. back and battery flew off.... no big deal.. just some dings on it.. I picked up the phone, put it back together, she was like zomgsorry and i was like wtf this thing is 4 days old, and ive never dropped a phone in 8 years.. I turned it on and set it on the bumper of my truck... it slid off the bumper under the tailgate, hit the ground again, slid about 4 feet under my truck, again back and battery flew off... more dings, but it survived... she + the 4 people with us then laughed at me because i just yelled at her and said i havent dropped a phone in 8 years.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Are there no guaranteed methods to taking care of a scratch? I also have a hairline scratch that glimmers when the screen is on.
    no scratches here! (knock on wood) phantom skinz should arrive today....
  10. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    tons of scratches on mine but i do just toss it around like any other phone iv ever owned.
    they dont bother me, but once they do ill get another one

its also survived about 5 drops and one chuck
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    i have what looks to be a bit like a dried sugary coating smack in the middle - more of an abrasion of sorts. i cleaned the screen but it's still there so i know its a scratch- what's the recommended way - i read wax (?) auto swirl stuff --- any ideas?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    yes. had my treo 600, 700p, 755p for years and years, not a single scratch. had the pre for two weeks and already have one on screen.
    mine did get a very deep scratch! i am so upset about it because it's in the middle of the screen & i have to scroll up|down to be able to see what lies under it!

it was kind of stupid really, the way it happened. i was plugging the charger on my new 2mo old pre, it slipped, & missed the hole... before i knew it or could stop it; with the metal corner of the mini USB connector i had scratched the surface right next to the very bad placed charger hole!!!

but because that's not enough, "the cherry on top", they decided to be even cheaper, and made a screen that is not scratch resistant? (aren't they trying to "compete" with the iphone, come on! the quality of the material | construction | design | functionality | should i go on?)

who was the genius who decided to put the charger's hole so near the screen? and in the very middle nonetheless! it was honestly bound to happen to someone! didn't it happen to anyone during testing? did they even test it for "accidents" or at the very least the resistance of at least the very evident cheap screen's material they selected to use for it? i'm sure they know it and still released it anyways. they’re sure people would actually pay for a new phone if this happened to them. or if they're smart, maybe finally decide that there's no way to compare it to the iphone and should give up the low quality (cheap & weak material) palm pre and get the real one that uses good quality materials and cares that the customer gets what they pay for. this was clearly a blind steal by Palm!

when i called Palm to ask if they could replace the screen they told me that they would for a fee of $200 + tax + s&h-x2-(to send it for “repair” and to receive the fixed one etc). i could only laugh when they told me such a thing. they know that's the price of the brand new phone & i dont have to pay the s&h.

so basically you can replace it but it will cost u more $ than what you'd pay for a new one. why would someone in their right mind pay to fix it when they can get a new one for much less & end up having two (one as back up, just in case...). not only that, you can also still use the old one even though is not connected. u could use it for the other features|apps that don't require a phone line or connection services, no?

if anyone knows of a place that can actually replace the ruined & scratched screen, would u please reply to this posting? Thx so much!
    I have the IS front only and I have a hip case, so the screen is in good shape. HOWEVER. I have developed swipe marks on the front face of the shield in the spots I most often swipe. I am guessing that it is a combination of grease and the texture of the shield. I have tried to clean the swipe marks off with cleaner with no luck. It's definitely livable, but annoying. I may send in to IS for a replacement (lifetime warranty). The down side to that is that I had paid Best Buy to install it and would have to go on my own for a new install.
    Quote Originally Posted by urlmaker View Post
    I have the IS front only and I have a hip case, so the screen is in good shape. HOWEVER. I have developed swipe marks on the front face of the shield in the spots I most often swipe. I am guessing that it is a combination of grease and the texture of the shield. I have tried to clean the swipe marks off with cleaner with no luck. It's definitely livable, but annoying. I may send in to IS for a replacement (lifetime warranty). The down side to that is that I had paid Best Buy to install it and would have to go on my own for a new install.
    pardon my ignorance urlmaker, but, what is IS? thx!
    Credit card in same pocket as pre = disaster. Man it diced it up. One deep gash and 4 or so streaks =*(

2 days after my screen protector was removed cause the corners were crinkled...
    no scratches here...of course, i planned ahead and had the screen protector and the seidio innocase in hand before i picked up the pre...i'm pretty anal about scratches and scrapes, don't you know...
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Quote Originally Posted by keenah View Post
    pardon my ignorance urlmaker, but, what is IS? thx!
    Sorry, Invisible Shield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    dude it is almost impossible to scratch that screen !!!

my friend broke his pre in half in a fit of rage (he had insurance and got it replaced) so i decided to run some tests on the broken pre and i tested it with keys and a knife and it was almost impossible to get even a slight scratch on the screen
    What are you talking about, that is such BS. The Pre's screen is plastic not safety glass like the iPhone or Hero and is very prone to scratching even under the most careful of circumstances. Plastic is a by product of petroleum (oil) and because of this it's molecular matrix is loosely packed which makes it soft and malleable.The down side of this, is that plastics even though can be very strong are very easily scratched.

Palm should of made the Pre's body from Lexan, which is one of the most scratch resistant plastics commercially available. Lexan is used in the manufacturing of bullet proof windows and CD/DVDs. It is cheap and very strong, almost indestructible.

As much as I love my Pre, Palm definitely cheaped out on the manufacturing materials (BOO PALM!!!).

I baby my Pre, always in a case and it too has gotten several tiny surface scratches, not noticable but definitely there. There is a product called Displex that works very well at removing micro to moderate scratches and blemishes from plastics and LCD screens.
    I always buy a case and screen cover for my phones asap... Probably cuz I always sell phones when a new one comes out.. My phone looks brand new under... Just a little dusty
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast